The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS IS ONE OF OUR MOST ASKED QUESTIONS:
Will a bi-fold door be a good option in my windy location? What about if I live in a tornado or hurricane risk area?

Luckily, we have various wind protection options for our bi-fold doors. You can be sure that your Diamond Door will hold up to the environment and last for generations.

Each door is designed for the specific application, wind loads, and building specifications. By engineering the door specifically to the customers location wind load ratings, we can ensure it will withstand the weather of the area.
We have additional wind protection options available including:

J TRACK (FOR WOOD BUILDINGS).
The J track is attached to the outside of the building. It ensures the door roller stays against the building and provides a smooth surface for the door to roll up and down on. This design is exclusive to Diamond Doors.

COLUMN FOLLOWERS (FOR STEEL BUILDINGS).
Column followers are located on the bottom corners of the door. They prevent the door from blowing outwards and keep the door connected to the building. Commonly used in conjunction with our steel header and supporting columns for increased stability. The column followers slide along the inside flange of the building columns or steel header.
Both the J track and column followers prevent the door from being pushed out from the building when a positive air pressure is present.

Remember to operate the bi-fold door safely and use your discretion.
It is important to keep the door closed and locked during high winds or extreme weather event. This is important for the safety of your building and its contents.

CUSTOMER TESTIMONY
Patrick MacLean purchased 10 – 40×22 bifold doors from Diamond Doors for a project he was supplying.
On one of the buildings in the project they elected to install an overhead door instead of the bifold.

On March 11, 2007 there was a windstorm in Cardston, Alberta with winds more than 150 KPH. These winds blew over semi trailers and caused damage to many buildings in the area. During the storm, the overhead door was blown into the building. This caused extensive damage to the building and its contents.

The Diamond bi-fold Doors on the other buildings stood up to the winds no problem.
“I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW HOW HAPPY I AM WITH YOUR PRODUCTS, AND I WILL BE RECOMMENDING YOUR DOORS TO MY CUSTOMERS ON FUTURE PROJECTS.” – PATRICK MACLEAN
If you would like to request a quote please fill out our online Quote Request Form.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
My diamond door is fine after the wind, just the building moved and now can’t open the door !

·
Registered
1 Posts
We were lucky, broke 2 lag screws and pulled out the third on the latch on one side.The other side remained in place.

·
Vendor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We ended up drilling holes right through post and bolting those latches on with threaded rod after about a year.
Yes we saw your discussion about your building! After chatting with our service department, what you could also do in that situation is realign the J Tracks. The door will always stay square, so if the building leans, the J tracks will move with it. Hopefully that helps. If you still have issues or would like to discuss things with our service department directly don't hesitate to call 866-325-7600.

Reactions: bjtjjl

·
Registered
638 Posts
Damond doors should only sell doors with there premium post channels or whatever there called .
The ones I got are no good when windy , if it’s blowing the door won’t latch cause door won’t stay close to channel .
But everyone is selling garbage if a deal is to be made ........

·
Vendor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damond doors should only sell doors with there premium post channels or whatever there called .
The ones I got are no good when windy , if it’s blowing the door won’t latch cause door won’t stay close to channel .
But everyone is selling garbage if a deal is to be made ........
Depending how old your door is we may be able to offer a J Track upgrade to the door. The J tracks are standard now on every door for wood buildings, so I am assuming your door was made before we implemented that feature. If you would like to inquire about that upgrade please email [email protected] with some pictures of your door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts