The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody tried adding diesel or kerosene to hydraulic system on auger for running mover and drag motor? Heard it makes everything run smoother on cold winter days. Does it work? How much do you thin it?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I was curious myself about the comment of adding kerosene and did some reading and pump manufactures certainly don't condone it due to pump wear and failures although that information was more in terms of larger pumps etc. Personally I'd go another route if you don't mind trying another oil before putting fuel into oil. I know the kerosene trick has been done for years in the north with hydraulic oil that was too thick for winter use in hoists and that was the easy solution vs draining it and putting in the proper oil and years ago there was no oil made to use like there is now.

I won't claim at all that what I am using is entirely proper because its somewhat limited on the upper temperature ranges but I have used this oil all year around for a number of years and do run our binsweep with it and knock on wood, so far haven't had a pump issue, it does have a filter in the system which it should have in any case. The oil I am using was called Esso J 13 but now that its Mobil, its Mobil Univis HVI 13 and here is a link to the site to read up a bit about it.

Univis HVI

I was also told by an outfit in Sask that puts a lot of self moving augers together, that they use a normal ATF and that does very well also but its not as high tech as this HVI 13. I've been really pleased with how the wheels/winch work although I do throw off the belts, auger drive and pump if its extremely cold just to get the engine fired up and run a bit, then put the belts on and restart as its the belts that are far more stiff then this oil is.

Do you know what oil you have in the system now ?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think all you need to do is switch to straight synthetic oil. It cost more but it will flow great and lubricate like it needs to. Heavy equipment operator I know changes all his track hoes over, he said it save blowing seals out of the hydraulic cylinders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.