The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry I was in and out there. I work at a fire department and it can be pretty hit or miss whether I'll get a free block of time when I'm on shift. Hopefully next time I can make the whole meeting!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Would jitsi.org be an alternative if the discussion always runs out of minutes? I missed todays call so I can't really tell the difference.
Thanks for this link, I did not know about that platform Svenn. It looks nice from the outside and it's open source, that's something we can stand behind. I'll have to give that a try. Do you use this? How is the experience with multiple participants and screen sharing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry, I have only used it to adjust my satellite dish where one participant recorded the tv-screen while the other participant (me) was outside adjusting. Don't have that many friends who wants to do visual communication.

Some hours later....
I took jitsi for a test drive at home with my laptop, a couple of tablets and my mobile phone. The person who sets up the meeting owns the meeting room and can kick people not behaving and start recording the session and various other things. I use my laptop with two addidional external monitors as "master". Using chrome go to the jitsi page and press start meeting. Made up a meeting room name and connected the laptop. Then I installed jitsi-meet on my tablets and mobile phone, all running varios versions of android. Entered the meeting room name and connected. Suddenly I had four versions of myself in front of me and loads of audio feedback. (turn off all mikes helps) The lag on the video channel is very notable. Shared the laptop desktop and found that I could share any of three displays. I had agopengps running in sim mode on one display and shared that. All remote devices could watch and zoom as they pleased. Seems that only devices with a desktop (laptop/pc) can share the desktop. My mobile phone can initiate a chat. My older android tablets cannot chat. I think I use a lot of my bandwidth to communicate with myself. More experimenting needed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hi folks things are getting busy now for a lot of us. It looks like rain this Saturday for me so join us for another AgOpenGPS video meeting. We got cut off at 40 Minutes last time so this time around I will try to moderate a little more and see if we can wrap things up in 40 Minutes. I do like Svenn's idea above, so if any of you have a chance to download the program at jitsi.org we can give that a try sometime.

Topic: AgOpenGPS video meeting 4
Time: May 4, 2019 1:00 PM Halifax (UTC 16:00)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/356306271

One tap mobile
+16475580588,,356306271# Canada

Dial by your location
+1 647 558 0588 Canada
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 356 306 271
Find your local number: https://us04web.zoom.us/u/fDWH92sVy

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
A few discussion points for tomorrow's video meeting See link in previous post. Some of these come from the German speaking users/developers. Let me know here if there is anything else you would like to discuss and we can add those topics to this meeting or save for future meetings.
  1. Github use suggestions for easier development
  2. Roadmap or strategic plan for AgOpenGPS
    -Jitsi and Mattermost Open source alternatives for Zoom and Slack​
  3. What we've learned from PCB development.
We will try out using Jitsi.org Meet immediately following the 40 min Zoom meeting. One of the members of this crew has set up a Jitsi server but we will try the web-based version first and if it fails we'll try a private server. Meeting will take place at approximately UTC 16:40

All you have to do to join is either download the Android or iOS app or check out the link provided below at that UTC 16:40 tomorrow

To join the video meeting, click this link: https://meet.jit.si/AgOpenGPS
To join by phone, dial +1.512.402.2718 and enter this PIN: 4132310353#
To view more phone numbers, click this link: https://meet.jit.si/static/dialInInfo.html?room=AgOpenGPS

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would be very interested in hearing a little bit about setting up the Arduino development environment specifically for AOG. Especially as it pertains to customized libraries. I also am interested to know if any others have had issues with Arduino Nano clone differences. I ordered two nanos each from two different sellers on Aliexpress. I recieved boards with ATmega 168P micros from one seller, and from the other, (WAVGAT) boards with ATmega 328P micros but these require specific board drivers and I can't get them to work with the ENC28J60.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am interested to know if any others have had issues with Arduino Nano clone differences. I ordered two nanos each from two different sellers on Aliexpress. I recieved boards with ATmega 168P micros from one seller, and from the other, (WAVGAT) boards with ATmega 328P micros but these require specific board drivers and I can't get them to work with the ENC28J60.
the nano comes in two basic versions, v2 and v3 , the pinouts are different ..
second, the 328p version -may- require the CH340 comm driver

·
Registered
86 Posts
the nano comes in two basic versions, v2 and v3 , the pinouts are different ..
second, the 328p version -may- require the CH340 comm driver
The comm driver you need depends on whether you have the FTDI or the CH340 USB to serial chips; this is separate from the micro controller chip which can be 168P or 328P. Both types of boards I received had the CH340 USB to serial chip, I successfully installed that. The WAVGAT board apparently needs its own set of files in the Board Manager too; those files define everything about the board and are the reason you can use the Arduino IDE to program so many different types of boards. Before I downloaded and installed the board manager files, the baud rate I had to used in the serial monitor were 1/4th the baud rate set in the sketch code; afterwards they matched. Problem is, the WAVGAT board drivers seem to not include information necessary to work with the ENC library.

