The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently Claas adjusted their extended warranty (et) coverage for 2019.
Not usually a taker of et it looked worth a look this time.
Ended up taking the cheapest of cheap (exactly the opposite way I order the combine itself)
4 years (over and above 1 normal year, 5 total)
Bumper to bumper
1000 deductible
750 hours (separator)

The deductible can apply per work order not per incident so a possible bit of collective action.

I may only harvest a year or two more, the perception of protection from a catastrophic failure bill should be a good selling feature think?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not many guys can afford a big combine and then only put on 750 separator hours in 5 years. Reality is that warranty will probably run out in 3 or 4 years for most people, so as long as you are selling it soon enough to allow the next buyer 1 full year of hours, then it should most certainly have value. Old warranty from Claas was rediculously expensive.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
For the price of them they should come with a 5 year warranty. Make it subject to a yearly inspection and proof you put the wear parts into it on your own dime. Would be a good way to take some market share. Lots of guys won't believe the grain saving and capacity until they see it for themselves and that would keep them in the Claas next time around, the warranty would be the hook to get them in. Even the new guys should be keeping at least 3-4 years anyways. I'm going into year 3 with mine and am less concerned about down-time than when it was new. Based off my experience the extended warranty is only there for peace of mind about some freak thing happening with a major component.

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda depends how many years I continue to harvest but I hear you guys on hours.
I’ve been only putting on 150 to 200 separating a year.
Maybe should look into 1000, several levels available, I just went cheapest.

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based off my experience the extended warranty is only there for peace of mind about some freak thing happening with a major component.
On vehicles I find it a pure cash grab as reliable as they are these days.
They give you some catastrophic electronic failure cost, I then ask them if it’s that big a pos why should I buy this at all?!

Sitting across from a very attractive gal a couple of trucks ago, she was in charge of selling **** you don’t need including extended warranty.
I kept saying no, no, no and finally said all I want is a truck!
You don’t have be rude she scolds me.
They hate it when you take none of that crap.

I will say, I’ve never said no so many times to such an incredible, open too large area of display, ****.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
On vehicles I find it a pure cash grab as reliable as they are these days.
They give you some catastrophic electronic failure cost, I then ask them if it’s that big a pos why should I buy this at all?!
You know that you can negotiate the cost of extended warranty. We usually get a 7 year extended warranty and trade after 5-6 years, gives the next owner some initial peace of mind and I think it helps the trade value considerably. That method is the most reasonable I have found to stay in a newer vehicle.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Swman, will they negotiate miles for warranty also ? Wife puts 60,000km/yr and I’m about 40,000km/yr so we always run out of miles before years.
I'm not sure, we aren't high mileage customers. There is huge margin in there though. Seems to me that 180,000 Km is about the high end for coverage. Been a couple years though and I could be a bit off. Seems if there is demand for a product somebody will sell it to you...

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Don, when they adjusted for 2019 did EW become more economical? What kind of numbers are you talking about for coverages?
Not particularly knowledgeable as I’d never looked at EW before Jim.
Service manager told me about the one work order as opposed to to one incident change.
Also never studied the whole plan close, other than the max 4 years (additional)
I took the min spec. Think it was 7000 US?

If you want a five year babysitter you can spend huge bucks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts