The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm afraid the short answer is no.;):(
Other than don't do that type of material!

Reminds me of a joke.
Doctor, I broke my arm in three places.
Thing for you to do is stay out of them places!;)

Anyway, chopper doesn't plug, material bridges over top of the chopper rotor.
Always very tough straw and/or green second growth material.
Canola.

Yes, knives just turned, edges sharp and square.
Not running stationary knife bar in at all, completely out.

By the time blood curdling "Rotor Blockage" alarm sounds chopper door is bent back, have to unbolt to unplug and straighten, a big PITA.:mad:

I got rid of a TX 68 for always doing this!:(

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Reminds me of a joke.

Canola.

By the time blood curdling "Rotor Blockage" alarm sounds chopper door is bent back, have to unbolt to unplug and straighten, a big PITA.:mad:

Yes, frustrating! Same end result for an L2 Gleaner back in the day!
This summer we had the rotors out of my 08 590 and I noticed a foot long piece of rotor vane mounted almost crossways to the flow, right at the top and rear of the cage. It seemed to be counter productive to good flow and the only reason I could see for having it there might be to change the trajectory of the discharge from the rotors into the chopper. Any thoughts??? I have trouble on that machine with the pattern of straw discharge out of the chopper- too much at both outer edges. I made 2 deflectors that are adjustable with linear actuators to be able to have some control of straw pattern into the chopper. They have no effect on the straw pattern so I have to think there is a link between that piece of vane that is making the straw go in a totally unpredictable direction. That may be the answer to your problem. I told the techs to cut out that short vane but they had the rotors back in by the time I got back, vane still in:(

·
Registered
4,799 Posts

Reminds me of a joke.

Canola.

One of our combines was doing that all year.
1: do as tigercat said and bend the straw deflectors as far out of the way as possible.

2: flip chopper knives, already done. I'm not sure if this helps or not. But we did it just in case.

3: and most important make sure your rotory spreaders are running as fast as they are supposed too. On the combine that had the issue they were running 100 rpm slower than the other two. Had to put a new hydraulic pump on.

Never plugged again after doing all three.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We had the same issue. The first time it bridged, the sensor caught it in time, and no damage was done. Just had to dig it out. The second time we blew the back door out.

Flipped the knives, pulled the stationary knives out to half way, and then adjust the shear bar out. This shear bar, which I have no idea what the purpose of it is, was sticking in about 3/8" It is set flush now.

We were combing beans in a field that was previously RR alfalfa. First time it plugged I hit a small patch of alfalfa. So I excused the problem because of the alfalfa, but the second time it plugged I was in clean running.

Our door is wrecked, hate to know what its going to cost. The chopper engagement sensor got wrecked, we replaced that. Then the door wouldn't make contact with the sensor since it is bent. So that is zip tied on. The door has to be pulled up in the right position or our straw blockage sensor gets pushed. Pretty poor design overall

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
Don when you have problems like this it just kills your harvest efficiency. You need a big machine to make up the lost time of what a smaller combine like a 9770 sts would do in a day because it keeps running all day long.

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just move to the belt to the slow speed. The Rotor of the chopper is creating kind of a air cushion so that the material doesn`t fall into the chopper! Sounds a bit strange but it will help!!
Did that.
After the 4th time.
It's simple to do.
Good so far. Thanks lexpower.

At one time New Holland run feeder chain slats at 4 chain pin spacing, eventually going to 6, feeder chains are 6 or 8 pin slat spacing now.
Generally as spacing increased it fed better. Slowing a chopper rotor from 3300 to 1700 is kinda the same thing.
New Holland also spent 16 years installing the feeder chain backwards in TR's as well, but that's an entirely different thread!;)

In '09 I went through the entire harvest not realizing my chopper was on slow drive. On the last day of harvest on start up the monitor stated "Chopper in slow position".
Hey, how to be right on top of things monitor!;)

With Radial spreaders chopper speed doesn't affect straw spread anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This shear bar, which I have no idea what the purpose of it is
Basically it creates turbulence to help cut the straw even finer.
I always run the shear bar flush as well as stationary knives right out.
When evenly spread that's fine enough for me.:)
Don't want to waste any power!;)
Not sure how that would work in barley or wheat straw with the chopper in low speed though.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Will I ever be completely happy? Nah! Never improve stuff that way!

Don when you have problems like this it just kills your harvest efficiency. You need a big machine to make up the lost time of what a smaller combine like a 9770 sts would do in a day because it keeps running all day long.
It's bridged 4 times.
The first time we should not have been there at all.
The next two times happened at night. Check my profile. 60. Ready to quit for the night anyway.;)
Really lost no "important" time in those 3 cases, just the PITA of clearing it out.

But yesterday afternoon, that was counter productive. :(
A couple of young fellas, thanks Greg Kester and Mark Ferguson, both New Holland owners btw, helping me harvest (friends and neighbors, bet ya didn't think I had any friends ;))
had it cleared and belt switched to slow speed chopper drive in about 20 minutes.

LOL, you always learn something from virtually every event, this yesterday was no exception.
Due to the instant way you shut the machine down when you hear that blood curdling "Rotor Blockage" alarm you have an unintentional kill stall.
I guess because it was daylight for the first time bridging I happen to look in at the shoe.
It just happen to bridge on level ground.
The front 1/4 was almost clear of material, gradually increasing to, maybe, 20 mm depth at the very rear. Even side to side. Never seen so little material on a canola shoe.:eek::)
Hydraulic rotor covers closed, 4 sections of manual covers also in place, 80% rotor separation grates covered.
Losses virtually zero, either rotor or shoe. In fact, I grabbed a handful of chaff from rear of shoe, virtually no canola seed in it.
CEMOS Automatic handling settings as usual.
Cruise Pilot running combine to engine power limit.

Show me all those things and low losses on your 9770 sts will ya?
Waiting...;)

So...expect for bridging which looks like it might be fixed now, and that rattlely feeder chain, I'm pretty :).;)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.