The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any experience with the atomjet/harvest technologies add on hyd. for air seeders?

I am thinking of putting one on a 4000 series or 5200 Massey to better handle our air drill.

www.atomjet.com/harvest.php?section=p06

I would need their closed center system.

ks8780

·
Registered
944 Posts
ks8780: I know the Atomjet add on is good, several neighbors have put them on. I'm putting another pump on my 4880 for the same reason you are. My dealer is doing it, he is using a pump out of his parts dept. and purchasing the rest of the parts from wholesalers. It works out I can get everything installed for the price Atomjet wants for their parts package. My advise shop around. I'm putting on 2 controls because my airdrill has 2 seperate fans. If you ever need openers for your drill Atomjet has the best on the market, they never wearout.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
northernfarmer: thanks for the reply.

Are you putting a closed center pump on or an open center?

For the past 5 years I have been running this drill(Great Plains NTA3510) with a 4840. It does not have enough Hyd. flow and also the open center Hyd. What I have done, and it works OK so far, is run the fan and down pressure off of the #1 valve and put a standard flow control valve on the drill to adjust fan speed with excess oil dumping directly back to reservoir.Markers and fill auger on #2 hole. Then I tied into the 3-point hyd.,which is a separate system, with a elec.solenoid valve to raise and lower the drill.

Like I said it works OK. And the oil is not getting hot. But I would rather have a closed center pressure compensating system for the fan and down pressure.

ks8780

·
Registered
944 Posts
ks8780: Open center pump. My system was set up exactly same as your's, except I don't have the 3 point hyd. With the fan/s running off of the new pump, and down pressure off of the #1 valve, shouldn't that work?
Neil

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neil

Down pressure only running off of #1 might be a problem with heat? But I am in no way a hyd. expert!

It really depends on how your downpressure is plumbed. If you are going to lock #1 open you will have to turn flow way down at the remote or it will basically deadhead pump and blow the relief valve continuosly. Right? I think this will overheat oil. I don't know.

My drill runs the fan and down pressure for the wings of the drill on the same circuit. That is probably different than yours. Originally I was supposed to set the fan speed with the flow control on the tractor and then th excess oil went back to the down pressure regulator for the down press.

Everyone told me my system would not work. Said the oil would get to hot and burn up the pump. But so far so good.

Try it and see I guess

Matt

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Neil

I figured there would be a lot more Massey's pulling air drills up north of the border. Sounds like you guy's got something figured out.

Heck I think you have me convinced to just run the way I am setup now. Like i said it works fine with no obvious problems. If you are setting up simaliar to mine it should work for you.

Are you mounting your extra pump on the rear drive on the 903? That's what I almost did until I noticed how simple it would be to go into the 3-point system.

Matt

·
Registered
944 Posts
Matt: I'm no Hyd. expert either, I do know that there are several Massey 4000s pulling Seedhawk drills. They have down pressure on the wings and also on each shank, plus run the fan. The down pressure on the shanks cause the packing pressure for the packers. Give the Seedhawk boys a call, one of their employees uses a Massey without any mod to the hyd. system. Neil

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok that is where my 3 point pump is mounted. But its tank is the rear end housing.

I had the same deal with the fan slowing down also. Decided that would not work before I even went to the feild.

I talked to Great Plains and there suggestion was to buy a different tractor. That was a lot of help. Like I said mine has worked for 9-10 thousand acres and if it blows up tommorow I will still be ahead.

Matt

·
Registered
944 Posts
Matt
There is a mount on the front of the clutch, I think it is identical to the one that the factrory pump is mounted to. Dealer says it will look like factory installation. Putting on it's own filter and oil tank so there is no added heating. I hope it is going to work like I've been told.. The only problem I had with the old setup was the fan would slow down when I was putting the drill in the ground. Now with 2 fans I think it best to have them run with their own pump..... Neil

·
Registered
944 Posts
Matt: Told my dealer about your setup with the rearend housing being the tank. He thinks that is a great idea and will save me some money. Thanks.. How many hours n your tractor, any major work been done to it? Mine has over 7500 hours, and had a fair amount spent on it before I purchased it 2500 hours ago. Neil

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My tractor is a '80 with about 5000 hrs on it.
Have not had to do much to it. Front axle bearings last spring and had to do the rear axle pinion bearings 5-6 years ago. Put a few A/C pumps on it over the years and also 1 water pump and of course a few u-joints here and there. Overall It has been a cheap tractor to own.

All this tractor does anymore is drill it has only been unhooked once since we got the drill

Dad got a '79 that he traded an 1805 for and have had equally good luck with it.

Basically it sound like you are adding a 3-point pump system to your tractor minus the 3-point. You will just have to run more hoses up to the pump and back to the rear but they would be MF lines. If I remember right my 3-point pump is something like 12 gpm but remember I am only raising and lowering the drill so it is plenty.

Also the 3-point tractors run hyd fluid in the rear end and yours probably is running 90 wt. at least my bareback 5200 is.

Matt

·
Registered
944 Posts
The pump they installed will put out about 26 gpm, it is a jobber pump not MF as I thought. the rear end in my 4880 has hyd oil in it. They put fresh oil in, no metal was found when they drained the rear end.(good)
My tractor is used only for pulling the drill, heck of a workhorse. Everyone seems to shy away from the 903, but I've found if it is warmed up and cooled down they seem to be trouble free. Very cheap hp.
Your 5200 would be a good sized tractor for it's time. How much fuel would it burn when worked? What engine is in it?
Neil

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 5200 has a 370 hp 60 series Detroit and a 12 spd Twin-disc. It burns less fuel than the 903 does.

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts