The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1688 needs alot of augers and CNH now offers an auger kit with every auger in the combine except the end horizontal unloading auger. ($700 cheaper than priced individually) They are extended wear augers and I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of them. Obviously the vertical unloader and bubble up tank auger wear pretty fast, but would there be any negative to the others? Other than price of course. We plan on keeping the old girl for a long time yet. We harvest Navy and Black beans that are pulled and windrowed, so we naturally have a lot of dirt going through the combine. I think it should be worth it, but any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The last old combine we had we put ext, wear on the vertical auger and bubble up. They worked well. The unloader gear box went out and I was always welding sheet metal cracks around the thrust bearings. We had holes in many places from wear. We had allot of duck tape on the machine until a rainy day and we had time to get the welder out.
If your going to keep her along time be prepared to fix all this other stuff that will wear out before the augers.

On the new machines you can pick what areas of the machine to make extended wear. I would go for all or nothing. Why pay extra to make one section last when the grain is leaking out a hole in a standard wear section.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would suggest just re flighting your augers. You can have them re flighted and balanced for about a third of the price of the new augers. They last just as long as normal wear package would. Thats what we do on all of our machines Case and Deere.
Whatever saves money in the long run I'm all for it. Your fountain auger could be saved a little longer if you place a Polly cover on it as well. It last a little while but we had issues with them eventually tearing off. It worked for awhile though.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
If you do get them reflighted, ask for sectional flighting which is much better than even factory. Maybe 1/4 inch thick. Same thickness of flighting all the way through instead of rolled flighting which has a thinner edge from the beginning. If you don't reflight, your old augers would be worth something to company's that do reflight. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts