The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 9760. A friend told me that I really need auto steer with a 635 head. So I checked with the dealer about auto steer. He told me about $10,000. I said "outa the question". My buddy says if you go used you can get into the whole deal for about 4500-5000. Is this true? Can it be adapted to 7720 and 8330 tractors? If I can get into this reliably for less than 5k I would certainly consider it (35 ft head really looks big to me). Can anyone give me some advice?

·
Registered
184 Posts
GO FOR IT. It is so nice to get out of tractor, combine, ect. at the end of the day not all beat up. It can be a lot of money but if you get a system that you can move to different outfits, its worth it. My father, who is 71 this year, told mother if he had to farm without GPS he might have to retire!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Finding used gps equipment at a fraction of the cost is just about impossible! I have been to several auctions where gps equipment actually went $100 or more than cost from dealer. Sure, you may find a bargain, but it is far and in between. I am still looking for more gps equipment used to this day and so far, nothing I have seen comes as a bargain or decent priced. Gave up and ordered new from dealer. Another helpful tip is, if you trade up next time on one of your machinery, make sure it is autotrack ready. That aside, once you have gps equipment, you will never want to do without and make every effort to have all your equipment gps capability equipped. Good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It will pay for itself in no time if you move it to your tractors, sprayer,and fertilizer spreader. That 10k cost will disappear in savings of fuel, fertilizer, chemical, and labor time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all of you who responded. I think it would make life on my dad easier (he's 77 and still at it). I just can't afford it right now (full price) so I'm going to keep looking.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Call your dealership, a lot of them take trade in GPS units. I know Colby Implement in Colby KS has quite a few used GPS units, but they usually sell quickly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Never ran a combine with GPS, It's only on the tractors. I like not having it just so I'm focused and I'm doing something.
~TREY~

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
The combine is the best thing you can have it on IMO, you can fully concentrate on opperating the combine and keeping an eye on the header insted of worrying about keeping a straight line

·
Registered
778 Posts
Is that the one with the goofy rubber wheel that goes up against the steering wheel? Man I'll never forget the first time I saw an ad for that- we all thought it was a joke. Everyone's first comment was about pinching your fingers behind it.

Just get the new GPS. I know some guys that bought used for a bit cheaper and then when the screen or receiver failed they had to buy a new one anyway at full price. I just bought a system last week and there was a discount on the full kit plus good financing.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Is that the one with the goofy rubber wheel that goes up against the steering wheel? Man I'll never forget the first time I saw an ad for that- we all thought it was a joke. Everyone's first comment was about pinching your fingers behind it.

Just get the new GPS. I know some guys that bought used for a bit cheaper and then when the screen or receiver failed they had to buy a new one anyway at full price. I just bought a system last week and there was a discount on the full kit plus good financing.

Yup thats the one, maybe not as pretty as a deere, but cheaper and works just as well. Ive never pinched a finger in it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really want it for my dad. I know he's going to have a hard time seeing out there and truly probably shouldn't be in the combine (eye sight and age) but doesn't want to quit. I think this can keep him going to awhile. I just have so damned many bills that another 10k just doesn't sound like much fun.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I installed the integrated Deere system in a 9760 myself at 69 years of age simply by following the instructions that came with it.

I'll be 74 come June and run a 2008 9770 with integrated AutoTrack, just changed over from the original display to the
7" 1800, built the mount myself.

Also have a 3 sensor Headsight kit ordered for the 2010 Deere 630 draper with dual knife drive. I found that after cataract
surgery my depth perception was not good at night.

This will be my fifth year with GPS steering, wouldn't be out
there without it.

Jim

·
Registered
790 Posts
I agree with above posts, just can not farm with out auto steer. Put in 4 days spraying and fertilizing, never overlapped more than 6" and never missed. I am less tired and stressed at thre end of each day. Moved GS 2, ATU, and receiver from 7920 to 9300 in 30 minutes. You will never miss the 10G's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A Trimble EZ-Guide 500 reciever/Lightbar with an Ag Leader EZ-Steer would work well for your application. The whole system can be moved out of the combine and into basically anything. The only thing that you would need is a seperate bracket for each different vehicle you would like to steer.

No need to worry about pinching your fingers on the EZ-Steer, the motor is able to swing away from the wheel with the quick push of a button.

Chad

·
Registered
4 Posts
wouldn't buy anything but deere autosteer since you already have integrated components on your 8330. Move ATU from 7720 to combine and back. Just bought autotrac SF2 for self-propelled sprayer with swath pro and can't believe how better I feel after long day. Will be running Autotrac in 9770 integrated again this year and bought rowsense for corn head last year, that is awesome too. Put new autotrac on FarmPlan no payment for 180 days to get me into next tax year. Just an idea!

·
Registered
2 Posts
for sale: RTK Leica Mojo w/Base station

I have a brand new Leica Mojo RTK system for sale for $10,000 includes base station, great deal paid $16,000 for it last year
  • Repeatable RTK 2cm /sub-inch positioning accuracy
  • Supports existing factory and third-party vendor steering kits
  • Compatible with external screens and monitors
  • High-accuracy NMEA x,y position for use with other ag electronics
  • Easy-to-use AB wayline storage feature for year-to-year repeatability
  • When upgrade is activated use in Dual Frequency
Click here for more info

Let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
$5000-5500cdn will get you an Ez-guide 250 and Ez-steer from trimble......
I'm looking for a system as well. My vote was for trimle, I find a used system of their's on craiglist everyonce in a while but i've seen people ask more then new from the dealer... not sure on their math. I'd think if people pinched thier fingures to oftern or hard they wouldn't be in buisness anymore. Also after awhile you can upgrade away from the rubber wheel if you want. John deere is this best in my opinion but as time goes on im less impressed with them for what you get unless you're buying new.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts