The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Not the Australian crop, but silage corn in Germany/Austria looks a bit thin. Cool video though. ( I think its Germany). Thomas does some pretty cool DIY stuff. But oh that Maize!

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
A fellow from SA, north of Adelaide was on a Nuffield scholarship on Open Source Agriculture and riding around while we were silaging most of our wheat and mentioned our forecast was the same as theirs last week. But as it turned out they are in the same boat and silaging a lot of their stuff as well. Especially Lupins got hard hit.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
im good Peter, on european vacation at moment, in salzburg austria, bloody nice spot, no drought, silage and corn look ok!

Its a tough one with the bird roo damage factor in my area, it should be a no brainer for grain, see how i feel when i get home next week.

I should be able to plant oct 1st and have full moisture profile.

Ant...

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Sometimes travelling 2000km a week to a mine pays off!!!!

Its been a good holiday, im buggered thou, looking forward to home to rest up a few days and then do the mad spring rush where 6 months work must be done in 2 months!!

Ant...

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
You can have some of the high 30s low 40s I’ve been having if you like. If I could get to my boat I think I’d just go fishing

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
yeah toss of the coint whats worst sub zero at night during flowering or plus 30 with wind during flowering just a bummer weve got both this week

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The last two years we've been on the receiving end of Mother Nature and a large strap-on and it's beginning to hurt!
Anal probes at your local doctor are pure heaven compared to farming hey lynas

We basically had 3 to 5 hours last night depending on elevation of below zero and lowest was a tad under minus 2

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Do we start taking bets on a summer flood in nthn nsw??

Looks ripe to me? Cruel i know but i remember being in walgett with eater far as the eye could see.

Even Portland is down on annual rainfall, we will struggle to crack 800mm at this rate.

Ant...

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
We basically had 3 to 5 hours last night depending on elevation of below zero and lowest was a tad under minus 2
Nail biting stuff, STO.

Do we start taking bets on a summer flood in nthn nsw??

Looks ripe to me? Cruel i know but i remember being in walgett with eater far as the eye could see.

Even Portland is down on annual rainfall, we will struggle to crack 800mm at this rate.

Ant...
For Nth NSW and Sth QLD it will be dry until the end of the year, then a very wet start to next year. A tremendous season will follow after that, with record yields.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Lets hope so Lynas, i feel for everyone up there, i couldnt do it....its a helpless situation until the water comes.

After driving around europe for a month and not seeing one bit if brown grass, it sh*ts me about subsidies and free market crap, they all got new kit, all carry on about climate yet purchase new iron like mad then cart all the grass to the cattle locked in a barn.???

There is no such thing as a free market on planet earth, this much i do know.

Ant...

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Lets hope so Lynas, i feel for everyone up there, i couldnt do it....its a helpless situation until the water comes.

After driving around europe for a month and not seeing one bit if brown grass, it sh*ts me about subsidies and free market crap, they all got new kit, all carry on about climate yet purchase new iron like mad then cart all the grass to the cattle locked in a barn.???

There is no such thing as a free market on planet earth, this much i do know.

Ant...
Yeah! It's unreal over there. The subsidy distortion is incredible! You have a farmer with 20 acres of barley, 35 sheep and a Fendt Vario 360 tractor.
The sums just don't add up. The taxpayer carries the farmer.
Without subsidies every farm in Europe/Britain would be losing money hand over fist. Their real costs far outweigh their real income.

...and as X80 said, Australian farmers are competing with that, with no subsidies, in the driest, most extreme, most erratic farming climate in the world, in a so called free/open market! What a joke! There is no such thing as a free market.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Dumb question and posssibly touchy for those involved, but the areas that had shocking cattle deaths in qld earlier in year whats been the outcome? Good year oodles of feed but no cattle and or finance to buy any in?

Was in switzerland in 2010 went to a dairy farm 70 acres 35 for grazing 35 for hay from memory basically a absolute millionaire a few times over i would suggest. One subsidy that got me was if price of feed/grain gets to expensive he gets help from govt, if farmers selling grain/feed get to cheap they get govt help. Never ending cycle i guess

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dumb question and posssibly touchy for those involved, but the areas that had shocking cattle deaths in qld earlier in year whats been the outcome? Good year oodles of feed but no cattle and or finance to buy any in
Nah it's still mostly ****, never any follow up rains to wash the mud off and then plagues of grasshoppers went through what did get growing. Channel country is going pretty good now though from what I've heard.
Lack of suitable cows to go that far north was never going to be much of a season for them after losing that many out of their breeding stock

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just got back from 7 weeks in Canada. It was dry before I left.
This is as bad as I've seen it, with some pretty destructive bushfires around too.
Not having a winter crop is unheard of around here. We have missed two in a row now.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts