The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a John Deere service tech and the other day we had a call from a customer with a 9550 and a bad vibration...

So I go and check it out and the primary countershaft is vibrating in its gearcase. As I am pulling this apart, I discovered a grease zerk behind the electric clutch. The owner of the machine was helping me get the clutch to the ground and he said "Well I never knew that was there."

On a 9550 the service chart is right on the ladder; he quickly pointed out that it wasn't on there...I told him it was probably in the book. Looked in the book and there was nothing. I pulled up service advisor and could find no reference to this grease fitting on the lube chart, and on our 2 combines, a 9550 and a 9560 STS.
I took some pics to show where it is, and show that the diagram is not there, nor has it ever been greased. I also worked on a brand new 9660sts, happend to glance at it as well. No reference, and the fitting is still there

Has anyone else seen anything like this, known that this fitting was there, or had problems? No one at my dealership knew anything about it

Heres the pics

·
Registered
21 Posts
That fitting is only meant to de filled with grease after a shaft or gearcase rebuild and is mentioned in tech manual to be filled with grease before tightning nut on shaft onLH side which is there to prevent shaft from seizing into gearcase and should theretically have nothing to do with wear as LH nut forces electric clutch and primary gearcase against shoulder of shaft with about 250lbs of torgue-------normallt you can get away with replacing worn electric clutch hub and nut and i always torgued it more than spec in book as i have done quite a few of these

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes thats all true, however, the splines on the countershaft were wore so bad they were sharp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
he must have had a vibration for a long time---did you need to replace primary gear case splines as well-----the best thing a operator can do is keep the nut on electric clutch tight because even if things are greased - if the nut begins to get loose then there still will be vibration and wear although greasing it will definitely prolong wear------if nut is kept tight then things will not wear and this fitting should never need grease unless disassembled as it only to keep things from seizing up ---also the Rh bearing and collar is bad for getting loose and wearing on shaft creating vibration

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yeah I saw that zerk when I was PDIing the first 50 series back in 2000. Any machines I look after now I just give it a few shots every year to help for possible disassembly/wear.

·
Registered
245 Posts
We had this same zerk on our 9510. I think the manual called it a 50 hour greasing. We traded our 9510 but I remember that zerk because it was well hidden. I am almost positive this zerk was shown in our 9510 manual.

·
Registered
578 Posts
on a different note, on our 9650sts the lube chart on the right hand side says theres a zerk near the bevel gears on the bottom of the unloading auger, we cannt find it. could someone please direct me to it

·
Registered
289 Posts
I found this grease zerk behing the electric clutch 2 years ago, because the splines were wore off. I had to replace the shaft and the gear case. The nut on the electric clutch was still tight. We had no vibrations until the combine quit working. Ever since I grease the zerk.
This is similar to the splines on the final drive shafts. If those couplers would have grease zerks on I bet they would last longer.

I have posted this on here a long time ago.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's above the top gear in the top housing, take a flash light and shine it up above the gear that actually runs the auger, it faces down and out at a 45 degree angle.

jd

·
Registered
52 Posts
i believe there is a PIP on that gear box. we are to our second gear box and it seems like it on the way again. not to mention that it vibrated to a point the frame crack and needed to be re-enforced.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Saw a used 9750 on dealers lot with welds on frame under gearbox and with a new drive shaft back to engine gearcase. What is causing the vibration? Any serial number range?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts