The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JW if anyone has used a tandem grain pup behind a farm tractor? Have opportunity to get one cheap off local feed mill that needs room in their yard and no longer use it. Holds in ballpark of 14-15T. Have 2 elevators that are only 5 miles away so we just haul eveything to elevator with tractors. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
370 Posts
ben there done that, worked fine on a real wet fall. you will need to address the issue of brakes, if they are air brakes with maxi chambers you will have to capture the spring brake with the tool on each pod, and or have air system on tractor

·
Registered
80 Posts
Tandem grain pup as in: hopper style with dolly front axle? Or as in : closed tandem with dump body? I have a triple straight truck with end dump that has a combo silage/grain endgate. That I pull a triple straight pup with the same end dump body. Use it for grain like that and unhook pup for hauling silage with truck. On longer silage hauls I hook that pup behind a tractor. Works good...only hiccup was figuring out the large single acting cylinder and tractor hydraulics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It is a long tongue straight tandem aluminum box end dump. It was originally pulled behind a feed truck so has the double back door setup with a small grain chute at the bottom. I plan on pulling the maxi chambers off and setting up with hydraulic brakes eventually. My biggest concern is how hard will it be to pull? I usually pull 2 400bu wagons in tandem will it be anywhere close to that or much harder. Smallest tractor I plan to put on it is 130 hp. bigger from there. Anyone have issues with MTO/DOT with a unit like this?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
have atter done it for years 130 hp is plenty just add hydrlic brakes and go I have never had issues with dot you can loader to the max and have no issues

I haul two 14 ton end dumps together with 150hp tractor my tractor is 40k works good round trip for 7 mile to elevator and back is under an hour and im hauling 28ton at a time
I have a fastrac now works even better as that dose 40mph

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Box in great shape for farm use. He hasn't used it on the road more than 4 times in last two years so no longer worth the $ to safety etc. I do all of his planting and combining (he farms some land on side) so he offered to me at a good price. Just wants it out of his yard it's stuck in the way. For what he's asking I couldn't buy a new or good used 400+ bu gravity box. Only reason I'm considering is the price really as wagons for me are easier.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
I personally think that the DOT's should be cracking down on these guys hauling trailers behind their farm tractors. 99 percent of them don't have adequate brakes on them. They hook onto a trailer weighing in excess of 80,000 lbs with a tractor with no brakes that weighs 20,000lbs. Last year at the local elevator their was one meathead with a farm tractor and semi trailer setup that obviously had no brakes, he tried taking the corner but was going to fast and the hitch ripped right off the converter when he turned and the trailer landed up in a slough. Kinda wished it would have dragged the tractor with him in it also into the slough. Most of these guy that pull trailers like this have no brakes and are rusted right out but they get away with it in saskatchewan because it's considered a farm implement. Sorry but this really pisses me off because I have to safety my semi and it won't pass if it even has a stone chip in the window.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with the larger trailers on dolly. Should have brakes given the weight. Trailer I'm talking about is only a pup that will hold 14-15t. That's part of why I asked if DOT had problem with these setups. I'm looking for something decent on the road. I've had spindle break on wagon. Luckily box didn't tip. Others around here have over the years. Thought this with brakes and suspension would be safer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't know what style of cylinder you have ... But my big single acting single has a lower max pressure than my tractors have.... I'm not sure what that pressure is anymore think 1500psi. I have it setup up with an adjustable pressure release valve with a gauge on it, mainly was concerned about hitting the top of cylinder and over pressuring cylinder possible wrecking seals. Other issue is the amount of hydraulic oil volume cylinder takes, the newer tractor does ok with volume but if you go at max speed on hydraulics it will pump it out faster than the charge pump can keep up and then it cavities.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I personally think that the DOT's should be cracking down on these guys hauling trailers behind their farm tractors. 99 percent of them don't have adequate brakes on them. They hook onto a trailer weighing in excess of 80,000 lbs with a tractor with no brakes that weighs 20,000lbs. Last year at the local elevator their was one meathead with a farm tractor and semi trailer setup that obviously had no brakes, he tried taking the corner but was going to fast and the hitch ripped right off the converter when he turned and the trailer landed up in a slough. Kinda wished it would have dragged the tractor with him in it also into the slough. Most of these guy that pull trailers like this have no brakes and are rusted right out but they get away with it in saskatchewan because it's considered a farm implement. Sorry but this really pisses me off because I have to safety my semi and it won't pass if it even has a stone chip in the window.
I know who your talking about couldn't agree more he has European hitch which dose not help one bit the weight is too high up which in turn as soon as you brake the weight is taken off the rear wheels
on uk type hitch its way lower like north American type so will not do that
his tractor has air brakes so why he dose not connect them I dunno
may caz the brakes are buggerd him trailer do look rough thou

I have never had an issue mainly due to having brakes and if running converta it has a lot of weight transfer to the tractor

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have a neighbor that has 2 setup's like you are talking about and he seems to really like them . He hauls all his grain from field to his bins in his yard , probably 8 to 9 miles for some of his land .
He seems to get along just fine with them .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.