The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Just joining the fun here!
Does anyone have experience with Versatile Trans/axial 2000 pull type combines? They where not popular in the area I'm from. Just wondering how they where to work on, capacity compared to IH and John Deere of the same vintage? I no longer farm, but still enjoy/miss everything about farming and now collect the toys. (still get rides in the combine when I'm home on vacation!!)
Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
The Versatile 2000 was one of the best, if not the best combine I
have ever seen in high yielding barley, literally no losses at 5-6 mph in 25 - 30 foot windrows. The ability to unload from either side and the back was a feature all machines should have today.
The biggest problem was trying to keep it in the field, lots of down time including the axles breaking off. The poor quality steel
used in it's manufacture was it's downfall.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sold them when I worked for a NH Dealership, huge capacity but a little weak in a lot of places, most of my Clients liked them though and I don`t know if any are still running as I quit selling Machinery 10 years ago

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
It's interesting how everybody I know also says they were one of best designed combines ever made, with amazing capacity and grain saving ability. Of course everyone adds in that if they were built a little heavier they would have completely dominated the market place. Yet how many manufacturers have used a similar design even after it was proven to work so well? Not many.

·
Super Moderator
4,540 Posts
The ability to unload from either side and the back was a feature all machines should have today.
The biggest problem was trying to keep it in the field, lots of down time including the axles breaking off. The poor quality steel
used in it's manufacture was it's downfall.
Hear, hear on the auger unload setup!:D Until you've been around it you can't have the appreciation for it that it deserves.
It's too bad they were such a reliability nightmare, if you weren't a mechanic before owning a transaxial, you were after.;)

Don

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
It's interesting how everybody I know also says they were one of best designed combines ever made, with amazing capacity and grain saving ability. Of course everyone adds in that if they were built a little heavier they would have completely dominated the market place. Yet how many manufacturers have used a similar design even after it was proven to work so well? Not many.
Goes a lot further to prove the complete incompetence and ignorance of the modern manufacturers, than it does to disprove the viability of the Versatile trans-axial.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.