The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to buy a Meridian TL10x39 auger with and was wondering which motor to get on it and what guys have on their load out augers and if they are happy with them. Not sure about a Vanguard 35 hp or a Kohler 35 - 38 hp. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Have the same auger with a Kohler 37hp, its not the EFI one. It has never let me down. Have started and loaded lots of loads on -30 days with a wind. Have to cover the cooling fan with some tape to let it run a bit warmer in winter. Have close to 200hrs on it. Change oil and grease once and a while is ll the maintenance its needed. Usually about 20-30min for a super b load out of hoppers.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ooooh I like this thread, a chance to promote the pieces of **** I've had in the past. If you like never starting below zero buy a EFI Kohler, and if you like having gas in the oil all the time, buy a regular kohler. Oh add Honda into that mix, worst auger engine I've ever owned!! Best 5-6 hp engines on earth.....auger engines?? nope! I've had the best luck with a Onan, but he was put to rest also a few years ago. Right now I have a vanguard on a 10-46 meridian and it is a horse, and have done nothing but change oil and add gas.

Now the remedy to maintain a auger engine is the gas you use. Now I always thought this was BS, but the partial addition of ethanol destroys and gums up the small components that deliver the fuel. So I started using ASPEN 4, and I haven't had any problems for over 8 months now. Luck or luck?? No idea, but I think there is something to it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ooooh I like this thread, a chance to promote the pieces of **** I've had in the past. If you like never starting below zero buy a EFI Kohler, and if you like having gas in the oil all the time, buy a regular kohler. Oh add Honda into that mix, worst auger engine I've ever owned!! Best 5-6 hp engines on earth.....auger engines?? nope! I've had the best luck with a Onan, but he was put to rest also a few years ago. Right now I have a vanguard on a 10-46 meridian and it is a horse, and have done nothing but change oil and add gas.

Now the remedy to maintain a auger engine is the gas you use. Now I always thought this was BS, but the partial addition of ethanol destroys and gums up the small components that deliver the fuel. So I started using ASPEN 4, and I haven't had any problems for over 8 months now. Luck or luck?? No idea, but I think there is something to it.
Grizzer , I am tired of gas in the oil to on the Kohler. All four had that problem and now I am ready to try a different brand. Do you mean ASPEN 4 gets rid of the oil in the gas problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Vanguard on an HD10. Been an excellent engine. Mine was built by Daihatsu in Japan. I read a few years ago that they are bringing production back to the US so maybe now they will be absolute garbage like the rest of the Briggs and Stratton engines. Still can't be worse than the Kohler I guess.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I replaced a 38 Kohler with 35 Vanguard. Nowhere near the power of the Kohler. Don't need a moisture tester anymore, Vanguard can't pull a full Sakundiak 10" unless it's dry. Had no problems loading tough wheat with the Kohler.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Kohler's need to have the fuel pump changed when gas is in the oil, at least that has been our experience. Have had reasonable luck with our newer Kohler engines. Imo I actually like the Kawasaki we have on one lawn mower of all the small engines we have around.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
With all the problems with gas, carbs, EFI systems, very short life span, etc. I wonder why all the great little diesel engines haven't caught on more. Cost? Short term. A 37 HP Kohler I think at UFA was $3,800ish recently. I was shocked. I bought a Mitsubishi S4L2 4 cyl 1.8 l that puts out 39 hp at 3,000 rpm for just over $7.000 including the gauge and control panel with Murphy shutdowns.That is close to double cost but it will wear out several augers. Not the other way around. Some other brands to look at would be Kubota 1505 4 cyl 1.5 l 35 hp at 3,000. If that is a little maxed out on power go up to a 2403 which is 4 cyl 2.4 l and 49 hp at 2700. It weighs 487 lbs compared to the 1505 at 243.

Isuzu also builds a great engine like a 4LE2 2.2 l 4 cyl and is up over 50 hp at 2500. I have just spent several days at RB and have seen hundreds of these little diesels on gensets, light towers, reefer vans etc. and think for $3-5,000 (the price of the gas engine) you could have a pretty solid engine with a lot of life left. Considering the high hour units are in the 20-30,000 hr range, one with 5,000 hours should be decent. Or just buy a new one! I know a few guys on this forum like their Kubota's!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Grizzer your comment on the Honda’s is 100% dead on ... those 24-27hp engines are complete **** .... I can’t believe they make that garbage

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Grizzer your comment on the Honda’s is 100% dead on ... those 24-27hp engines are complete **** .... I can’t believe they make that garbage
The 20hp ones aren’t very good either. Any V twin Honda is garbage. Honda should of stuck to single cylinder engines.
We have a 38hp Koehler on one auger and it’s decent but has all the troubles people have mentioned. Taking the crank vent out of the intake fixed a lot of the problems. It’s 10 years old and the auger is pretty much wore out so can’t complain too much about it. Our other 10” auger has a 35 vanguard on it. So far it’s been good but it’s only a year old.

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
I knew that would come up! The diesels are liquid cooled so you can put in a large block heater. If you are not by a plug in, put that great little Honda 2000 W generator to work for 15 minutes.
And I knew that would come up!
Also, cost spread, but as augers have grown and more feature laden (movers, lights, spouts, hoppers, clutches) that % gap is shrinking, maybe even diesel engine prices have softened.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Gas jobs definitely more suited to remote bin yards where power isn’t close to plug them in but for the hassle of keeping them running I think having to warm a diesel isn’t a big deal. Ethanol gasoline is murder on small engines especially in the winter. I add enough seafoam and the odd splash of ATF in the gas and haven’t had to pull a carb apart or change a fuel pump on the kohlers for the last number of years. They’re great when it’s sunny and 75 but take a bit more care when -20. I don’t know why anyone would be masochistic enough to put a Honda on an auger. Even a quad is tough to get running when it gets cold. Absolutely poorest cold weather running engines ever made.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Cold temperature starting.
I realize there are some setups that have a mini diesel heater to bring the temperature up of the engine and of course allow it to even start in cold weather in fairly short order but one has to be equipped with that or the alternative is plugging in but block heaters take time, need electricity nearby and if ones in a rush with no advance notice its not ideal. That is the advantage of the gas engine is being able to start in pretty cold temps and even just cool out and firing up that gas pile of crap and hit the throttle wide open and start augering. I doubt most diesels would like to be abused like the gas pots end up being.

I haven't looked into it but depending on the size of the diesel engine in a physical sense as well as the weight, are some of these auger engine platforms even designed to take the size/weight of such a unit ?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Gas jobs definitely more suited to remote bin yards where power isn’t close to plug them in but for the hassle of keeping them running I think having to warm a diesel isn’t a big deal. Ethanol gasoline is murder on small engines especially in the winter. I add enough seafoam and the odd splash of ATF in the gas and haven’t had to pull a carb apart or change a fuel pump on the kohlers for the last number of years. They’re great when it’s sunny and 75 but take a bit more care when -20. I don’t know why anyone would be masochistic enough to put a Honda on an auger. Even a quad is tough to get running when it gets cold. Absolutely poorest cold weather running engines ever made.
obviously you have never owned a mid 2000's Rotax engine in a quad, that is the poorest cold weather starter ever made.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
obviously you have never owned a mid 2000's Rotax engine in a quad, that is the poorest cold weather starter ever made.
Because Rotax has no experience with building engines that need to start in cold weather***

I pull started the carbed 800 Summit at almost 40 below this winter, and went to help a neighbour.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts