The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda of an odd question I know but. For us guys that only have 3 to 600 acres of wheat Why not? Can't justify owning one big enough to feed our 7230 on those acres. South western Nebraska.

Could pay pretty lucrative rents on small acres and still theoretically make it back the next year with corn yields.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
21st century in Imperial handles them, if your not concerned about price they will rent anything or you could hire someone local that has one. That would be cheaper than renting one and putting the wear and tear on your equipment.

·
Super Moderator
4,692 Posts
Kinda of an odd question I know but. For us guys that only have 3 to 600 acres of wheat Why not? Can't justify owning one big enough to feed our 7230 on those acres. South western Nebraska.

Could pay pretty lucrative rents on small acres and still theoretically make it back the next year with corn yields.
There's a bit of setup involved with them though but I suppose that could be overcome.

·
Registered
435 Posts
depending on operator and terrain, they can be very expensive to run. but I would argue that you couldn't afford not to own one with 600 acres if you are true no till and in your area.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
long term no-till but not high residue since about 2011. Dryland soil health seems to me to be determinate on large amounts of stubble, sticking around for years no matter what the rotation. The difference between 24 inch and 12 inch stubble could pay dividends for multiple years in my opinion.
Still doesn't hit the mark of paying for a $40K used head, maintaining it, and storing it inside. For say an average of 400 acres a year of use. I had been thinking $10+ dollars an acre for header rent might beat that.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Out here stripper headers are indispensable, we have run one on our farm for the last decade or so. I dont use shelborne's but its still the same results. They add a consistent 15bpa to your following corn crop as long as you can spread the residue with your combine, have some kind of snow in the winter and use a variety that stands up well for 10 months

·
Registered
723 Posts
Give Brad a call (620) 353-8790. Last I knew he had both shelbourne & the agco stripper heads. I'm sure he'd be willing to rent you a head.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Give Brad a call (620) 353-8790. Last I knew he had both shelbourne & the agco stripper heads. I'm sure he'd be willing to rent you a head.
We have got 2 CVS heads and 1 CX, all blue (Shelbourne) these days, they perform better in short wheat due to rotor size. I am very selective as to whom I rent to but would talk. References available.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Redline, just curious what brand of stripper head you run. I've really only seen the Shelborne heads around.
I use agco 6000's. I have both a rice special and a small grain agco strippers, and they perform really well in all kinds of plant heights. Variety's have more of an impact on harvest-ability than height. TAM111 is a hard variety to strip.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
The smaller diameter rotor lets you run with the head higher and you don't push the stubble over at the ground as much. It tends to stand better throughout the winter.

There are things about the Agco that I like better, starting with durability (which is why we are very selective on rent), but when you run the two side by side the smaller rotor shines in short wheat. And the longer the time goes by that the stubble is standing the more apparent it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts