The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We didn't have auto steer in our previous combines and found it easy to keep the line straight. How are those of you who install a guidance system justifying spending the money on it? What brand do you recommend for the new 760's? Is it just luxury.....do you put it on both combines? (I feel confident I could run 1 combine straight enough that the GPS driven one wouldn't ever leave misses and would always leave me a perfect line to follow)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some combines draw the dust into the feeder house very well. Others are terrible. I noticed on some of the Lexion videos I've watched that these combines appear to be quite bad that way. Ours do have the dust fan in the feeder house.....does it do much? They have the HP feeder house if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far I think this forum might have saved us some cash. We had already bought the combines and ordered 35' Vario headers. Those headers got changed to 40' after hearing from you folks. We were prepared to buy a tridrive truck which got put on hold, and we bought an auger instead. So thank you all for your comments so far.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I don't know your crops but the Lexion does not run as clean on the feederhouse as a red rotor, even with the hp feederhouse. If you want yield mapping, meaning you are going to have a gps and monitor already, you might as well complete the package with autosteer. IMO, a complete Ag Leader setup for yield and steering on a Lexion is better than the factory steering valve and yield system, at least on our 2011 740. One could leave the factory yield monitor in place for CEBIS to use and the Ag Leader setup would be the one for used for records.

I think you will find the Lexion to perform well in tough conditions, with low grain loss and fuel usage, as well as being built with quality.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know your crops but the Lexion does not run as clean on the feederhouse as a red rotor, even with the hp feederhouse. If you want yield mapping, meaning you are going to have a gps and monitor already, you might as well complete the package with autosteer. IMO, a complete Ag Leader setup for yield and steering on a Lexion is better than the factory steering valve and yield system, at least on our 2011 740. One could leave the factory yield monitor in place for CEBIS to use and the Ag Leader setup would be the one for used for records.

I think you will find the Lexion to perform well in tough conditions, with low grain loss and fuel usage, as well as being built with quality.
At this point we don't want yield mapping. One of our previous combines had it and I shut it off. The steering I would buy if I could see a payback on it although how does an operator stay awake with auto steer, cruise pilot and CEMOS Automatic looking after his job for him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We didn't have auto steer in our previous combines and found it easy to keep the line straight. How are those of you who install a guidance system justifying spending the money on it? What brand do you recommend for the new 760's? Is it just luxury.....do you put it on both combines? (I feel confident I could run 1 combine straight enough that the GPS driven one wouldn't ever leave misses and would always leave me a perfect line to follow)
We have one of the last 575R's built, and it was factory equipped with an AgLeader YM kit feeding an Insight display. Personally, we like the AgLeader vs Quantimeter for Yield Monitoring, but that is beside the point. The crux of the matter was that we wanted AutoSteer to maximize the use of our 35' platform at all times and light levels, and to help our 75 yr old operator. The 500 series steering valves (used for AutoPilot on cornhead) are not compatible with anything, so we found a used complete EZGuide 250/EZSteer/antenna/footswitch for $3K. Replaced AgLeader antenna with AG15, then had to get a jumper cable to feed position data from EZGuide to Insight..

Back to the question - for $3K, we can cut beans all day on a bias to the planter at 4.5 MPH using all but 6" of the knife, dump on the fly without compromising speed or cut width, and still feel human at the end of a long day. Well worth it for us.
If you don't want yield monitoring, but want autosteer, this would be the most economical alternative. Lots of EZ250/500's out there with an EZSteer attached for sale as guys trade into equipment with integrated systems.

As for the feederhouse - the HP feederhouses are a dirty be-atch with the open corners on the top. The fan helps, but in our case we run an air-reel on our platform, so the pile on top is always deep. We carry a broom on the machine for cleaning it off daily/when dropping the head.

Ken

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
The crux of the matter was that we wanted AutoSteer to maximize the use of our 35' platform at all times and light levels, and to help our 75 yr old operator.

Back to the question - for $3K, we can cut beans all day on a bias to the planter at 4.5 MPH using all but 6" of the knife, dump on the fly without compromising speed or cut width, and still feel human at the end of a long day. Well worth it for us.
This is the best kind of payback, even more so in one of those years with a lot of harvesting after dark. And I run a single harvester

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Our fields really don't often allow full 40' swaths, so autosteer doesn't help alot. Point rows, terraces, etc all create reduced efficiency. If you have wide open fields and utilize the full header often after the first pass within an area, I would see the payback much quicker.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im with Don Boles and deetwocat!! we just went threw a **** of a harvest (straight cutting over water in soybeans, oats flat as a pancake with water underneath) and I cant imagine the extra stress there would have been without the auto steer! its one thing to try and account for overlap its quite another to run 16 hours for weeks on end and no feel like a total zombie after!! IMO Im sure it made life easier on my family as well :) lol. I think you will never be disappointed if you buy it, but if you get one machine with and one without you may.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have one of the last 575R's built, and it was factory equipped with an AgLeader YM kit feeding an Insight display. Personally, we like the AgLeader vs Quantimeter for Yield Monitoring, but that is beside the point. The crux of the matter was that we wanted AutoSteer to maximize the use of our 35' platform at all times and light levels, and to help our 75 yr old operator. The 500 series steering valves (used for AutoPilot on cornhead) are not compatible with anything, so we found a used complete EZGuide 250/EZSteer/antenna/footswitch for $3K. Replaced AgLeader antenna with AG15, then had to get a jumper cable to feed position data from EZGuide to Insight..

If you don't want yield monitoring, but want autosteer, this would be the most economical alternative. Lots of EZ250/500's out there with an EZSteer attached for sale as guys trade into equipment with integrated systems.

As for the feederhouse - the HP feederhouses are a dirty be-atch with the open corners on the top. The fan helps, but in our case we run an air-reel on our platform, so the pile on top is always deep. We carry a broom on the machine for cleaning it off daily/when dropping the head.

Ken

I did some searching and found I can get a brand new Trimble EZ Guide 250 with EZSteer 500 and an updated Ag 15 antenna for $4350. This is a much more reasonable price than what I was expecting to have to pay. I also see there would be a fairly significant up charge to go to an EZ Pilot. Is the EZ pilot any more accurate?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I did some searching and found I can get a brand new Trimble EZ Guide 250 with EZSteer 500 and an updated Ag 15 antenna for $4350. This is a much more reasonable price than what I was expecting to have to pay. I also see there would be a fairly significant up charge to go to an EZ Pilot. Is the EZ pilot any more accurate?
It will be as accurate as the signal you are using. I have EZ-Steer's in my swathers and am feeding them with RTK, they are often under an inch offline and that line will be accurate to within an inch. The EZ-Steer needs to be calibrated properly but so does any other system, I have found the sweet spot for mine.:)

If you are wanting to do yield-mapping at all or trial work it will NOT be accurate unless you can maintain an accurate swath width, reliable autosteer is the only way to achieve that.;)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I also think that GPS is the way to go.
With costs of more than 400-500 € per hour you shouln't waste a single percent of your possible Performance.

Auto steer is a very easy way to push your Performance. No human can run the Combine so exact at any time, for the whole season.

We have all our combines equipped with Lexion-Laser pilots or JD-Starfire.
Maybe the Laser system is already included? It's not as good as GPS System, but atleast you dont have to pay a yearly licence fee.

You in NA got the luck that you have several Providers for Auto steering Equipment. We are limited to eighter the pre installed or JD-Starfire.

I would recommand to use only one System at your farm. E.g we share the starfire recievers over several machines.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Funny thing is I have autosteer on my 12 year old 9750sts. Get a steering wheel so you can use it over multiple platforms. I could not order a new machine without one. The price is minuscule in the value of a combine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Funny thing is I have autosteer on my 12 year old 9750sts. Get a steering wheel so you can use it over multiple platforms. I could not order a new machine without one. The price is minuscule in the value of a combine.
$10 - $20k per combine might be a drop in the bucket compared to the price of the combines but with that kind of logic you might as well get the auto greasers as well and then what the heck tracks make it ride nicer and even though you hardly need to be in the thing anymore we might as well get the led lighting and pretty soon you've spent another $200k.....but heck maybe after getting her all decked out we might be able to charge people $20/hr to operate the thing instead of having to pay wages.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's another example of where "assisted steering" is of great value.

We had a nasty wind storm come through here in mid-November.

This was my view from the seat for a few days. Thankful for the AutoPilot (feelers on the snouts to keep me on the row), and auto height/auto contour. I had enough other things to monitor without using 75% of my brain space to steer and run the head up and down...

Same sort of deal in dusty soys (peas?) or cereals when the sun is setting and the dust starts to hang. If the steering is being looked after, the operator can 'operate' instead of being focused on driving.

My opinion.
Ken

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.