The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,722 Posts
ABC news late last night on the TV actually mentioned the drought briefly and the whole crop reduction thing.
A couple of comments from cockies at Orange NSW. What............? Think there’s mainly cows there.......... how bout get out on the north west plains and have a chat with someone.

Some expert says WA will only have just an average harvest this they won’t be sharing their grain with the East Coast this time.........

Thumbs up ABC for trying.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tad frosty in many parts this morning including me.

Have barley just poking out whiskers dont think it was cold enough for long enouigh this morning

·
Registered
79 Posts
some canola and cereals being cut for hay now if there is enough bulk there. Even the earlier sown wheat with better root development now has large brown half dead areas

·
Registered
771 Posts
Tad frosty in many parts this morning including me.

Have barley just poking out whiskers dont think it was cold enough for long enouigh this morning

Quite a few areas of WA got frosted last week. Even where we are on the South coast the ones that went in real early have been caned. One guy is advertising a potential 3.5t/ha barley crop to be cut for hay. I have a near neighbour with an early sown wheat crop that has been smoked. Its all the early sown crops with big yield potential that have been stuffed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I was in WA last week and at Esperance the day before the frost hit. Our group was surprised how dry WA is with only a small area that we saw was wet.
I'm lucky to be in a small area that is still OK. Light frosts the last 2 nights with crops flowering. Time will tell .

·
Registered
141 Posts
I feel for you guys down there < we are kinda in the same boat canola week away from swathing and frost is looming ! With every day rain since mid june and cloudy,cool weather our crops are 10 days 2 weeks behind,

·
Registered
671 Posts
Another 2 million tonne shaved of crop estimates.

Market yawns alas were Insignificant Black Sea Russia rule the roost
Russia does seem in the drivers seat now. All those years of sending teams over to "help" them learn to farm in the 90s are coming back to haunt us. No good deed goes unpunished I guess. Also, have a friend at CBOT and he says the speculators have decided it's a bear market and almost nothing is going to move them from that. Long term trends will be down despite short term rallies. What a job this has become, where well fed politicians and hedge fund managers decide our fate every year. Makes me hate this sometimes.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2 comments I live in a frosty area agros push push push earlier sowing. All good as long as you set up for hay. We have some paddocks will not get sown till last week in May. Some guys sowing cereals 10th of April just way to early for sceptre wheat etc.

Hedge funds yeah pisses you off when price of grain moves for reason which have nothing to do with price of grain. Depends on there long and short positions and profit taking. Every Aussie farmer knows there will be another cut in estimates.

Read last night a guy in 700mm zone in nsw has had 78mm thus far fo year that’s the biggest extreme I’ve heard in oz this year.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I dont understand
Our $ down but our grain prices are crashing they say Glencore because black sea grain
We are in New Zealand

·
Registered
771 Posts
I dont understand
Our $ down but our grain prices are crashing they say Glencore because black sea grain
We are in New Zealand

They might change their minds once they realize the full extent of the frost damage. I know we dont rate as far as Ukraine/Russia goes for production but West Australia is the main export state from Oz. And its becoming apparent that a lot of the areas that did get enough rain to grow a good crop have been smoked by Frost. I believe we will be millions of tonnes below what they are predicting. One of the best growers up the road has had 750ha(1875ac) of very good wheat wiped out, wont even be harvested the damage is so severe!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Hmm so do i switch my spring crop to grain or stick with hay? Id like some hay reserves. Had planned barley oats peas vetch.

Ant...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm so do i switch my spring crop to grain or stick with hay? Id like some hay reserves. Had planned barley oats peas vetch.

Ant...
gday mate hows it going.

With all the hay going down in ever increasing amounts maybe grain but im no expert

1 - 20 of 103 Posts