The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently puchased my first JD draper, a 925d. It`s on a 9750 STS and when i`m sitting in the driver seat with the front tilted foward to cut low to the ground I can`t see the cutter bar cos of the big frame beam at the top. Surely i`m not the only one with this problem. Just want to get some thoughts on this. I recon it`s a bit of a design flaw. Is JD the only brand with this problem?
JDMAD

·
Registered
86 Posts
no JD is not the only one with that problem, i cant see our hone bee knife either, it would be nice too. Sorry but i haven't run a deere draper, so i couldn't help you there

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You running a STS canora2? A couple of our neighbours are running 9660CWS and have no trouble seeing the cutter on there 925d`s. Must be a different feederhouse/cab setup on the STS. Another of my heighbours is running a honeybee draper on a CX Newholland and i`ve been in the cab when he harvesting an can see the cutter and half the belts aswell. Sorry to hear about the cases aswell Blanchfarm, I know it shits me too that i can`t see the dam cutter bar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
its good for your ticker! in my circle of friends we say your not having a go unless youve got it all the way out so you cant see it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Deere changed the feederhouse when they went from the 50 to 60 series so that is probably why you can't see with a 50 and can with a 60. The 60 series has for/aft adjustment built into the feederhouse where as the 50 does not.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
ive got 2 60 sts' and a 50 and i cant see the knife on any of them, pain in the arse, one of the biggest flaws of JD drapers in my opinion, a friend of mine runs 930D and a 42' Midwest draper and he thinks midwest is miles in front for visability.....for $120000(Aus) want something good hey!!

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
jdmad what do you harvest with 25'? i run a 925F for our row crop jobs, with headers on 4m centres 25' does a neat job on 1m spacing for soybean fabas mung chickpea etc....would love a 25 draper but gotta find the dough for 1.......

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey PJ one of my neighbours has a 25ft midwest and they sure do look like a bullet proof front with great vision but your right you need a big fat wallet to afford one. We looked for ages for a 25ftJD draper in good cond and finally found one in southern NSW, had only done 800ac. The reasons we went for only a 25ft was 1-contours 2- we harvest grass seed that is about 4ft tall and green and cut it at ground level so the poor combine sure knows all about hard work. Also our paddocks aren`t as big as you guys. We harvest wheat,soybeans,lupins,dolicots,cowpeas withit to but the grass was the limiting factor on width. Do you know of any 25ft JD drapers for sale at the moment? Just curious cos there was two others at the time we brought ours but they were fairly shagged, Needed a bit of work done to them.
What crops do you harvest with you machines?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
hi jdmad, love to see you harvest that grass seed, we do anything from canola mustard oats barley wheat durum sorghum chickpea fabas corn mungbeans sunnies soybeans what evers going really with ours, i have a great clientele in a 50km radius and am lucky not to have to travel machines far from our local area to get by, have a wide range of fronts and gear to cover what we need to but it keeps us going, not many 25ft combs round here mainly further south in rice areas, i bought a 30ft draper from victoria few years ago and they had a 25fter there but needed bit of attention.....didnt like look of it much

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PJ, What concaves do use for all those crops? Have you got one that does all or do you change from crop to crop. What concaves do you use for soys?

·
Registered
26 Posts
With a 2152 on a 7088 you can see the knife perfectly. Even if its tilted right forward. Whats yours on? I had a 936d on a 9660 and you couldn't see the knife at all. Only done 100 hours but the 2152 (macdon) is better in EVERY way than the 936d was(3000 hrs).

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
The 7088 likely has a shorter feederhouse than the newer designed CIH's
keeping the cutterbar closer to the operators seat and the resulting steeper angle improving visibility.
Drapers tend to have higher back panels/structure supports which is likely why visibility
becomes an issue and compounded by combines with longer feederhouses which would answer the original question.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
I run MacDon heads but we picked up a little trick to help get better visibility, it may not work on the 50 series STS cause I'm not sure if it has feederhouse tilt, it does work on 60/70 series

Anyways, we tilt our feederhouse all the way forward and tilt the header all the back(flat) in turn you get the intended header angle but far better visibility. You may require a couple turns on the header tilt but not much. Only down side of this is that it can put a larger strain on your header lift system, ours have large cylinders and have no problem but others could.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the ideas guys but unfortunatly i don`t have feederhouse tilt on my 50 series so i can`t do as you said Jason. I guess i`m gunna have to live with it or get a macdon. I like the jd drapers how they don`t need a external oil resivor like the other brands. What are the model numbers for a 25ft macdon draper around a 2004 model? I havn`t had much to do with the macdons and a new one is way out of my price range.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
Oh, one other thing, and I'm not trying to be Captain obvious here,
but if you are taller
and/or run the seat higher, cutterbar visibility would be better.
Also if you run the seat forward.

Don

1 - 20 of 28 Posts