BTW, I was able to find a reference to the baud rate mismatch issue where a register setting in the ATmega can cause this; but I couldn't find any information about how to change it. There a tons of Arduino clones available and while you are right, they fall into two main version, I have learned that there are quite a few with subtle variations. I am trying to learn how to either avoid the odd balls or cope with them.

UPDATE: I found most of my issue. WAVGAT uses a Chinese clone of the ATmega 328P. The microcontroller is labeled AVGA328P. The genuine nano runs at 16mHz and the AVGA328P can run at 32mHz but comes set to 4mHz so when your sketch says Serial.Begin (38400) you need to use 1/4th that in the Serial Monitor, namely, 9600. There is a very long thread on the www.arduino.ru about all the differences and how to cope with them. Since I don't know Russian I used Google translate to sort of read the posts but the moral of the story is...I need some new, fully compatible, nanos. I also discovered that the ENC28J60 I was testing with is fried. I pulled a new one out of my inventory, wired it up to a genuine UNO, uploaded one of the EtherCard examples, and it worked. Troubleshooting is always so much fun when you think you have one problem and you actually have two or more.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I want to apologize for missing the first 40 minutes of today's meeting. I read the announcement a little too quickly and thought the Zoom meeting started at 16:40. I will pay closer attention from now on.

·
Registered
788 Posts
thank you everybody for joining the video conference .. i think jitsi has done a good work.

next time we can try christans own swiss server :)

he has also setup a mattermost discussion platform (like slack) on his private server..

here is the link:

http://meet.magahugu.ch

i think it is time to move the developer talking to another place and help users here at the forum.
I believe that it also makes it easier for the user to keep track.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
thank you everybody for joining the video conference .. i think jitsi has done a good work.

next time we can try christans own swiss server :)

he has also setup a mattermost discussion platform (like slack) on his private server..

here is the link:

http://meet.magahugu.ch

i think it is time to move the developer talking to another place and help users here at the forum.
I believe that it also makes it easier for the user to keep track.
I did try this link it looks like we'll each need to set up some kind of account to get login credentials for Christian's server. I did reserve the AgOpenGPS Slack channel name a long time ago but I didn't do anything with it because the free version didn't offer enough features for what we are trying to accomplish. I hope this Mattermost platform will work better and because it's open source it looks like we will be able to continue developing AgOpenGPS for free.

Apologies for the technical difficulties today it seems like some things just didn't want to connect. I'm uploading today's videos as I type this and I realized that I missed recording the first few minutes of the Jitsi meeting while I was trying to reconnect my own webcam. I'm on the fence with Jitsi at this point hopefully the server hosted Jitsi works better.

The only option for recording on Jitsi was straight to Dropbox so I was using OBS studio instead not ideal but hopefully we can get a local recording done next time. So long as all this works I should be able to do a better job getting through our discussion points in a one hour (approx). Everyone's time is precious and I appreciate all of your input but I do want to keep the meetings to one hour so that people know what to plan for.

As far as when to have our next meeting; we will have to play that by ear as I'm sure most of us are up to our eyeballs with Spring fieldwork and putting this great AgOpenGPS program package to good use.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just finished watching part one of today's video meeting and I have to say that I am very excited about AgOpenGPS development entering a new stage. I identify with what Christian said, my strength is is in adding comments to code and migrating it into modules. I've been doing this for years with PLCs. As Brian said, we have to be very mindful of performance but there are a lot of opportunities to start by moving code not in the main loop into proper modules. I am very willing to be assigned specific projects to refactor code and add extensive comments.

WTalen, I very much appreciate your willingness to be the moderator, keeping the meeting moving along and on topic...Thank You!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Any new meetings planned? I tried to create a meet.magahugu account but I'm not receiving my verification emails (already checked the spam folder).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Any new meetings planned? I tried to create a meet.magahugu account but I'm not receiving my verification emails (already checked the spam folder).
We should do one again sometime soon. I've been just swamped the last little while. I'm going to try Jitsi again but will do a mini trial ahead of time. Is Saturday July 6th a good date, or should we try a week day instead?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hey all, I'm working on a new date for a video meeting. I don't think I can make Saturdays work very well during the summer. Might have to try a week day this time around. What are some topics that need to be discussed? Here are my thoughts:

1. Organisation
    *Do we need a board or committees (personally I think that level of organization might be a bit much but might be needed for sanity sake)
    * Do we set up a dedicated forum/website?
    * Do we ask Combine Forum to give us a separate section with stickies etc.
    *Do we give the Mattermost platform a shot again
  2. Wiki
    This might need to be seriously updated and perhaps a version of the same page for each language. If we have a dedicated AOG website the wiki can have a home there.
  3. Issues or bugs
    How are we going to feed Dual antenna setups into AgOpenGPS
  4. PCB stories
    Who is running what version? What do you like, what don't you like?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts