The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Later axial flows used a different auger in the very LH location that had different flighting and rotated in the opposite direction. I believe this change was made so the auger tended to throw the grain to the center of the cleaning shoe instead of tossing it towards the outside. Did this change make a noticeable increase in capacity? Would it be worth the cost of the auger to convert an earlier machine over to the later style? This would be on a short shoe 1660, with a std rotor and Kile AFX kit, so the shoe capacity may tend to be the limiting factor. Doing corn and soybeans only.

Thanks!

·
Ken Adams
1,359 Posts
I have no corn or soybean experience! But in wheat I feel it is a good mod. Helps a bit with loss off very left side of chaffer, especially on side slopes when left side of machine is lower than right.
Changed auger on two machines. Both long shoe, 1st an 1482 when auger drive was all apart and on a 1688, where I was able to do by just removing left bearing on auger, shoe drive.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just changing out the auger doesn't do anything. But when you add the flap to it is when it'll start throwing grain to the center. In some crops and certain machine settings the left and/or right side of sieve can load up heavily. When this happens you can clamp the flap to the corresponding auger to help distribute grain. But unless you put in the reverse flighted auger on LH side, a flap on LH side will not help

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Yes, I have to check as I think I have an extra I would let go cheap. It is a good mod and on mine I have thrown away the paddles and welded my own on and added a 3" extension to the the top part of the front sieve and shortened the pan on the top of my air foil and I believe I have got far more capacity out of my short sieve by making these mods, I originally addressed the situation when I was cutting corn in snow, just befor freeze up the right hand side had a circle shaped spot from right to center that was open and a trail left hand side from front to back. I also have a cross flow fan, with the floor modded under it so the angle is half ways between the short sieve and long sieve location. I also removed 4" of the front of the bottom sieve due to the fact air flow is cut off on its forward stroke. With that left hand auger and my other mods when I am starting the freeze up in the snow now it only freezes up along the sides and the rear when I am in boarder line conditions. I mostly use these combines in wheat but I also get a lot better chaff lift off the top sieve

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies!

When I bought this machine it had the flapper attached to both outside augers. Now that I think about it, I am not sure it makes any sense at all to put a flap on the LH auger if it is turning the wrong way, unless maybe it was positioned exactly right to kick the grain to the center at the correct time.

SW, I already have a new aftermarket auger coming.....should be here in the morning

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Sounds like its something worth doing if you have high volume grain crops then for example corn?

The auger should be the same from an early 1660 short sieve to a 1460 I take it?

The 2 RH augers on ours have the rubber flaps mounted which makes sense because that is where most of the grain ends up and they would push it over to the left but guess they didn't take into account the throw from the far LH auger alone putting the grain against the side wall of the machine. Only time I have had anything go over was improper screen opening or not open quite enough in high moisture corn that had green leaves that got broke up and loaded screens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.