The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
curious because its been pretty tough in southern sask and I know else where but all there worried about is you know

·
Registered
976 Posts
Andjelic now expects the farmer to start paying property taxes on any new land agreements signed going forward. So glad to be done with a man like that.
It will sure tell who is hungry for land.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Funny I just checked Andjelic Land inc site.
Rm 213 that renter I heard is belly up and the according to the neighbour all weeds for 3 years.
Pretty lofty asking price IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
Never seen a website to rent land before.
I don't really now any of the particular areas well enough to say for a fact, but those look like some pretty spectacular rents they are expecting.
Agree with Bj, no one says you have to deal with anyone you don't want too and looks to me like the only way it gets rented out is by bid, so bid accordingly. If someone out bids you and gets it, well all the power to them.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised the guy who farmed that chunk in 213 is RB bait. The expected + a guess of $10 an acre taxes would be $67 a acre on clean square quarters. That mess looks like it’s half cultivable and would take a month of Sunday’s to actually measure out but off the cuff a $100+ an acre to go around in circles???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why wouldn’t the landlords ask for taxes?
If your area is like mine most guys seem to need as much land as possible so if you won’t pay it someone else will.
IMO Cut throat greed between farmers has fueled land rental prices more than landlords.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Why wouldn’t the landlords ask for taxes?
If your area is like mine most guys seem to need as much land as possible so if you won’t pay it someone else will.
IMO Cut throat greed between farmers has fueled land rental prices more than landlords.
Why would they ask for taxes?Call it whatever you want it’s just built into the rental price anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree it’s pointless.
Guess you could call it a buyers premium like the auction companies ?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Have noticed it's gotten a lot quieter here the last couple years. At one time when you went out and talked to people who were rapidly expanding and paying big prices, all they talked about was farm, farm, farm and how good things were. Now pretty much not a peep. I think along with Morris, there will be farms joining their ranks. I hate to say that, but when people are paying rent and buying land that your best crops ever only break even, an average year is devastating. As bad as this fall was, at least there was a crop to pay the bills.

Reactions: Combine Pilot

·
Registered
169 Posts
Now that climate change (supposably) is upon us, the reliability of production is not as assured as in the past. It all leads to more risk and the landlord is just trying to pass the risk onto to somebody else. If there are enough farmers out there willing to take on that risk then they will continue to do it.
Nothing new here really as all business is about managing risk and trying to pass it onto somebody else. The real problem is that farming often does not have enough profit margin to accommodate the risk.
It is much the same here in Australia.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Image is on the edge of the rented land in RM 213 mentioned above, (easier to see than under the red). Is the google image just from an exceptionally wet year, or are those permanent potholes? Would need a 12 ft seed drill to get between some of them, and even that would need sectional control. It says they have made a lot of improvement over the past three years, would be interesting to see the outcome. That could explain the weeds for three years.

Edit, here is the functioning link:Available Land – Andjelic Land

·
Registered
42 Posts
He definately doesn’t buy all high quality land like it says on his website
he has land in our rm that’s been Sitting with trees growing on it for years that isnt posted on his website for rent. But some of it was overgrown before he bought it and some after.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
View attachment 158114

Image is on the edge of the rented land in RM 213 mentioned above, (easier to see than under the red). Is the google image just from an exceptionally wet year, or are those permanent potholes? Would need a 12 ft seed drill to get between some of them, and even that would need sectional control. It says they have made a lot of improvement over the past three years, would be interesting to see the outcome. That could explain the weeds for three years.

Edit, here is the functioning link:Available Land – Andjelic Land
Uhm well, that particular block was a fully functioning farm for the owners previous to Andjelic.
No matter what it looks like on the map.
Welcome to farming in eastern Saskatchewan and the conditions we deal with here.
The amount of grain that comes to the city of Yorkton from the surrounding area is equivalent to the entire amount exported through the port of Thunder bay per year.
Wonder why our highways are all shot?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just be glad you’re not farming in Alberta then.
Those rent rates are pretty cheap compared to what we’re paying here.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just be glad you’re not farming in Alberta then.
Those rent rates are pretty cheap compared to what we’re paying here.
Funny how 20 some years ago in southern SASK, you couldn't even rent the land out for the land taxes. Looking at the land rents now for this land and the condition of that land with all the pot holes, its no wonder Andjelic has to post an ad for possible renters. The grass is not greener on the other side. Old timers used to say never make a decision to rent land covered in snow unless you know it! Seems like to me, today a lot of land owners think their land is all equal in value across the whole R Ms acreage . Any ways, Hats off to those guys and gals that farm the pot hole country!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Uhm well, that particular block was a fully functioning farm for the owners previous to Andjelic.
No matter what it looks like on the map.
Welcome to farming in eastern Saskatchewan and the conditions we deal with here.
The amount of grain that comes to the city of Yorkton from the surrounding area is equivalent to the entire amount exported through the port of Thunder bay per year.
Wonder why our highways are all shot?
No doubt it is likely productive ground, and the crops I've seen in the area have been impressive. I just can't imagine a big farmer with big modern equipment being willing, (or even able) to work around such obstacles. That is why I ask if the image is from an especially wet year, and most years it would be fenceline to fenceline?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts