The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new John Deere R4038 sprayer with the John Deere Auto boom and was wondering if anyone has preference over which brand of auto boom to run as deeres setup seems fairly delayed over hilly terrain. I've heard of a few guys switching to Noracs auto boom system just wondering what the difference is.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Bought a new John Deere R4038 sprayer with the John Deere Auto boom and was wondering if anyone has preference over which brand of auto boom to run as deeres setup seems fairly delayed over hilly terrain. I've heard of a few guys switching to Noracs auto boom system just wondering what the difference is.
Have you set it up correctly? Know nothing about Deere's setup but I use Hemisphere auto boom with an S3 and AC110. Left lots of unsprayed untill I realized I had to set the coverage at 100% and look ahead at about 2 seconds.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you are talking about the auto height make sure you turn the speed all the way up on the setting page and they are not perfect on any brand if you are running 10mph in hills and run up on something it is only as fast as the hydraulics auto height was designed for flatter ground but it does help some in hills you just have to slow down or do it by hand

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm running the Raven auto boom, seems to do a pretty good job on hills. But if I run into something severe like a ditch on an angle I have to slow down to let the auto boom react fast enough.

·
Registered
237 Posts
With the new boom suspension, Deere's Boomtrac should work just as well as any other system. Im not sure if NORAC and Raven have ISO boom height controls for the new R series sprayers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I running Norac on 4940. Works great. I've had the JD system and it's much slower in response and speed to lift the booms. I'll try a JD on a demo to compare but I'm pretty sure my next one will be a Norac again. On rolling ground I might slow to 16-17 and never touch the ground.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I had fits with Norac on our 4430. Finally took it off. I'd stick with Deere simply for the fact that when something goes wrong no one can point fingers at someone else.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I believe raven is unsurpassed in the auto height control. In hills you also need the little boom wheels, and disable the inner sensors so that it reads height only from the tips and does not "average" your height. With the boom wheels you can also change the height mode from ultrasonic to pressure based quite easily and senses the load on your boom tilt cylinders and follows the terrain very efectively.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts