The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got original 4.5in gauge wheels and a little bit of mud and they are hating it. Not seriously sticky conditions, clay loam soils mostly. Having to go by the rule wait til mud won't stick to boots then give it another 2-3 days.

Anyone have any experience with the boss gauge wheels? Gonna get a set of mudsmith or these. Like the idea of the boss wheels with the steel rings but heard they have their issues. See manutec make something similar also.

I'm on 15in spacing so reckon I can stick with 4.5in wheel, heard the extra width helps with keeping the disc moving in muddy conditions.

Also can anyone suggest a decent scraper? Have some fairly light ones on it, think they are from usa, unsure of manufacturer, most of them have busted off. Will I even need them with a spoked gauge wheel?

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I run the Excel single disc it's similar to the JD units my gauge wheels are spoked with the steel ring scraper it also runs another flat blade type that runs off the gauge wheel mounting arm. I found them great in wet conditions the spoked wheel clears the mud very well. I am pretty sure you can down load a parts manual off there web site maybe some of there stuff may fit the JD, I have been really happy with the quality of their stuff, hope that helps ;) mind you the Boss gear is brilliant very good quality gear one day when I save enough I will get one of their single disc opener planters great in the wet and in the dry my neighbours have one they just love it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Aussie, got a few paddocks left, maybe I'll try a few of each, will look into excel as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts