The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the process of looking for a new grain auger. I phoned around today and talked to various people about prices, etc. I am looking for an 8 inch auger and I had one person mention to me that some trucking companies are starting to charge based on the size of your auger and loading times. I personally have never had this happen, but was just wondering if anyone has encountered this before? Not looking to stir the pot or start any arguments, but I am rethinking my decision of an 8 inch auger.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would by a ten if i were you i have had trucking companys send more trucks to get grain moved quickly cause they dont want to wait for a slower auger i have loaded 12 super bes in one afternoon to acomadate them i have a 12 and a 10 just bought a 10 that is almost as quick as my 12 aswell

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Never been charged more, but I figure the bigger the auger the less time I stand there. Generally if I am sweeping bins or have to load out of a smaller auger, I save those for end of day or weekends when the truckers don't mind waiting a bit. During the day, load quick, keep em rolling.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you have all hopper bins, don't even think about buying an 8 inch. But if you have some flat bottom bins that a 10 inch won't fit in the door, then your stuck with buying an 8.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Have an 8`` but have a bunch of flats to clean out. Usually just take them down till you need to shovel and move bins. Will clean them out into one bin on my own time. Would go with a 10`` on a mover if you have all hoppers.

Have sent trucks back empty due to the drivers attitude about the auger......... I don't expect the drivers to shovel but when moving from bin to bin at least give a push on the auger if its icy and snowy out.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
When I hauled grain commercially, we allowed 2hrs for loading. You could use whatever method to load you wanted - 8" auger, 10", shovel it on, overhead bins, anything. After 2hrs, we charged $50 per hour surcharge. Same applied for unloads.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
When I hauled grain commercially, we allowed 2hrs for loading. You could use whatever method to load you wanted - 8" auger, 10", shovel it on, overhead bins, anything. After 2hrs, we charged $50 per hour surcharge. Same applied for unloads.

Andrew
Good looking policy Andrew.
In fact, very reasonable.
Actually, cheap.
Just received my bill for a pea haul, 8 km one way run.
20 minute loading for 44 T, no delay at elevator, should qualify for min charge.
7.50 T.
About right?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sounds like a good deal for the trucker. Fuel is the major daily expense for them and he shouldn't have used much on that run. Hopefully he will remember that job when another one doesn't go as well. I can see both sides of this topic, some guys haul themselves when the bins are full then call the trucker when its clean-up time. I wouldn't be hauling for that guy ever. If a trucker has the benefit of hauling the tops off the bins then he should have a little patience when it comes clean-up time. I'm lucky to have a buddy who hauls with me from my place, full bins,hopper bins, clean-up on flat bottom bins. It costs a little but it's also nice to have someone else around when you're working.

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
Have sent trucks back empty due to the drivers attitude about the auger
Ah, my useless trucker story!;)
Had had a string of truckers that bordered on trying to be too helpful so I was explaining to the new guy I didn't need him in the bin except for a couple of minutes after I was done dragging.
"I don't do that ****" was the snide reply I got.
Oh.
That was time well wasted I thought to myself, trying to be the nice guy.:(
Should have pulled the key from the auger, told him to have a nice day and left.
Should have.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The 3 before him were great.....had to tell them to sit in the truck and wait while I shovelled.....was itchy barley and -40 out and they had to sit and drive for 5hrs after I loaded them. The 4th guy quickly told me as I was moving the auger that he drives the truck anything other than opening the traps or tarps was not his job and I had 2hrs to get him loaded or he was calling dispatch.........well he called dispatch to explain why his attitude wasn't getting him loaded and he was on the way back home 5hrs empty. Dispatch called and apologized for their driver and that they would be sending the earlier 3 drivers back for the remaining loads. Have shipped lots through that company now over the years.

Not a slow loader either, well below the 2hr load time even with some shoveling.

Back on topic, 10" are hard to keep up if your shoveling, sweep they load right along great. Would get a mover on it though, 8" is about as big as I would want be messing around with in the winter. Have an 8" Brandt with 20hp kolher and is hasn't let me down yet. -40 and it runs as good as +30 in the summer. Also seems to balanced better for moving around compared to my westfield.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If I ever get anything custom hauled in I make sure to find a owner operator run company. The guy I get will help you sweep your bins out, or do it himself if your not around, brings his own auger and is extremely reasonable. I have loaded feed barley on a few trucks and they can be quite ignorant, so if they want to complain about it going slower when shovelling I make sure to take my time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You know what, wcb says that drivers are not covered to be in a bin. Its not their job. Or at least that is what I was told by a friend that hauls for us. He still helps tho

·
Registered
419 Posts
We bought a 10X40 Brandt with a 40 hp Kohler, 18 minutes to load a super bee. I have definitely noticed preferential treatment from dispatch/company after the first custom truck realizes the speed of loading. And after this past years grief, that has paid big dividends when it came time to haul. Whether it was us hauling, custom, or both. Never been offered a discount tho...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Truckers want to get loaded fast so they can sit in elevator line up for two hours to unload. I bet there is a few grumpy ones west of Gull Lake yesterday well over 20 trucks in line up.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Good looking policy Andrew.
In fact, very reasonable.
Actually, cheap.
Just received my bill for a pea haul, 8 km one way run.
20 minute loading for 44 T, no delay at elevator, should qualify for min charge.
7.50 T.
About right?
$7.50/MT for a 20min load and 8km haul with no lineups? When can I start?

Andrew

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Truckers want to get loaded fast so they can sit in elevator line up for two hours to unload. I bet there is a few grumpy ones west of Gull Lake yesterday well over 20 trucks in line up.
Was thinking the same thing, some places schedule trucks in now so there is less sitting.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The 3 before him were great.....had to tell them to sit in the truck and wait while I shovelled.....was itchy barley and -40 out and they had to sit and drive for 5hrs after I loaded them. The 4th guy quickly told me as I was moving the auger that he drives the truck anything other than opening the traps or tarps was not his job and I had 2hrs to get him loaded or he was calling dispatch.........well he called dispatch to explain why his attitude wasn't getting him loaded and he was on the way back home 5hrs empty. Dispatch called and apologized for their driver and that they would be sending the earlier 3 drivers back for the remaining loads. Have shipped lots through that company now over the years.
Well, to be honest, if I was to go strictly by the book (and I did with "some" farmers - you know the type), then that was exactly my job description as well - drive, tarps, traps. (If I moved too far and spilled some on the ground, I also felt it was up to me to clean it up.) Would often say that it was up to the farmer to make the grain fall into the top of the trailer. Up to me to load it in the proper spot, etc.

However, I always helped move augers, shovel away that bit of snow in front of the next bin door that the tractor couldn't get close enough to, etc. After all, that makes loading go quicker which benefits me as well!

Story: Was hauling peas one day. Father and son were shoveling the bin bottom. Got down to the usual 3 or 4 pailfuls left so we switched to the next bin. When they were able to climb in that bin, I grabbed my shovel. Went to the 1st bin and scooped up some from the little pile at the door, carried them to the next bin and dumped them inside the door. Went back for the next shovelful. When I dumped that shovelful in the 2nd bin, the father met me at the bin door and told me not to bother with that little bit - Get in the 2nd bin instead and help them. I walked over to my truck and put my shovel away.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
Was thinking the same thing, some places schedule trucks in now so there is less sitting.
Of the two points close to me, one likes to know what week you'd like to haul.
The other place tried, unsuccessfully I believe, to tell them the hour/day you'd be there.
Oh yeah, that's real manageable!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts