The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a p3320 and a 531. when I was in the US I went to a couple of wreckers and they looked at me stupid when I asked about them.
I did see a Diamond Reo in Minnesota. Just wondering if there are other owners. I also have Stewart Truck in bits. Neighbour has a Brockway

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Had a 1960 634C for many years, was one tough old girl. Before I had it, it had a pile driver mounted on it. 331 Reo Gold Comet engine with a 5 & 3 behind it. When I bought it, it had tandem 34000# rears but the power divider was done, so I stripped all the Hendrickson suspension out and replaced the whole works with a single 23500# and springs from a IH 220 V-liner. Was a fairly easy change over actually. Took the drive shaft in to a machine shop to have the rear yoke changed over to match the diff to existing driveline. Then put an 18ft Belmont box on it.

Was a faithful old friend for several years, would hold well over 400bu and nothing could stop it even in soft ground. You could crawl faster than it would go in compound low. I had put a oilfield bumper on it when I set it up, and as it needed exhaust as well, out of simplicity, run a straight pipe up the right side of the grille guard as a stack, so she not only looked, but sounded like one of a kind. Was no question the neighbors all knew when I was coming by:D

Unfortunately it got incinerated along with all my other grain trucks and other such stuff in a large fire while I was moving. Everything was parked in close proximity and losses were high because of such. Don't even have a good pic of it. Insurance valued it at 10K for a collector and 5K as working truck since it was registered. We agreed on $7500. Still think of it often and sure wish I still had it:(

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I was actually trying to look online for photos but stumbled across this read of the company REO and all the twists and turns it took over the years, how the depression affected sales and how war turned it around and of all things lawn mowers were made. Oh and it lists when your engine came out Alberta Buck.

https://reoclub.org/uploads/CHRONOLOGY_OF_REO_EVENTS_120513.pdf

Probably 20 years ago I was at a farm auction where the old timer had an REO Speedwagon sitting off to the side as one of the sons was saying he hoped to restore that some day. I have no idea what became of it but what a cool looking hood on that truck, certainly built for speed !.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still use these trucks. The 531 is a fire truck ( although it is probably to valuable to take to fires) It is more used for pumping to fill sprayer. It has a Red diamond petrol engine with a 5 speed and 2 speed single drive eaton. It was purchased new by a local transport firm. The P3320 has a 6/200 hp gold comet lansing engine .5 by 4 tranny and bogey drive. It was a cement truck and has been our grouper (seed truck) truck for 40 years. So both trucks are still in work.
I will have to work out how to posts pictures

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.