The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a 16”x104’ swing auger. My MFWD tractor is only 160 hp which is too small. Looked at trading up to larger MFWD or buying an old articulated 4wd for running the auger.

Anyone running an older articulated 4wd and what are the pro/con and would you do it again. Looks like external controls could be plumbed on for the starting and pto.

Not sure if tractor width would be a problem or not, thinking about getting a rodonno xtend to replace the swing auger.

Will the articulation joint wander back and forth while parked and screw things up?

Or just forget the idea and spend the fortune to upgrade to a 250-300 hp MFWD?

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Ya we use an old case 9230 on a 16125, love it. My guy plumbed in electric controls for the pto and throttle so that you can control them from the ground.

That said we could actually use something with a little more hp

·
Registered
131 Posts
growing up, Dad sprayed once, was done usually the first week of June, and actually enjoyed summer!! 60ft versatile with a 300 gallon tank, always had us kids take the nozzles off once a year and soak in diesel fuel for a day, and never worried about drift because everyone just had wheat!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
growing up Dad had custom sprayers.. a neighbour with an old chev (that was all inclosed)he sat right in front of the spray tank, gas driven pump also inside.. Then we had spray planes.. that was much more fun for me.. they landed on the road in front of the farmyard and taxied into the yard to fill, just being around the plane was exciting for me..and I got to flag for them the fields... we never sprayed on our own until I started farming.. Bought a new Versatile 60'. First time spraying with it.. got to the end of the field and didn't make the turn short enough.. wrapped a boom around a power pole.. Off to the welding shop it went with a full tank of chem..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Growing up we only had 4wds so they would run the swing at harvest. Lining up the spout was easy with the articulation but it was a bit tight backing in the trailer. That was with the old short swings and duals on the tractor so I don’t think it would be an issue with these new swings and the duals could come off. It certainly makes more sense to me to stick a 30k tractor on an auger than 300k. Also those old tractors will run without issue but these new ones it’s not if you will have a stupid electrical issue but when and I’ve never seen a farmer madder than when we had to tell him sorry but your new auger tractor needs a module to get the CAN talking again but it’s in the states, oh and we don’t have any tractors big enough with a PTO to run your auger in the meantime.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts