The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another 2 maybe 2.5 days here.

Barley exceptional compass planet, compass by a half head but if a finishing rain occurred planet by a body lengt.

Wheat no brainer sceptre is king.

Now the tricky one the ole stingray did as good as anything but but we only averaged 540 kms frosted new dangled hybrids no better.
Bonito a fraction less but way less pod splitting.

Sure many have better prices than I but feed barley has topped out at 260 on farm for harvest delivery started at 240
Wheat $315 on farm but stated at $285 and constantly moved up.

Some days diff between ASW Apw H2 is about $1.50 not protein bonus this year.

For Canadian guys reading this those are on farm prices only a few heck offs to one off as you call it.

Think you guys would drool at $315 on farm not sur3 what’s that in bushel price but hey who wants a Australia wide drought not me

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks for update. Could you be clearer on you $1.50 not protein bonus - ie ranges of protein, spread, etc? Also, you do not mention the prices on your canola. I think if am looking at conversions right that your wheat prices would seem at least $35/mt higher than even highest grade prices in my freight area of Canada. However, barley prices not so much different.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
The 43 degree day belted half the grass in sth vic, alot of hay cut down here, hay price still firm to rising.

Grain seems slow but feb onwards id expect that to change.

Start harvest here next week rain dependent. Wheat will be nth of 10 t/ha.

Ant...

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
By june next year without rain id say 80% of the nations cattle and sheep will be supplement fed.

The real pain of water could be like nothing weve seen before.

Some people i know in st.arnaud are storing just about everything as feed is going to be king. And theres dry predicted for these areas.

Australia could be entering a transition phase.

Ant...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By june next year without rain id say 80% of the nations cattle and sheep will be supplement fed.

The real pain of water could be like nothing weve seen before.

Some people i know in st.arnaud are storing just about everything as feed is going to be king. And theres dry predicted for these areas.

Australia could be entering a transition phase.

Ant...
I know a few feedlots that have bought 100% of needs now rather monthly over the year more a supply worry than price. Grain can be imported cheaper than domestic on east coast at moment. Our local silo my truck says been quite all year tailembend eithe grains not around stored on farm or sold elsewere

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
On farm storage has sky rocketed.

See how long the govt support keeps up ten years in?

Ant...

·
Registered
169 Posts
There are a lot of mixed signals out there at the moment but I would agree with STO that some of the end users are securing supply now so they can move forward with confidence.
Stopped harvest today because of the extreme conditions and the weather pattern of late just looks to be more dry.
Storing feed barley as I think it has the most upside and bailing all the straw, some of it has a home and some on a punt that it might be useful later on.

We are lucky that we have something to harvest and in tight years like this you cannot afford to waste things like straw, even if I don't make a lot out of it, it might be able to help somebody else and make a difference.
The next 3-4 months are going to critical in determining where the pricing and feed markets go.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some reckon except for lower se in SA and western vic hay is gonna be exhausted by April.
I baled nearly 1000 bales of barley straw rarely do that mostly if I lock sheep in feedlot which hasn’t happened yet

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Straw has been selling really well. And half decent moneybas well. If the dry eats into sth west and gippy then it will be baled gold.

Ant...

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Fair to say management of risk in oz is poor.

Fure suppression on assets is a very wise investment.

Ant....
?

Getting the news up here on the fires, 14 km ceiling smoke clouds creating there own weather including lighting, just what you need.
Countries been alight for over a month now, closer to 2.

Back burning in nsw and qld non existent.
Record drought, so yep **** burns when dry, some are amazed at the coincidence!
Houses built in amongst trees everywhere.
No mandatory fire suppression systems on such houses.
Villages buried in trees, no fire suppression or vegetation exckusion zones due to greens.
Fires burn here most summers, contatry to belief not climate change dependent.
18000 less volunteers in cfa.
Dramatic increase in deliberately lit and accidents causing ignition.

Fair to say the risk mitigation in this country is not matching the environment.

I dont know of any farmers with fire suppression on assets...none...

Ant...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am just so over the comments by the misinformed urban majority that we can put all the fire issues down to climate change and if we switch off the lights and stop using plastic bags then the problem will be solved and there wont be an issue. Listing to the ABC talk shows, it is quite scary just how misinformed some of these people are. ( I have now stopped listening, mainly to preserve my sanity)

While it has been a bit hotter and drier than average, the real issue is urban encroachment into forested areas and decades of poor management of state forests and parks by successive governments and now the conditions have occurred where we have the perfect storm scenario and we are paying the price.

Our local brigade now needs burn plans, traffic management, shire approval, indigenes approval, any other road management authority approval and then to try to predict what the weather might be in a months time to get all this done. It is just too hard and cumbersome to be practical. last year we waited four months just for a burn plan.

So as a result of this there are no burnt breaks anywhere and we are sitting ducks for a fire to travel hundreds of Km and end up in the sea. 20 -30 years ago the brigade and landowners burnt and cultivated vast distances of fire breaks and many a time they were essential in stopping bad fires.

Unfortunately the issue of the fires has been hijacked to some extent by climate activists and even the government's ( easy to blame the climate rather than admit mismanagement) and the real reasons why what is happening may not be properly addressed.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Im surprised the abc has time for the fires as trump bashing is there main job.

Now lets listen to a report filed by CNN, world news CNN....

Its usefulness is fast diminishing.

The problem is humans, but its easier to blame other humans. Like Melbourne isnt responsible for the enviroment...no pollution or consumption in good old Melbourne, its all the cows fault...its trumps or scomo faults...not my own personal habits.

Thats the world we live in...enjoy the show.

Ant...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts