The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add a chip to a 12.9 cursor in a FR, heard some rumbling about the turbo wouldn't take the added power. Anyone have experience with the compound turbo system on FPT engines and adding a performance tuner? (I'm assuming the FR9060 uses the same engine/turbo as a CR)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Turbo will be fine unless the chip goofs with the VGT stuff, but it still should be fine. Compound turbos usually outperform single turbos due to their low end torque and fast spooling. I'm assuming it uses Garrett Turbos which are decent turbos. I have nothing to say about chipping it though.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I have the 550 Steiger with the steinbauer installed on the 12.9l, with compounded turbos... it pulls very well and no problems with it last two years

·
Registered
278 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but I seem to remember reading that the Steiger 550 had a true compound turbo setup- ie exhaust drives both turbos and one blows into the other, whereas the 600 and the fr 9060 used a turbo compound setup with the one turbo connected via a fluid coupling to the engine geartrain. You would have thought FPT could have come up with a better name to distinguish between the two and minimize confusion.

On another note, if you look at the horsepower per liter output most of the engines in this application are around that 40 hp/l stock and between 45 and 50 chipped. That motor would be at 55/l. I don't think i would risk it in that application

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, there are different versions of the 12.9L and I am not familiar enough to say which machines have which versions but do know the FR has a fluid coupled turbo that ties into the block and is supposed to help turn the crank. I believe they label it as a Cursor 13 TCD . Some guys reported having problems with the turbo bolts breaking and other issues.

Maybe these engines are already pushing their limits at the factory rated HP levels?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts