The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about the role of human in the future of farming considering the increasing usage frequency of artificial intelligence ?

What will "humans" do when softwares be able to farm incomparably more effective than "human" ?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
My thoughts on this, is if you want a future in this industry, you will need to own the means of production, which in most cases means the land. Autonomous machinery, AI, robotics, satellite imagery, drones, and all the information you could need available at your fingertips is a great equalizer of skills and abilities, and could nearly negate the value of experience, and generations worth of knowledge.

If your business model is based on renting the land( barn, etc), then there is really nothing separating you from the next guy who may have zero experience, but has the capital to buy the technology, and the knowledge, and therefore outbid you. At least if you own the assets, you can remain in the game, with or without the tech.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
We are a long way from AI making decisions on farming activities. Yes AI can control machines quite easily now, but the decisions to when those machines startup is often overlooked IMO. Anyone who has grow a crop knows that mother nature is the boss. We know exactly what a particular plant needs in terms of nutrients and water for a particular soil and can control that aspect, but we can not control the sky. Until there are very accurate local forecasts for more than five days AI will never be successful in decision making. Garbage in, garbage out as the saying goes. I can honestly say that listening to the weather forecast(and wife) have screwed me more times then just listening to the animals and my gut.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Duplicate post for some reason. But to add, I wish I would have recorded the wife when she told me not to listen to her anymore:giggle:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are a long way from AI making decisions on farming activities. Yes AI can control machines quite easily now, but the decisions to when those machines startup is often overlooked IMO. Anyone who has grow a crop knows that mother nature is the boss. We know exactly what a particular plant needs in terms of nutrients and water for a particular soil and can control that aspect, but we can not control the sky. Until there are very accurate local forecasts for more than five days AI will never be successful in decision making. Garbage in, garbage out as the saying goes. I can honestly say that listening to the weather forecast(and wife) have screwed me more times then just listening to the animals and my gut.
Agreed considering the current AI works invested in billions, trying to imitate neural network. Does not seem like it will be tech available for ordinary citizens in a near future but you are wrong about it is being worse than a human when making decisions, you cant even get close to it, nothing comparable.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Agreed considering the current AI works invested in billions, trying to imitate neural network. Does not seem like it will be tech available for ordinary citizens in a near future but you are wrong about it is being worse than a human when making decisions, you cant even get close to it, nothing comparable.
You obviously never had mother nature as a boss. All the billions invested just into weather forecasting/ climate change has yet to provide accurate forecasts, short or long term.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My thoughts on this, is if you want a future in this industry, you will need to own the means of production, which in most cases means the land. Autonomous machinery, AI, robotics, satellite imagery, drones, and all the information you could need available at your fingertips is a great equalizer of skills and abilities, and could nearly negate the value of experience, and generations worth of knowledge.

If your business model is based on renting the land( barn, etc), then there is really nothing separating you from the next guy who may have zero experience, but has the capital to buy the technology, and the knowledge, and therefore outbid you. At least if you own the assets, you can remain in the game, with or without the tech.
So, the same as right now.;)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
So, the same as right now.;)
Yes, except even more so. Access to an agronomist, all of the chemicals and genetics available to us now, machinery that adjusts itself, and only requires a single button in most cases, already has us at this point where access to the land is almost the only thing stopping anyone with enough funds from being a farmer.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Jvw, you are selling yourself short. Experience can make or break an operation. A good retired friend in Rosetown area just watched a Chinese outfit fold that he worked for a season. Why? They listened to what they were told to do by the Phd's. They couldn't care less for what he said since he didn't have a Phd or anything after his name. Maybe his advice would have not saved them, but it was more sound then what the phds said. I watched an agronomist tell a customer to up the rate on everst to control a group 2 resistant wild oats. Well I do not have to tell you how that went. There is no substitute for real world experience. Just because it looks good on paper does not mean it looks good in the dirt.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Instinct, gut feeling, and common sense will never be mimicked by any machine. You could follow the advice to every agronomist, expert, and person with a Phd and follow all the market advisers and accountants, and you would be broke by the third year.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Informationism that started with the invention of the transistors so computers is the manufacturing method of our era. In Capitalism era that living the last moments everything was organized by capital owner. Money buys the land, buys the equipment, buys the work force etc and sells the product. In informationism era, everyone will be able to produce their own equipment and workforce provided by robotics. This may sound a bit utopian nowadays but we are moving towards it and there are early examples of it like as Microsoft operating systems on sale and unpaid Linux, not perfect for now but will be perfected in time. In a World where everyone can produce every product they need sectoral structuring may not even be necessary, including agriculture.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Far too many variables. It'll be awhile yet...

Maybe it'll happen, if it does what happens to us? What do you do with a population with nothing to do?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe we could go back to hunter gatherer days. Every intervention to nature to be able to make more money breaks the natural chain in some point and each break causes more problems to occur.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts