The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone installed an AutoTrac controller/universal 200 on an older John Deere tractor/combine? How well does it work and how compatible is it with implements? I might get one more StarFire 3000 or iTC and thinking to step it up all the way to AutoSteer. I would get a GreenStar 2 1800 monitor for it. What accuracy should i expect in real life? What and how should i combine receivers and controllers the best? Pretty adamant as far as display goes. Also, can it be installed on older models, not computer controlled? Like 50 series John Deere? Do i need to add steering sensors?

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
Brother in law runs Deere steering wheel motor thingy on his 95E challenger. Don't know what monitor he uses. Never heard him complain. I know if you go with SF1 or SF2 it will make a difference in GPS drift through out the day. SF1 seemed no better than WAAS to me. May get a few feet drift as you go through the day. SF2 seemed fairly par with rangepoint, not much noticeable drift in my crops. This doesn't matter what the system is on the machine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We recently put a JD 2630 with ATU in our 8870, it works great very easy to use and we had JD instal it but I could have done it myself, seeding at 5mph it guides me within an inch, With an older machine you don't get the full use of your 2630 cause it has a lot of fancy stuff on it that is made for Greenstar ready machines, if I did it again I'd personally go with a Raven Epro cause they see cheap and simpler

·
Registered
963 Posts
Has anyone installed an AutoTrac controller/universal 200 on an older John Deere tractor/combine? How well does it work and how compatible is it with implements? I might get one more StarFire 3000 or iTC and thinking to step it up all the way to AutoSteer. I would get a GreenStar 2 1800 monitor for it. What accuracy should i expect in real life? What and how should i combine receivers and controllers the best. Pretty adamant as far as display goes. Also, can it be installed on older models, not computer controlled? Like 50 series John Deere? Do i ned to add steering sensors?
Works pretty good and is simple to operate. It works on older or any models for that matter. You will not need to add any steering sensors, as the steering wheel takes care of that. Accuracy is advertised as 10" or better for SF!, but rarely will it be that wide. Pass to pass usually is around 4" or better in my opinion, long fields 1.5 miles it may be more due to time. Have used it in the past on a 9760 JD combine and a 9280 case tractor that was on an air drill. Currently have one on a older Macdon swather.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I ran an ATU in my New Holland tractor for several years. It's a lot better than no autosteer but not near as good as integrated autosteer. I'm selling my ATU if you're interested as I switched over to integrated autosteer. 731-420-0423

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am thinking to use it ( ATU and GreenStar ) on John Deere 1177H4 combine and one of the 50 series tractors....they are like from the 90's....so i guess not to old but not as new neither....

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I did have a harness a few years ago on my 4440 but just ran the screen. I also had a atu in a CTS2. We did have to reprogram the CTS2 and eventually I replaced the moisture meter after it failed but that is where the 'brains' of the harvester is. Steered fine on RTK at 9.14m or 30ft. My macdon d60 steeres at 12m. A lot of new platforms don't like being on the imperial 40ft. Mine will leave soldiers at 40ft on my m155 but only occasionally . Honeybees seem to be able to go imperial successfully at least my 30ft one did. The 30ft macdon wouldn't do it well.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I used the hub kit from a 4440 deere on my 4620. Deere uses the same steering wheel spline size from the 10 series all the way up to the 8970. JD combines like a 66, 7700, 20 series, Titan 2 all use the same splines also. Biggest thing is the old 20 series tractors uses the outer steering column as the throttle. With a little fabrication skill, a bracket can be made from the dash to the ATU to hold the motor in place. I currently have a demo CNH XCN-2050 (Trimble TMX 2050) in the 4620 with the EZ-Pilot steering. 10 minutes to build a bracket and bolt in place. It is nice having 2014 technology in a 1970`s tractor.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran an ATU in my New Holland tractor for several years. It's a lot better than no autosteer but not near as good as integrated autosteer. I'm selling my ATU if you're interested as I switched over to integrated autosteer. 731-420-0423
Rob, is that Universal 200 unit you are selling and what is included in the kit?
Thanks

·
Registered
594 Posts
I believe it's the ATU 100. Bought it new in 2011. Includes steering wheel/motor unit, wiring harness to plug into Greenstar harness, and resume switch. Give me your email and I can send you pictures

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe it's the ATU 100. Bought it new in 2011. Includes steering wheel/motor unit, wiring harness to plug into Greenstar harness, and resume switch. Give me your email and I can send you pictures
[email protected] is my mail. Please write the asking price too. That one fits 50 series John Deere and do you know what antenna/receiver do I need?

·
Registered
724 Posts
We use an ATU100 and Starfire ITC on our JD 8650 to pull our land roller and it works well. We also move it into our MacDon swather at harvest time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts