The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well if you are lookin at a Morris razr, you might be interested in Pillar Lazer drill as well then, benefit of this drill is better frame, double shoot and years of experience.....
Btw, I am not a dealer but a happy pillar lazer opener customer on a Morris neverpin frame (which is after some "improvements" aka. welding, just an ok frame).
The Pillar lazer frame is looking really nice, simple and well designed.
Morris's new tank looks pretty good to me and I would like tto hear what experiences are...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Currently running a 50' razr. I'm planning on starting a pro/con thread on it...but I need to find some cons ;). So far....it's awesome. Just need some time to put my thoughts in text!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Not meaning to be negative here, but how do you get all of your product down with a single shoot drill. Liquid, esn, fall band, broadcast, top dress? I would have thought Morris would have made it double shoot or have mrbs. Drill looks good but just doesn't have the necessary flexibility that I'd need. Never pin frames look good probably better with some black openers on them.

Which cart do you have red green?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Ours has a third rank on the rear on 20 inch spacing for MRB.

We have the 630 cart. Next year will add the 4th meter to the small 28 bushel tank essentially making it a 650.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have no idea. Built April 2014, one of the last ones put together for spring seeding. Chances are good it does.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's the new scraper design. Seed hoses go to the back of the hub on the new scraper (like in the video) whereas on the old scrapers I've seen the hoses were to the front side of the hub. 2014 machines got the new scrapers and there was an upgrade available for 2013 machines to convert them to the new style boot/scraper.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Morris should update their website mrbs not listed as an option and they never had them on drill at farm progress. That's a pretty good distance to contour front to back. Thanks for video and info on drill. Can you lock banders up if you don't need them?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Not meaning to be negative here, but how do you get all of your product down with a single shoot drill. Liquid, esn, fall band, broadcast, top dress? I would have thought Morris would have made it double shoot or have mrbs. Drill looks good but just doesn't have the necessary flexibility that I'd need. Never pin frames look good probably better with some black openers on them.

Which cart do you have red green?
Not running a lazer, but do put all of our product down with single shoot and we were doing it with stealth openers. We use 80 to 100 percent ESN with very good results, there may be a bit of a slower start, but in the end the crop is there with the rest of the neighbors. We went to spreader openers due to the fact we were losing the crop in the swaths due to the 9 inch row spacings. Results are still the same. We know ESN works cause we had a wreck with straight 46 and switched to ESN at the same rates the next year. Putting down 65 LBS of actual N with the seed.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
ESN works no doubt. Neighbours have K-Hart disc and put 160 lbs of fert down with it but a certain portion has to be ESN. It's just an added cost and hassle. With our atom jet side side band on our 5000 we had no trouble holding up a swath. Our oats held up fine on pillar openers on 10" spacing but they aren't a normal disc opener. The hoe spreads the seed out on the shelf so it's more like our atom jet for row width.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
We have been running at 7 mph. Only seeding durum and canola with this machine, have a single shoot hoe drill for pulse crops. Seed placement has been excellent, walking beam and parallel linkage, it should be. Couldn't ask for much better, have to watch fan speed though. Going to try some Dutch seed brakes on a few openers and see if it makes any difference. Also going to try some speed trials up around 8 mph when we get back into durum. Using a 485 Steiger for hp on 800 metrics, unballasted. Drill is very heavy and doing headlands on side hills can be interesting. Might look at putting some weights on the rear for next year to help with that. Could probably pull 60' with this tractor, but that would be the limit. Midrow banders can be locked up by turning a valve when not in use.

Biggest downfall of the drill is opener pressure can only be increased and not decreased going through the field without cycling openers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Doesn't putting your hydraulic remote in float position decrease your packing pressure on the go? That is how the Morris Contour works. I assume the RAZR has the exact same accumulator packing pressure system. You might have a stuck relief valve, that happened to ours and we couldn't drop packing pressure on the go. It was an easy fix.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts