The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been using hardware other than a touchscreen tablet/laptop to run AoG?

I saw this display the other day, Seeedstudio 10.1" 1200x1980 HDMI IPS, no touch though.

That got me thinking about how an Intel NUC would work with an external display. I expect it should work well although the price, once you've factored in RAM, storage and a touch display, could be higher. The appeal to me is the ability to run Windows 7 instead of 10.

Does anyone have any nice, bright 12"+ touch display links?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't think the brightness will be enough. I'm convinced that you need a display with 1000 nits (cd/m2) minimum because then you can actually read it in direct sunlight. I just picked up a Mk5 CF-19 toughbook on ebay for ~$200. It would be nice to find a bright touchscreen display because then you could swap out hardware on the computer side and not be limited by processors etc. The hunt continues...

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Too bad none of those reflective displays we were promised years ago ever worked out. My dream display for this application would basically be like a magazine surface. 100% reflective for bright sunlight but with good color. I was just thinking today how much nicer it is to work with my old John Deere brown box displays than any of the newer color screens. I think even a high resolution (100 dpi) 1 bpp LCD display would be quite useful but no one makes anything like that. E-Ink comes close but is too slow to refresh for AOG purposes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was thinking about getting one of these to try as an all in one solution, 12v power input and multiple output ports https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32848778325.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32848778325&aff_trace_key=1f9ceb9253934a7f854f6273f1970797-1553985850218-06442-VnYZvQVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=5267amp-GDscoC25oo75ay1o2p7C-g1557484482509

·
Registered
108 Posts
I run AOG on a NUC, screen it is mounted to is not really bright enough to use easily in tractor.
Ipad mini running Duet app is good, mounts easy up high out of sunlight with a bit of sticky backed velcroe.
Reckon a phone would be okay if using keyboard also. Maybe Splashtop app if android, but have not tried it yet, better performance with wired connection rather than wireless.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Suface Pro 4 is 439 cd/m2

I have a screen to test similar to https://www.newegg.ca/p/0JC-00CD-00012 to run with a Beelink Z83 (cheap NUC kind of) The screen is supposed to be 650cd/m2 time will tell if it likes 14.4v or not too lol. The pair were roughly 260 CAD.

I ran last fall on a AWOW tablet, hauling Soy and doing perimeters on fields its seemed fine, but was lacking when also trying to plot an active path on a baler.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Interesting little monitor. Apparently it supports DisplayPort over USB, so would it run with only a USB cord connecting it to the computer? Wikipedia suggests that Intel NUC boxes support it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This article
https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/acer-switch-alpha-12
mentions 432 nits for the Switch Alpha 12 vs 382 nits for the Surface Pro 4. As I understand it, 1 nit = 1 cd/m2.
Display mate lists it at 436, with all testing stats and procedures listed, also includes dim testing. Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Display Technology Shoot-Out
Most regard them a a reputable source. Magazines i trust less, but each to their own.

That one you linked from seeed indeed looks nice, especially if you have a NUC or other that can make use of the Full Function Type C port for a one wire connection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is one China tablet - CHUWI Hi12
Can't do links jet, so: techtablets(dot)com/chuwi-hi12/review/

though the brightness is quite low (302cd/m2). But it gets compensated by having micro USB for charging and two full-size USBs - 2.0 and 3.0 to connect our devices. :)

BR, Janis.

·
Registered
50 Posts
With my experience with computers in tractors I wouldn't want to run anything under 800nit. Panasonics FZ-G1 is ideal for me but only 10.1 in monitor. I have a acer switch alpha but not to great when sun shines into cab.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone maintaining a "sunlight readable" list of displays? Especially maker type stuff rather than industrial laptops.

Seen a couple of Beagle Bone and Arduino displays at Newhaven, and some other ones by STONE for outdoor apps like gas-pumps, etc.

Seen several much higher cost ones targeting recreational/boating type applications.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check out the GETAC line of rugged tablets with win10. They are not cheap.
For reference, http://www.avmap.it/G7Plus_Farmnavigator/us, which is the thing I use in one of my tractors, is 1000 nit and that is not cheap either
The terminal is running Linux, but they encrypt the update packages so I haven't yet found a way to replace the firmware.
Besides there is no firmware to replace with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts