The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tree farming in California. Fascinating read but long. I'll be mulling this over for the next couple days.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
a little seeder time reading for me. Skimmed over it. Amazing story. Not sure what to think of it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I read a story about him a couple years back focusing on almond production. One of my relatives was on the almond milk bandwagon at the time, so I showed her the story. She switched to oats. I would rather see a thousand farm owners than one BTO. But that’s the business model right. Constantly expand or you’re considered a failure. Cheap labour supplied by foreign workers to keep that food cheap.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Constant Growth of Course with help of Fed Pumping and that occasional Tax Funded bailout or investment in this case.

Their was an article in Heritage Iron about Woods & Copeland tractors which mentioned a Billionaire Shipping Magnate by the name of Daniel Ludwig who had several attempted farms in South America. Interesting... seems like he was going up against other players that assured he didn't Ultimately succeed in that business venture.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Ouch. Ripped through that in 45 mins and my brain hurts. Better go grab some more POM....And damnit you mean this stuff don’t make your Willy stiff? 😂
I was in Bakersfield a few years ago and had some oranges right off a roadside market and never had anything like that. I don’t know what this crap is we get up here but nothing comes close.

C4EBF7F9-3B45-4A53-B390-805DF0BF03E2.jpeg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ouch. Ripped through that in 45 mins and my brain hurts. Better go grab some more POM....And damnit you mean this stuff don’t make your Willy stiff? 😂
I was in Bakersfield a few years ago and had some oranges right off a roadside market and never had anything like that. I don’t know what this crap is we get up here but nothing comes close.

View attachment 158921
My Dad’s cousin used to haul Hogs down into California and Horses back to Canada. Every year right around Christmas he would make a run with a borrowed reefer trailer and bring back a trailer full of oranges and grapefruit. Most of it was destined for 3 Hutterite colonies but he also brought back for all of us too. Those oranges were bigger than a softball and I haven’t had a better orange since. He passed away in 07

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
It makes you wonder what the he!! happens to some of the food you buy from the time it leaves the farm until you buy it. I can't hardly eat meat from the store anymore, and fruit is so hit and miss. I know fruit and veggy growers have their issues, but some of that stuff must be picked so green to make it taste the way it does. It should only take a few days to get here from their, but it never tastes fresh.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'll bet the oranges we get in the stores were picked green, I've never had an actual ripened off the tree orange but have heard that same thing, that they are totally different and that even goes for lemons. Commercials that have nice orange colored oranges from Florida being presented, I highly doubt that is anything close to reality.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Yup tree-ripened bananas are pretty darn good. The varieties I've tasted in Africa and also the Middle East were smaller than the ones we have in our stores, but very good when naturally ripened.

Nearly all our imported fruit is picked and shipped green, and then ripened before sale using ethylene gas, which is a gas normally given off by ripening fruit. This helps convert the sugars in the fruit, but of course when you pick them green, there's less sugar to begin with. I learned that using ethylene gas to ripen fruit goes back to the ancient Egyptians.

I remember listening to an interview with a guy named Estabrooke who did an expose into the tomato industry and why tomatoes taste so bad these days. He started looking into things when he was behind a truck on the highway that had a bed full of what looked like green softballs. He realized they were tomatoes. After the truck hit a bump one of them fell out of the truck and bounced off the road at highway speeds and did not break!

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
How can a banana go from lime green one day to rotten the next?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
All our food grown has been modified to enhance shelf life. The taste is of lesser importance. That is why your garden tastes so much better than the crap you buy in the store. Hell even the wheat we grow is slowly being pushed out because not enough people can get their hands on the rights to force you to grow theirs. Lots of chefs actually prefer the real old varieties of wheat fresh ground by them. Red Fyfe is one that has been noted as having excellent characteristics in making flavorful bread etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had fresh bananas in Cuba years ago while on a jeep safari. Never had a banana like that. And the fresh pineapple and coconut made the best pina coladas EVER!

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Raising gardens, beef, and crops. I certainly believe raising for profit by the pound has hurt end quality of produce.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Interesting read. Our farm marketing group went down to the Tulare farm show last year.
We rented a suburban and toured around that area one day, Fresno, Bakersfield, Tulare areas. Really cool to see how those guys farm down there.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Wasn't there an piece about the same setup a few years back with the drought in California, on how they tried controlling the water and selling it?
All thru some dodgy political connections and all that type of crap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts