The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a used J&M 875 grain cart that has a hydraulic kit on it. I would be pulling it with a 9180 case tractor (no PTO). My 9180 has an atom jet hydraulic kit already on it that I use for the air drill so thought it would be a good match.
My question is can I run the hydraulic motor on the cart with just the atom jet system or do I still need to use two hydraulics? Most places I read says that you always use 2 sets of tractor hydraulics to run the hydraulic motor (this is how the hoses on the 875 cart are currently set up). I believe my Atom Jet kit is 40 gallons per minute flow.
TIA

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody use Hydraulic drive on their cart? Do you use one or two sets of hydraulics?

·
Registered
143 Posts
When we bought ours it was set up with two sets of hoses. Only unloaded it once just too see how fast it was before we put a pto on. Prob about 40% capacity with hydraulics. Can't remember for sure but I believe it had 3/4 inch hoses but 1/2 inch couplers. If your Atom jet is set up with 3/4 inch couplers I don't see why you couldn't switch it to one remote without much problem

·
Registered
285 Posts
We have a 838 parker which would be similar to what you have and we run it with a 9350 CIH. Have to run two hyd on the pump or u cant get enough flow, not sure on what is needed but this tractor is a power shift and it gobbles up a lot of hyd just for that. You might get away with your atom jet cause I cant see our tractor having much more than that left of the capacity of factory pump.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I did some research about this cart/tractor combo.
Grain Cart
The grain cart has 2 separate sets of hydraulics lines to get enough hydraulic flow to the hydraulic motor. The lines are 3/4 inch and the couplers are 1/2 inch.
The cart requires 5 sets of hoses: Auger, Choke, Spout and 2 for the Hydraulic Motor
Max hydraulic flow allowed is 40gpm

Tractor
Tractor has 4 outlets + atom jet kit
Tractor is 40gpm total flow with 4 hydraulics so likely 10-15 gpm out of each set

Atom Jet Kit
Turns out this kit is 18 gal/min which is not enough flow on its own.
1/2 couplers
Switch in the cab
Flow control valve at the coupler

So my plan is to hook one set of hoses to the atom jet and one set of hoses to the far hydraulic coupler to run the cart hydraulic motor. Then the other 3 tractor hydraulics will be available for the other functions. I was concerned about mixing the 2 hydraulic systems but the techs at Atom jet said it doesn't matter because the oil is sourced and returned from the same tank.

Anybody else try a set up like this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts