The Combine Forum banner

Auger Motors

14K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  Howie 
#1 ·
Im looking to buy a Meridian TL10x39 auger with and was wondering which motor to get on it and what guys have on their load out augers and if they are happy with them. Not sure about a Vanguard 35 hp or a Kohler 35 - 38 hp. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks!

#3 ·
Have the same auger with a Kohler 37hp, its not the EFI one. It has never let me down. Have started and loaded lots of loads on -30 days with a wind. Have to cover the cooling fan with some tape to let it run a bit warmer in winter. Have close to 200hrs on it. Change oil and grease once and a while is ll the maintenance its needed. Usually about 20-30min for a super b load out of hoppers.

#4 ·
Ooooh I like this thread, a chance to promote the pieces of **** I've had in the past. If you like never starting below zero buy a EFI Kohler, and if you like having gas in the oil all the time, buy a regular kohler. Oh add Honda into that mix, worst auger engine I've ever owned!! Best 5-6 hp engines on earth.....auger engines?? nope! I've had the best luck with a Onan, but he was put to rest also a few years ago. Right now I have a vanguard on a 10-46 meridian and it is a horse, and have done nothing but change oil and add gas.

Now the remedy to maintain a auger engine is the gas you use. Now I always thought this was BS, but the partial addition of ethanol destroys and gums up the small components that deliver the fuel. So I started using ASPEN 4, and I haven't had any problems for over 8 months now. Luck or luck?? No idea, but I think there is something to it.

#5 ·
Ooooh I like this thread, a chance to promote the pieces of **** I've had in the past. If you like never starting below zero buy a EFI Kohler, and if you like having gas in the oil all the time, buy a regular kohler. Oh add Honda into that mix, worst auger engine I've ever owned!! Best 5-6 hp engines on earth.....auger engines?? nope! I've had the best luck with a Onan, but he was put to rest also a few years ago. Right now I have a vanguard on a 10-46 meridian and it is a horse, and have done nothing but change oil and add gas.

Now the remedy to maintain a auger engine is the gas you use. Now I always thought this was BS, but the partial addition of ethanol destroys and gums up the small components that deliver the fuel. So I started using ASPEN 4, and I haven't had any problems for over 8 months now. Luck or luck?? No idea, but I think there is something to it.
Grizzer , I am tired of gas in the oil to on the Kohler. All four had that problem and now I am ready to try a different brand. Do you mean ASPEN 4 gets rid of the oil in the gas problem.

#6 ·
I have a Vanguard on an HD10. Been an excellent engine. Mine was built by Daihatsu in Japan. I read a few years ago that they are bringing production back to the US so maybe now they will be absolute garbage like the rest of the Briggs and Stratton engines. Still can't be worse than the Kohler I guess.

#8 ·
Kohler's need to have the fuel pump changed when gas is in the oil, at least that has been our experience. Have had reasonable luck with our newer Kohler engines. Imo I actually like the Kawasaki we have on one lawn mower of all the small engines we have around.

#9 ·
With all the problems with gas, carbs, EFI systems, very short life span, etc. I wonder why all the great little diesel engines haven't caught on more. Cost? Short term. A 37 HP Kohler I think at UFA was $3,800ish recently. I was shocked. I bought a Mitsubishi S4L2 4 cyl 1.8 l that puts out 39 hp at 3,000 rpm for just over $7.000 including the gauge and control panel with Murphy shutdowns.That is close to double cost but it will wear out several augers. Not the other way around. Some other brands to look at would be Kubota 1505 4 cyl 1.5 l 35 hp at 3,000. If that is a little maxed out on power go up to a 2403 which is 4 cyl 2.4 l and 49 hp at 2700. It weighs 487 lbs compared to the 1505 at 243.

Isuzu also builds a great engine like a 4LE2 2.2 l 4 cyl and is up over 50 hp at 2500. I have just spent several days at RB and have seen hundreds of these little diesels on gensets, light towers, reefer vans etc. and think for $3-5,000 (the price of the gas engine) you could have a pretty solid engine with a lot of life left. Considering the high hour units are in the 20-30,000 hr range, one with 5,000 hours should be decent. Or just buy a new one! I know a few guys on this forum like their Kubota's!

#11 ·
Grizzer your comment on the Honda’s is 100% dead on ... those 24-27hp engines are complete **** .... I can’t believe they make that garbage
The 20hp ones aren’t very good either. Any V twin Honda is garbage. Honda should of stuck to single cylinder engines.
We have a 38hp Koehler on one auger and it’s decent but has all the troubles people have mentioned. Taking the crank vent out of the intake fixed a lot of the problems. It’s 10 years old and the auger is pretty much wore out so can’t complain too much about it. Our other 10” auger has a 35 vanguard on it. So far it’s been good but it’s only a year old.

#16 ·
Gas jobs definitely more suited to remote bin yards where power isn’t close to plug them in but for the hassle of keeping them running I think having to warm a diesel isn’t a big deal. Ethanol gasoline is murder on small engines especially in the winter. I add enough seafoam and the odd splash of ATF in the gas and haven’t had to pull a carb apart or change a fuel pump on the kohlers for the last number of years. They’re great when it’s sunny and 75 but take a bit more care when -20. I don’t know why anyone would be masochistic enough to put a Honda on an auger. Even a quad is tough to get running when it gets cold. Absolutely poorest cold weather running engines ever made.

#25 ·
That's a big circulating heater for the amount of coolant, would want one that would shut off when it reaches a certain temperature if possible as I think they will burn out if overheated but I like that quick heat time indeed. Certainly a pickup would work as well but would have to depend on "that pickup" being there to do the job. I figured it was pretty slick what I was shown a few years ago with a diesel heater on a light tower trailer and happened to be a Kubota and claimed it never took that long of the burner going to do its job, all self contained and didn't rely on any other sources to do what was required which I was impressed with the concept ( why they put them on trucks, tractors, hoes, anything that sits remotely out in the bush ) . I'd have to pay closer attention to the larger augers at their engine mount as my 8" auger engine mount wouldn't do so well !, and some of these "truck load" shorty special augers they advertise as come with a lighter undercarriage frame just to make the auger lighter so probably have to choose an auger accordingly to plan for a beefy engine.

#26 ·
When looking at specs, look at the engine torque. You don't need a 37hp diesel to replace a 37hp gas. Notice the guys who do put a 40hp diesel in place of 37hp gas all mention a crazy amount of power. It's because guys aren't looking at the right number. And why manufacturers will have recommendations for a 27hp gas engine on an auger or 15hp electric on that same auger. Put a 30hp electric on instead of a 27 hp gas "just to make sure" and yes, it will move grain of any dampness. Putting a 30hp diesel on is same idea. Or, put a 350hp 855 Cummins into your half ton because the 325 hp gaser is a little short for pulling the camper.

#27 ·
I knew of some welders who had connected the coolant hoses from the welder to the truck to keep the welder warm while travelling. Worked well.

#29 ·
Thanks for the responses. I have zero interest in a diesel motor that'll cost 2 or 3 times a gas motor. I went from the old blue Kohler's which seemed bullit proof to me, to Hondas, a 20 and 24hp, the 20hp was temperamental in winter, but the 24hp has never missed a beat for 10 years! Never had an issue with it not starting because of the motor itself, it was usually a water in the fuel issue. Winter will not be an issue either, because the only time it would be out of the heated shop would be between loads. So for reliability and power its kind of a toss up between a Vanguard and a Kohler from what I can tell so far. Hard to compare older carbureted motors to newer EFI's also.

#31 · (Edited)
I was just about to throw that question out Meskie and seems you may know the answer. Its about the availability of winter kits for gas engines and typically I've seen nothing on the Kohler engines of a few years ago that a dealer was bringing in anyway other then the one I got with the low profile air filter special ordered through an outfit with the special muffler with the pass through hot air system. So what does the Vanguard winter kit look like and can it be switched on or off ( a summer/winter setting ? ) and does it keep or do away with that high mount air filter system ? . In fact is there any information on the Vanguard winter kit system on some website.

A neighbor had a regular non winter kit Kohler and had problems blowing the crank seal right out when it was cold because the crank case vent tube would ice shut and build up so much case pressure, don't need problems like that and a seized engine.

#32 ·
The vanguard has a flexible tube you hook from the air cleaner to a heat shield on the muffler. Two hose clamps and it’s off or on. There is a cap sorta thing to put on filter housing after. Nothing else changes. Ours had the crank vent line taken off the intake and routed down the engine To vent below with insulation on it to keep it from freezing. Here is a picture I found
Text Line art Organism Illustration Jaw

#34 ·
Since you got that information from wheatheart, I wonder if those items such as that muffler shield and the pipe is not a B&S thing but their own thing. I'd have to ask the Meridian dealer around here who actually handles Vanguard as it seems the Kohler is the more common engine other dealers throw on augers. Also that crank case reroute, probably a dealer thing again is my guess.

#36 ·
NF, we bought our vanguard from a small motor dealer and the cold package came with so it’s definitely from the manufacturer. Nice weather came in spring and I took the hose off. Too early I guess. It was only minus 5 that morning and I had frost build up on the intake and it was running like ****. Put the hose back on and she smoothened right out. So it definitely is a must have.

#35 ·
Our vanguard is on a meridian auger. I think it says right in the engine manual to reroute vent hose for cold weather. They also put a hose on the oil drain so changing oil doesn’t end up with oil everywhere. We purchased the auger through local coop and they get them set up at factory. The coop said they were having a lot better luck with the vanguard. They don’t get the kohler anymore.

#38 ·
I have 3 augers with 35 HP Commercial Briggs Vanguards on them. That engine is too weak for a 10 x 50 Meridian but I have been well pleased putting this engine on a 10 x 45 Meridian and on a 8 x 45 Meridian. I don't auger tough grain as a rule but my usual loadout is the 10x45 and it is absolutely matched beautifully. I can idle back and keep peas and lentils full. Durum I run wide open. It has been the best motor I have had so far and on my 8 x 45 Meridian, I replaced the 24 HP Onan with this one. Why? I like the idea of having all motors the same. The Onan was a great engine and used it for many many years without issue. Only had to replace fuel pump on it but eventually it wore out and it is not made anymore so couldn't replace with a like one.

In the winter, I have the exhaust heat shield to keep the carb from icing up and I don't have issues. If I forget to put the "snorkel" back on, it is an issue! I only buy Premium Fuel on the farm and we only have one old 3 ton (screenings truck) that uses it. Never have a fuel problem, although one time when it was 40 below, I did have to add some methyl hydrate and it cleared up the lack of power experienced due to cold temperature. That was on the 10 x 50 and I was augering fertilizer (46) with it at that time! And no, it was not augering full. I was at almost full height augering on that bin.

Plans are still to put a Wisconsin air cooled swather engine on it. I have it ready to go but have not finished the project. I will use an electric clutch I got from a neighbor off a wrecked 1482 combine and go from there.

#41 ·
With all the problems with gas, carbs, EFI systems, very short life span, etc. I wonder why all the great little diesel engines haven't caught on more. Cost? Short term. A 37 HP Kohler I think at UFA was $3,800ish recently. I was shocked. I bought a Mitsubishi S4L2 4 cyl 1.8 l that puts out 39 hp at 3,000 rpm for just over $7.000 including the gauge and control panel with Murphy shutdowns.That is close to double cost but it will wear out several augers. Not the other way around. Some other brands to look at would be Kubota 1505 4 cyl 1.5 l 35 hp at 3,000. If that is a little maxed out on power go up to a 2403 which is 4 cyl 2.4 l and 49 hp at 2700. It weighs 487 lbs compared to the 1505 at 243.

Isuzu also builds a great engine like a 4LE2 2.2 l 4 cyl and is up over 50 hp at 2500. I have just spent several days at RB and have seen hundreds of these little diesels on gensets, light towers, reefer vans etc. and think for $3-5,000 (the price of the gas engine) you could have a pretty solid engine with a lot of life left. Considering the high hour units are in the 20-30,000 hr range, one with 5,000 hours should be decent. Or just buy a new one! I know a few guys on this forum like their Kubota's!
a

#39 ·
We have a 10 x 51 with atleast a 10 year old 40 hp kohler on it. I would not want a smaller engine. The carb on the kohler does not respond very quick when under light load and the motor will die sometimes. It is fine with a full load but I wish it had another 5 hp sometimes when it is fully loaded. For these bigger augers a diesel might be the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.