The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious what everyone did for the chaffer and shoe on the axial flow combines. Our loss levels are very acceptable, and very low but I just wonder if there is something more ideal than how we are equipped. We harvest almost no wheat. We harvest soybeans and corn almost exclusively. our top chaffer is the 1-5/8" Closz slat sieve. The bottom (shoe) is 1-1/8" grain slat. The problem I have is with the 1-1/8 grain slat. It seems worthless in corn. In fact, we leave it open, and filter with top chaffers exclusively. The only problem is that we have to close the bottom down in spongy corn that gets some small cob chunks in it (regardless of the concave setting) after a full day or 2 of running. These small bits of cob will eventually plug a portion of the grain slat if it is left too wide open. We can also filter the small cob out with the top chaffer, and leave the bottom shoe open, but we lose some cleaning area because we have to shut the front chaffer down a little so that we don't get corn in the fan. We are losing so little that it might not be worth any hassle, but I just wonder if it would be a lot easier if we had a 1-5/8" closz slat on the bottom shoe instead of the grain slat. It seems like you get more ideal settings for corn with this configuration, but I don't know if it would save any additional corn or soybeans. Also, Would this make the 50-75 acres of wheat the we combine impossible with the 1-5/8" closz slat shoe (bottom)?

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you wish to go to the 1-5/8" closz slat shoe I have a good used one for sale cheap. It came in a 2388 we bought and I put the 1-1/8" in because we do a bunch of wheat.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You might want to try the 1-5/8 corn chaffer rather than the closz finger version. The deeper tooth allows you to run the chaffer settings tighter, maintains capacity and helps keep the cob out of the lower sieve with the 1-1/8 open like you are now. This setup still works good for wheat, soybeans and corn (high moisture/dry). You just can't follow the book for cleaning system settings.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think our john deere conventional had the corn chaffer and a corn shoe, but I am not for sure. It worked great for corn and soybeans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts