The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what point do you switch to a self propelled? I cover about 9,000 acres per year, 6,000 being non row crop ( alfalfa Timothy wheat etc.) and the rest being row crop. I currently have a Summers ultimate NT 1500 gallon 90ft Green star rate controller Swath control.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I cover about 6500 acres a yr total. I Would not want to do that with a ground sprayer. Sp is so much nicer to run and quicker IMO. That's in central alberta

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
You switch when you want to or think you can do better with one.

I've gone from a self propelled to a pull type. But that is because it fits best for my operation. That's all that matters, is that you use what works best for you.

Acre amounts dont matter. Crop type matters only a bit. But how you configure your equipment base and manage your inputs is more important. Figure out you philosophy on chemical application. What aspects of it are most important to you. Then you can start to look at what sprayer type fits best.

The summers is a good rig. I have an ultra super NT 120' 1,500 gallon. I dont like the weight distribution so much as it off weights the pull unit when the booms are folded out. But that can be fixed. I also have 2 redball 132' 2,000 gallon sprayers. They have better pulling manners, but not as nice of plumbing.

With how my operation is configured, I get far more acres covered in the same time frame with my pt, and I do so in the manner that I feel is best for my crops. But that is how it works for me, in my area, my crops and using my application philosophies.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think anyone with over 3000 acres can easily justify a high clearance. Depends how many applications you do and if you need to deccicate your own lentils and spray canola for worms etc.

·
Registered
188 Posts
we farm 750 acres with a 60' 800 gallon pull type and thinking same thing. If we prolly was 1000-1500 would prolly start looking real heavy at a self-propelled

If I had 9,000 like you said I would be having a couple thats for sure. :)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Sounded to like it was 9000 acres total for the year. 1800 acres at 5 passes per year for example.

For me the high clearance made sense when I started doing more fungicide, preharvest roundup work where the pull type did not have enough ground clearance.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I used to do 20,000 acres a year with a 100' 1600 gallon pull type....wasn't too bad, still got everything done. But it pretty wide open here, no row crops, a lot of factors.

Wknt be giving up the high clearance anytime soon though...pretty nice to have the option to cover 1500 -2000 acres/day if I need too.

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
2000 per day? I never get that with my 100' booms and only spraying 4.5gpa with 1200 gallon tank. I am lucky if the day lets me get 1000 done.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
hehe once you can afford it.

Do around 12k plus with a PT, np just need one guy dedicated to it.

I guess add it to the list

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input! The idea of getting a SP has been in my mind for a while, it's just when I put some numbers together it's like, WOW, ok that idea was fun while it lasted. The only tank size I'd consider would be 1,200, being that I have spoiled myself with 1500 right from the start and most of the machines in our area that are in my price range are pretty much done when they get to the $ amount that would work for me. The big tank size is a major thing I consider because 75% of the work I do is 20 gallon work.

Ok so here is where probably most guys are thinking 9,000 acres per year and you have a hard time going to a SP, this is why, the farm which includes My Dad, brother and me were having all the spraying done by a custom applicator, they never did us wrong, always did a good job and so on. But one day I was talking to my dad and brought up the idea of the farm buying a sprayer to keep some money on the farm, why pay someone else, after looking at sprayers and stuff dad asked me if I wanted to buy the sprayer and just do all the farms spraying for custom rates, I own the sprayer, nurse trailer truck and usually have a tractor to use but some times will go rent one if they are all tied up. So having a sprayer payment that will eat up half a years profit just doesn't seem that appealing most of the time.

I could see if we weren't happy with the job the PT was doing, having an extra set of tracks when turning around, it's a little heavier than just a SP maybe leaves some deeper tracks sometimes but not once has dad said he wasn't happy with the job, or me or any of the crop advisors we deal with, so when there is nothing wrong with what I have, just sometimes a SP would be nice.

Just wanted to get some thoughts from others on what they thought, how many acres guys are covering with a PT, how many was to many with a PT and at what point do you start to be less efficient by not having a SP.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
If I had 9,000 like you said I would be having a couple thats for sure. :)
Really? We farm 5000 acres and I haven't thought that if we had double the acres we'd need double the machines..I guess the price of machines here I guess we don't have as narrow windows to get stuff sprayed..and that's with an 800 gallon 90' rogator..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Like Doorknob said it all depends on how you like to do it. We only farm about 600 acres and switched from pull type to a Hagie 284 with 60' booms two years ago and haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Really? We farm 5000 acres and I haven't thought that if we had double the acres we'd need double the machines..I guess the price of machines here I guess we don't have as narrow windows to get stuff sprayed..and that's with an 800 gallon 90' rogator..
Narrow windows when it hurts us.. We have just ran into issue where you might only have a couple days to spray.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts