The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in my neck of woods, lupins way above average best eve, beans first time grower 2.5 t, wheat above average , barley average canola average just.

Anyway have wheat to go out via container trade. Put off put off next month next month, now packers tells late March at best was dec jan delivery.

No containers and or to expensive, I did realize buyers actually bid for boxes. Any spare going to China empty or Brazil. It’s a real issue at moment.

Working on plan b or worst case scenario. Even domestic market quiet as a coffin.

Would imagine same in NSW and Vic.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My contact in the container trade tells me that China have directed that all chinese owned or controlled containers go back to China full or empty. This makes it hard if you looking for a container to go anywhere else,eg Europe.
So this has created the shortage. I am not sure how big a percentage of the container market they would control but even if it was 20-30% it would have a huge impact. I think it would be greater than that.

The other issue is rapidly rising port charges at Melbourne. Booking fees and the like have risen to increadable levels since it has been sold. It all just adds to the cost structure and makes us more uncompetive in the world market.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Canada has experienced the same issue with container movement. Shippers are making more money bringing containers back from Canada empty as the time to fill with grain is less profitable for them. Time is money right now in shipping.
Eventually this will change back to more 'normal'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts