The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I seeded a field with both L252 and L261 to try this spring. I sprayed Liberty at the recommended low rate and it basically made the entire field turn yellow and even killed much of it. I had previously sprayed 1000 acres of roundup ready canola with transorb and cleaned the sprayer 4 times before spraying the Liberty. Now the crop came back to some extent but it is stunted and there is only 1/2 the stand of what it should be. Bayer won't give me the time of day and I wish I didn't seed this stuff. Anyone else have this issue this year? I know of at least one other farmer in my area that had this same issue.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Liberty is a fantastic cleaner of sprayers and seems to pull any sort of residue from previous applications. Your chemical burn could very well be from anything sprayed prior to the glyphosate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Just an update for the 2 senior member comments. I used "Finish" as well. I also sprayed out 3 tanks of water at 10 gallons an acre. When would this so called residual wash out?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
So far we've never had any problems with other chemicals including roundup before a liberty application. And we just wash with ammonia, and rinse a couple of times thoroughly including flushing the booms. As much as possible we try not to let the Liberty sit in the tank before we spray it.

batdevice, did you mix up the Liberty beforehand and then let it sit in the tank overnight? I've heard that can pull previous chemicals out of the crevices.

Also, did you have an agronomist look at the field and also the Bayer reps? I'm sure they'd have wanted to have a look at it. Especially where it happened to you and also a neighbor. There's an outside chance there was a contaminated batch of Liberty that you both got.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
HIGHLY unlikely (near impossible) to be a rinse/residue issue. Did you add anything else to the Liberty mix? Liquid fert perhaps?. I would cross reference lot numbers of the seed as well as the Liberty with the other farmer with the same issue as well as others that didn't to see if there is a lot number consistency between your products and the other farmer that is NOT consistent with others that had no issues.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
What kind of tank poly or stainless. Did you pull filters and clean? Liberty will pull chemical out of a poly tank that has had no problems with previous fields. License to kill makes some good points to look at of its not a sprayer/residue issue.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have heard several times that liberty canola is actually resistant to liberty chemical and can take huge doses without injury. Other canola like roundup ready are only tolerant of roundup and higher rates cause lots of crop injury.

I would wonder if somehow your canola seed got switched with a non liberty type. Perhaps Bayer has mistakenly put some roundup ready in the bag, or it was treated with jumpstart and mixed up, or mixed at seed cleaning plant, etc.

Sure there was nothing else added to the spray mix? No water modifiers, or insecticides, or micro nutrients, or wild oat herbicides, etc???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi

I had prepared this for my Bayer chemical rep:
Previous Crops:
2012​
Spring Wheat – Unity

2013​
Canola RR – 46H29

2014​
Spring Wheat - Utmost

Burn off
Roundup ½ liter May 10

Roundup ½ liter May 18

Seeding Date:
May 20
Seeding History:
7 bags L261 added to drill seeded 2 outside rounds, then seeded L261 from south to middle of grass slew. Cleaned out drill, put in 5 bags and seeded L252 from middle of slew to north. Had some seed left and seeded the corner of near church yard. Approx 10 acres.
Rainfall to end of June
June 10 – ½ “, June 20 – 1.9”

Spray Date:
June 24
Spray Rate:
1 case of Liberty per 20 acres - 1 case Centurion to treat 40 acres
Each fill was 800 gallons – spray 80 acres with 10 gallon nozzels
Put in 4 cases Liberty, 2 cases of Centurion
Spraying History:
Day was cool with clouds - 20 degrees. Light wind from North West.
Ran out of Centurion and only had Liberty in tank to spray the 10 acres on church yard

Previous Chemical in Sprayer:
Roundup Transorb
Sprayer Cleanout:
4 flushes of 200 gallons each, wash booms with pressure washer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The way the canola looked another rep told me it looked like bin run seed. However, I seeded 2 varieties on the same field so bin run seed would be less possible. It looks like the Liberty or Centurion was the culprit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi

My neighbor had the same issue but not as bad. Our lot numbers are similar on the Liberty, produced in January 2015. We both sprayed on the same day which was ironic.

No other chemicals added in the tank other than Centurion. I am meticulous with cleaning my 4720 JD sprayer with a stainless tank and if this product scraps up previous chemicals missed from rinsing, then it is absolute crap. I advise anyone who plans to grow it or has grown it to be cautious when spraying. You are on your own if you have trouble.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Batdevice, the question that big red and north block as well as myself is what chemicals were you spraying prior to the roundup? Were you in some cereals, then into canola?

This year, multiple farmers have had issues with frontline contamination due to a manufacturing error. Once inside the spray system whether you have ss tank or not, you still have plastic and rubber plumbing from the tank to the nozzles that is porous. One fellow in particular that I was talking to cleaned out multiple times including using the cleaning products. He then preceded to spray out over 1000 acres if invigor canola. I personally would have thought that by tank 5-6 that any residue would have been cleaned out or diluted enough, but I guess not. This sane individual has cleaned out his sprayer multiple times again after the incident and questions even if it's safe to use his sprayer.

Roundup does not have the same cleaning abilities as liberty and since your issues occurred after the use of liberty gives at least some chance that it is a residual.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Any chance it froze or got close to freezing overnight? :The fact your neighbor has the same thing makes me doubt it is chemical residue.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts