The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently run a 9635 with a 5200 header. Looked at the 5300 in depth at Agri-trade, and are fairly impressed with what we see. The 5200 is 80's technology so any improvement is significant but this 5300 seems to be Mac-Don level.

Because of our export timothy and need of a good rotary head the Mac-Don is out of the question right now.

So. Does anyone have experience with the 5300 prototype? How would it stack up in the conditions we had this year (frozen, hailed on, snowed on, drowned out) compared to competition? It has come down to the MacDon or the Massey and right now the Mac Don rotary isn't even close to what we need and that is a deciding factor.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don - sent you a PM but you must have missed it.

After digging my Internet antenna out of the snow I did some more searching and still couldn't find anyone. Sounds like no one here has run it either! Hopefully make it to a dealer to price one out this week.

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
Don - sent you a PM but you must have missed it.
Sorry, I did get and read it, thank you by the way, and printed up a reply and missed sending it.
Sloppy, hate it when that happens!

Been looking for somoone who used a 5300 AND posts here rather than me being a middleman as your request was more specific then usual.
I can (and this is my second time writing this) tell you a friend swathed some raggy canola close to me and he was very pleased with it's performance.

I'll keep searching for a poster who used one.

In my short neighbor and friend visiting Agri Trade day I never made it to Agco.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Sorry, I did get and read it, thank you by the way, and printed up a reply and missed sending it.
Sloppy, hate it when that happens!

Been looking for somoone who used a 5300 AND posts here rather than me being a middleman as your request was more specific then usual.
I can (and this is my second time writing this) tell you a friend swathed some raggy canola close to me and he was very pleased with it's performance.

I'll keep searching for a poster who used one.

In my short neighbor and friend visiting Agri Trade day I never made it to Agco.
In the thread, who makes the best self propelled swather and why. On page seven read agcoerics comments. He lives in a swather.

·
Registered
183 Posts
We have run the 5300 series headers the last two seasons. We put close to 15000 acres on a 35' and 6000 acres on a 40'. The capacity of these headers is very impressive as well as the serviceability. The first year we had a few issues with poor canvas bearings and some reel trouble, but that seemed to be a non issue this season. Agco now offers all the options we were begging for on our 5200s including a improved double swath system and guage wheels that helped instead of hindering. I think they have a machine that should compete with macdon head to head.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Mainly canola, but this year we had the 35' in some hay, triticale/barley green feed and lentils as well. We ran 6 swathers this fall in our custom cutting fleet.
When you were doing green feed and hay did you have any issues with build up on the canvas rollers?

We have found on the 5200 that when cutting silage, we get build up on the rollers, sometimes to a point where you have up to a half and inch of crap on the rollers. This isn't an issues with the MacDon because they have the canvas running inside a C channel. Also noticed the build up in wet canola.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Didn't have any wrapping in green feed, but we had a bit of canola buildup under the canvases, seemed to only be an issue at night and when we shaved the ground. The 2 new macdeeres we were running beside we're having to stop more often than the masseys. Our honeybees rarely have that issue and I'm sure a lot has to do with the hay shield behind the cutter bar.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Don and agcoeric. That was what I'm looking for!

Priced out a new Massey and holy smokes. The difference after trading in our 9635 comes close to paying for a 25' MacDon. The salesmen told my Dad that he doesn't know when Mfg's are going to understand that farmers can't pay these prices forever.

To summarize, I guess that we aren't buying the Massey. Can't afford it! Guess we'll keep looking and crunching numbers. If only Deere would put the 500R and 600D on the same swather tractor - id be the first to sign up!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.