The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what Australian built chaser bin operators in Australia are running with and why. We are currently looking at the Finch, Dunstan & Ahrens.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
We have a chase mee buy Middle East engineering in WA. Was bought in a mad rush when 2010 harvest got wet. They had one available and it was the cheapest we could find. It is a very well built chaser bin and more than happy with it. Very well built, designed and finished bin. Its on earth moving tyres and if I was to buy again would buy a chase mee on there floatations tyre option.

Madsnake

·
Registered
549 Posts
Morgan Enginnering from Millmerran, Qld seem to have the best value for money bins. Plenty around on the Darling Downs.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,748 Posts
Running Dustan and Finch. Reasons being simple reliable drives, fast unload, sturdy simple bins with reliability and Good back up from factory's. Dunstans and Finch hold much value second hand. Oztec are leading the industry in technology, would like one or two but can't justify price. Unfortunately most popular bins are very expensive.

Our large wheat grower clients up Moree way all run dunstan and finch. Same reasons as above.

·
Registered
253 Posts
We have a 12 ton Finch good gear. Saved our hides in the wet harvest a few years back.
We put a roll tarp on wouldn't be without that either.
Also have a camera on the auger to see into the trucks, helps but not so good in the dark needs a light up there as well.
Only gripe is it doesn't hold two header box fulls remember in a good crop the header will get a few bags extra while unloading. No law about header having to be full every empty keeps the drivers thinking planning ahead a bit.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Morgan Enginnering from Millmerran, Qld seem to have the best value for money bins. Plenty around on the Darling Downs.
Have to agree with Pete the best bin I know of and at the right price.
Best to order early they can get a bit booked up.

·
Registered
704 Posts
We run a 22t finch it was one of the first of their new style about 6yrs old now it's a good reliable bin never had any real dramas with it. It's about the 4th one I have had in the last 18yrs cleans out well and tows well behind any tractor above 130hp. On the other hand our 30t Oztec tramliner with its steerable back axle is the best bin I have owned it's built heavy unloads quick tows very well behind our JD 8330 but it doesn't clean out as well as the finch all the same it's a great bin. Went away from single axle bins a very long time ago they transfer to much weight onto the drawbar of the tractor making them to rough in the field.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Running a 38 tonne Finch and we have had a great run out of it, fast unloading and built well. In my opinion Finch, dunstan and Oztec are the pick.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are alot of the csw (COOLAMON STEELWORKS) ones around here and have heard nothing but positive about them. We dont personally have one yet but thats what we are going to buy. HAve cousins that have 2 30T crop haulers and they like how strong and realiable they are. Can get them with a 20" delivery and that puts 10-12 tonnes a minute out so they are pretty quick http://http://www.cswag.com.au/30-tonne-crop-hauler.php

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi All,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my biggest fear in going to a new branded bin that has not been in the industry more than 15 years other than the Finch, Dunstan or Oztec is back up support when the bin is down. I tore off a axle on a 28T walking beam Finch owned by our next door neighbour in a season that gave us a wet harvest but the bin was down and out for 3 days. Finch Engineer drove down realised that the axles where under rated, organised for their low loader to pick the bin up and take it back to the factory and a day later the bin was back up and running and hasn't stopped since. I guess people don't mind paying the extra coin when buying a Finch, Dunstan or Oztec when they know that backup service comes with the brand.

Aussie.ltd - what would you say the life expectancy is for your Finch & Oztec are?

Aussie.ltd & Doctor650 - What would be your annual cost on R&M to the finch & oztec?

We are looking a getting a bin in the 20 to 25T range with the following features to accommodate a MY12 Lexion 750TT and MY14 Lexion 760TT with 40ft fronts:

• 120" Wheel Centres
  • Rowcrop 480-650mm or Floatation 520-650mm tyres
  • 20" Unload Auger
  • Camera Observation System - Reverse, Unload & Inside Bin
  • Dual Axle
  • Inboard hungry boards to prevent spillage
  • High left side
  • Oversize Signage & Signal Lamps
  • LED Work lights

·
Registered
788 Posts
We are looking a getting a bin in the 20 to 25T range with the following features to accommodate a MY12 Lexion 750TT and MY14 Lexion 760TT with 40ft fronts:

• 120" Wheel Centres
  • Rowcrop 480-650mm or Floatation 520-650mm tyres
  • 20" Unload Auger
  • Camera Observation System - Reverse, Unload & Inside Bin
  • Dual Axle
  • Inboard hungry boards to prevent spillage
  • High left side
  • Oversize Signage & Signal Lamps
  • LED Work lights
[/QUOTE]

Your chaser driver had better eat well in the morning cause he isnt going to have time during harvesting trying too keep it away from two headers of that capacity. That will only work on VERY short hauls and he will still have his ring out except in very poor crops.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I could not resist commenting on new chaser bins. My bin was built by Holtfretters, it was new to us in 1983, I remember it arriving on the farm when I was 12. Very few people had one in those days and it was the fith one they made. I inherited it when I went farming by myself. Incredibly slow unload; when the auger finally cracked up I got Hobbs engineering in Kellerberrin to make me a new auger and a short force auger (it was just a gravity bin) and that was fantastic; it went from 14min to empty a 14t bin to 3.5min. Two years ago I put high sides on it and a tilt panel on the harvester side but now the axel is overloaded, I think I will go to a tandem . I might even put a suspension; perhaps both airbags and springs, probably cost another ten so at the end of the day I have a bin thirty years old still going strong with less than $20k invested. I suspect it will always be on the farm but it is pretty much everything you have asked for but not $70k. It kept up with my 9750 and a 480r in 3.5t wheat crops. It has been a sound bin.

But I don't think it helps you:)

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Coolamon don't offer water & fire fight unit? Not in Camels specs either...getting common in WA.

Ant

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
We run a 30t finch here and can't fault it. We did have one problem where the 3/4" "bone" (that's what finch called it) where the bottom half of the auger flighting connects to the top half, it bent and sheared, rang finch and they had an upgrade to 1" air freighted overnight..but yeah apart from what ever a couple tubes of grease cost you through harvest and make sure the chain is tensioned, not much maintenance is needed

·
Registered
704 Posts
We have had the 22t finch we have now for about 6 yrs now, probably put about 10k tons through it a year plus we use it to fill the air seeder when we are fertilising, in that time all we have done to it is replace all the table auger bearings twice, and we broke an axle once (new driver turning way to short loaded). The older style bins use to start wearing through the floor at the front of the trough at about 50k tons still plenty of meat on this one thou.
Our Oztec, it will last for ever, have not had to spend a dime on it so far, looking over it the other day prior to harvest no issues showing up yet, just grease and go!
We have the two bins to keep up to our Lexion 750 in sorghum 4th/ha plus type crops and they are busy, last year when I had a mate giving me a hand in some 6t/ha sorghum we had 2xfinch bins a 22 & 38t & my 30t Oztec a Lexion 750tt and a 9870 Johnny, the only time the bins stopped is when they were fueling up or we ran out of room. As far as deciding which one to buy if I was going to replace them well I think it would depend on the deal on the day (you would be able to spec the finch upto the same as the Oztec ie Bpw steerable axles and a tramline platform.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Your chaser driver had better eat well in the morning cause he isnt going to have time during harvesting trying too keep it away from two headers of that capacity. That will only work on VERY short hauls and he will still have his ring out except in very poor crops.
That'd be my concern as well:- I'd be looking for something bigger than 20-25T

1 - 20 of 65 Posts