The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on AJ Twin Band vs Dutch Precision paired row for triple shooting NH3. I was looking at adding mid row shanks to my 1820 JD that has Gen paired row on it now. I want to add NH3 but havent made up my mind yet. I did find used MRB shanks to buy but I am still considering the Atom Jets and the Dutch triple shoot openers. I like the simplicity and lower draft of the AJ but not crazy about the shallow NH3 placment in canola...also the price is horrific!! The Dutch Precision are almost as expensive but there are some used ones for cheap so that could be a good option. I like the placement of the NH3 with them but worried about seed/fert mixing and draft requirments especially when seeding into grass or alfalfa sod. Has anyone regretted their Twin Band or Precision purchase and why? I farm the north end of the Red River Valley so our soil is mostly gumbo which can go from extremely goopy to cement depending on the year....we also seed winter wheat so are somtimes seeding into hard canola stubble in early September. Just trying to make the right decision as my crop depends on it!!...so does my bank account!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I was going to go with Dutch Precision a couple of years ago, but the Dutch rep didn't recommend them in clay soils (we are a clay loam). He had lots of horror stories of clay plugging the seed tube. I liked placing the fertilizer deep and then sealing it before the seed tube comes along though! We ended up going with Dutch universals. (We fall band our nh3 though. Only do a PKS blend in the spring.)

Andrew

·
Registered
19 Posts
We ran the dutch universals for one year and hated them. Thankfully dutch was very good about it and took them back in and replaced them with the precision series with a 3.5" paired row. Night and day we love them. I looked at the atom jets but just not enough separation for my liking. The precision have excellent seed and nh3 placement and little to no gasing off behind each shank. As far as draft goes we dont notice much difference but we are pulling 40' with 325hp. Our soil is kind of a sandy loam

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We ran the dutch universals for one year and hated them. Thankfully dutch was very good about it and took them back in and replaced them with the precision series with a 3.5" paired row. Night and day we love them. I looked at the atom jets but just not enough separation for my liking. The precision have excellent seed and nh3 placement and little to no gasing off behind each shank. As far as draft goes we dont notice much difference but we are pulling 40' with 325hp. Our soil is kind of a sandy loam
It seems that the Precision paired row is the way to go if using Dutch. I have 52ft with 430bus tank as well as NH3 tank behind....425hp tractor....hope thats enough hp as we are generally very heavy clay. The rep from Dutch doesnt seem to be real familier with clay soils though...he said they sold lots of Precision openers in the Brandon and SW MB areas and they worked well. This is very differant ground here!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
It seems that the Precision paired row is the way to go if using Dutch. I have 52ft with 430bus tank as well as NH3 tank behind....425hp tractor....hope thats enough hp as we are generally very heavy clay. The rep from Dutch doesnt seem to be real familier with clay soils though...he said they sold lots of Precision openers in the Brandon and SW MB areas and they worked well. This is very differant ground here!
That's weird! I'm just north of Brandon and the Dutch rep I spoke to said he did not recommend them. I really wanted to try them as I liked the idea of placing the fert deep, then sealing, then placing the seed in a paired row above that. We definitely get mixing of seed and fert with the universals. I'd say 40-45% of the seed is in the left row, 40-45% in the right row and the last 10-20% is sprinkled down the middle. Really makes you wonder about survivability when those seeds in the middle are trying to grow up through the PKS band!

Andrew

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Precision works well in all types of soil but in the past we had issues with plugging of the granular fertilizer opening down the front of the opener. We have solved this by offering a body that is specific to applying granular fertilizer. When applying NH3 down the front, plugging has never been an issue as long as the insulated NH3 kit is installed correctly (the discharge is lower than the side plates). The seed tube at the back has been a selling feature of this opener since it was introduced because of it's inability to plug.

The sales personnel may have been hesitant back when we had the plugging issues with granular fertilizer but they have always been a recommended opener for applying NH3 while seeding.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Dutch Precision

That's weird! I'm just north of Brandon and the Dutch rep I spoke to said he did not recommend them. I really wanted to try them as I liked the idea of placing the fert deep, then sealing, then placing the seed in a paired row above that. We definitely get mixing of seed and fert with the universals. I'd say 40-45% of the seed is in the left row, 40-45% in the right row and the last 10-20% is sprinkled down the middle. Really makes you wonder about survivability when those seeds in the middle are trying to grow up through the PKS band!

Andrew
I have no experience with AJ but have seeded with Precisions for 10 years. Got rid of early Andersons before the precisions , mainly because the NH3 point was about 4" below the sealer plate and with edge on shanks it was hard to change angle of the opener in the ground. I did make 4 degree wedges for the shank to frame mount that made it all work sort of. The length of the opener changes the depth relationship between front tip and sealer plate by 1/2" for each per 1 degree of change in mounting angle so is critical. Plan a few days/or weeks!! under the drill making sure your angles are correct. The problem if the tip is too deep is it fractures a V trench and specially if your opener is only 3 1/2" PR , there may not be any seed shelf left. If you go wider than 3 1/2" then not many packers are not wide enough, specially a rounded 3 1/2 " I have been going around this circle for 15 years and after a couple of years with Dutch Universal that were very poor in my soil(would not stay in the ground, NO fert. separation and therefore extreme canola seed damage) I am back looking at new series Precisions. The points are getting shallower in relation to sealer plates/seed depth. Later in the spring our soil can get very hard and dry and penetration is a issue with such a wide opener. If the differential is about 1 1/4" with no load or in softer soil maybe a little more they should work. Dutch has a new Precision out the rep told me just Friday. It has only 3/4" differential. That seems like not enough for NH3. A far as power requirements, 400 HP was flat out with my 4012 Concord when I had the old Andersons on. If the new openers are set up right you should be ok for power. Keep us posted. I haven't written the cheque yet!!
There is a new thread on this site about the Anderson Razer that will be interesting to watch. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
With NH3 down the front, seed in a paired row, and dry fertilizer in the center behind the seed boot, the Precisions work very well- very little plugging

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dutch Precision 3.5"

Sorry for the late response I just stumbled on this thread. We are looking at Precision Paired row 3.5'' with gas down the middle for the fact that the gas is deeper. We have used the Super eagle tips before and had nothing but trouble in our stony land. They would snap around the roller pin. Is this an angle problem? What angle should these openers sit at on a Edge-on shank on a concord drill?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts