The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
When Ritchie Bros sells, you can sometimes tell when they are struggling to hit the guarantee. They will work and work trying to get more, they hit a number and it sells quick.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Looks like as of today, Mar 20, all RB sales are online only now including farm site sales...none are being canceled as yet as per the website.

·
Registered
523 Posts
yes I heard no small lots,if I was having a sale I would be pissed.What are you going to do with it , should be able to postpone sale

·
Premium Member
8,109 Posts
I logged into my RB account and noticed that they upped my bidding limit substantially from where it was last year, and I never even asked...lol

This could be a big time saver though, I've gone to so many sales before and wasted a day for nothing. Seeding should finish a week sooner this year than normal if guys aren't standing around buying stuff...

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Actually dont really mind the online bidding at RBs. Saves a pile of time. Last spring went to 4 RB sales looking for equipment, bought a coffee and didnt even get a bid in on the items I was after. Watched a dozen online sales and dont think I spent as much time watching all 12 as I did driving to the first onsite sale. Ended up buying what I was after from my phone as I was spraying. The only downside is there isn't as many "deals" as an onsite no internet bidding sale.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yeah should be interesting with buyer's premiums at farm sales. No premium if you raise your hand in person, but if you are cold and sitting in the vehicle at the same sale and bid from the comfort of the truck you get charged.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Yeah should be interesting with buyer's premiums at farm sales. No premium if you raise your hand in person, but if you are cold and sitting in the vehicle at the same sale and bid from the comfort of the truck you get charged.
Yea I got burnt on that when it changed to apply to online farm sale purchases and I hadn't noticed the change, was only one item I was after so did the online thing and then since it was only about 20 miles away drove over there to pay and pick it up, even paying in person I still had to pay the premium simply because it had been an online bid.

·
Registered
302 Posts
RB website recently updated website no online buyers fee. All auction are on line only. No mention of rescheduling or cancelling.
Got an email from olds auctions market yesterday saying there couple farm sales are a go but online only or phone bidding.
Perlich down south rescheduled there sales to June/July.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Just spent several minutes looking in many different places on their site...where does it say there is no buyers premium on online farm sale purchases? Page reads exactly as it did yesterday and is dated March 20. Only thing free is registering and the actual bidding, buyers premium still listed under terms...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Its only dropped for farms sales though. Transaction fees still apply to consignment sales.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Have to be very careful online buying with no ground buyers. I buy a lot of stuff online from RB and have noticed that when they have say 6 identical looking items and the onsite crowd stops bidding early or won’t start a bid on 1 or 2 of the items that is because there is usually a reason you don’t see in the online photos.

As a guy who has bought some of the cheaper items, I was disappointed every time they came home. Learned to watch the crowd. If they bid agressive the item was probably good and then I would bid online.

Be extra careful this spring. A lot of “turds” are going to be sold for full price online.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Have to be very careful online buying with no ground buyers. I buy a lot of stuff online from RB and have noticed that when they have say 6 identical looking items and the onsite crowd stops bidding early or won’t start a bid on 1 or 2 of the items that is because there is usually a reason you don’t see in the online photos.

As a guy who has bought some of the cheaper items, I was disappointed every time they came home. Learned to watch the crowd. If they bid agressive the item was probably good and then I would bid online.

Be extra careful this spring. A lot of “turds” are going to be sold for full price online.
that's usually what I watch for as well, but had good luck buying online without seeing the machine.
I just hate the fee ritchie charges you for bidding online, now that they drop the fee it should be more fair, they should stop with that high fee in general. bought something for $24k and had to pay them an extra $1600 for online bid, **** I only had to drive 2 hours to make it to the auction easy money made for a 2 hour drive, I told them something came up and if they were willing to waive but no dice there, atleast it was a good buy.

·
Registered
19 Posts

As an on site buyer, I’ve seen that happen lots. One time,it was the last item left of a group and it was obvious from the bleachers that there were major problems. The truck was leaving a trail of oil and coolant as it went by us. It sold for more than the rest and it went to Florida, from an Edmonton sale! I’m sure that didn’t turn out well. I have never forgotten that lesson. I’m sure it’s caused me to miss some things due to over cautious bidding!

21 - 40 of 108 Posts