The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a conveyor that I could use to fill bins and also load trucks with. For my operation a gas powered one with mover was important as my harvest help has trouble backing up a PTO swing auger so I thought this would make it easy for them, albeit the speed compared to a 13'' auger would be quite a bit slower. I had heard good things about Batco from neighbors, and they are a built locally so I had a positive opinion of them prior to my purchase. I already have a Brandt 1545 that I am quite happy with but there were no Brandts available and I purchased a Batco 1590 back in the spring with 35hp Vangaurd and mover on it. Right from the start I was unhappy with the purchase. Upon picking it up the 4 little mickey mouse steering wheels didn't lift up high enough and even when locked would catch the ground on uneven surfaces. I did manage to get it back to farm without any damage though. First day of using it the gears mounted on the drive motors both broke off about half their teeth while driving it around moving it around the bin yard. They were locked up during transport so it wasn't operator error. Luckily I live about 3 miles from the Batco plant so guys came out and replaced motor gears and said they had a bad batch of gears come through and this wasn't the first one to do this. They never replaced the ring gear on the rim which showed some damage and the mover doesn't drive like it should compared to my other AGI augers.

The mickey mouse mover might be fine for their 45ft augers, but on the 90ft it just doesn't have enough floatation. You can't always move the auger with the majority of the weight on drive wheels. In soft conditions the 4 little steer/castor wheels just plow mud and don't turn. Wider tires would help I think.

Next the manual might as well be used as firestarter or asswipe. Completely inaccurate and non descriptive. There is no visual indicator on the auger like there is on Brandt so you have to get your tape-measure out quite often. Getting belt aligned was very difficult given these poor instructions. Why these companies can't spend half a day with a digital camera/recorder and take some decent pics/videos is beyond me. Loftness has barcodes over their baggers/extractors that you scan with your phone and get a video on related to that area of the machine. Would make life a lot easier if other companies would follow suit.

The folding hopper is a joke. It has to be all the way up or all the way down and you physically have to push it down and get it in just the right position to use the stupid hold down bracket. The hopper in the up position is way to high and unless truck dumping into it is absolutely perfectly positioned the box will end up hitting the hopper when truckbox is raised. We put endgate chutes in to gain a little extra room but it still hits box. Running with hopper in down position makes a mess as it piles up in creases and folds and runs over. And if you want to clean out your corners there will end up being quite a bit on the ground as the hopper is too narrow to accommodate an open door on back of truck. Why so high? Why not 6+" wider? Why not a handcrank to raise/lower?

At around the 3000bu throughput mark I also had a cast part on one of the hydraulic cylinders that raises/lowers the previously mickey mouse steering wheels blow a hole and had to be replaced. 5'' from the hole was the sticker "Made in China". As far as I could tell the whole auger was made in China.

Now we are at harvest and the conveyor should have all the kinks and BS worked out. Nope. Mover drive motors falling off, roll pins falling out of drive wheel motor gears, drive belt not able to handle the recommended load of auger.

I will say the Vangaurd engine has been good in the short time we've used it. As far as the auger goes, there has just been a lot of little things related both to poor build quality and bad parts. All issues have happened in first 50,000bu of throughput. The Brandt has been almost trouble free in >1,500,000bu of throughput. Luckily my dealer is being really good about the unit and taking it back. To me it seems the Batco had a good product back in the day, but has simply been resting on their laurels since they have a large market share and a big cost cutting company in control. I now will go with a Brandt or Reliabelt and hopefully be more satisfied.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks for this post, that is too bad. I always thought of batco as a quality product. I have been considering a similar type conveyor but would like one with comparable capacity to a 13" auger and still be self contained. I'm not sure anyone even sells one that big that isn't pto driven. Anyways I hope you have a better experience with your next one.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
"fast as a 13 inch auger" ? Are you talking pulses or cereal. I know my batco's are extremely SLOW in wheat, good in pulse crops though.
They claim 10,000 bushels hour in grain not quite as fast as a 13 inch auger but close. Brandt claim 11,000 per hour in grain 1315 model. I haven't got one but would like to hear from someone who does.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will be awaiting your review of the auger as well before I pull the trigger on one. Talking with the Reliabelt guys yesterday they said with respect to speed, the limiting factor is the gas engine (max size of 37hp Kohler unless you spend the extra $5-6000 for the diesel). Under bin loading conditions with a pretty decent auger slope one could expect around 8000bph give or take depending on product. Haven't timed the Batco but the truckers were complaining it was slow. Hopefully jdstsman can verify auger speed as well as general impressions after some use.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That unit looks great. The start panel for the engine leaves much to be desired. It can be problematic. If you run into problems with it I can help you to replace it with something that will actually work. You can also get an oil drain valve and hose for the oil drain on the engine oil pan to help make the oil changes much easier. And if its not installed you can get a block heater for it too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was able to get a demo of a 10-20-55 Reliabelt to use on some red lentils. Loaded about 10 B trains. One thing I can say is I've never seen truckers sweat so much running from their air gauges to the cab and dropping the hammer to move hoppers. They were literally huffing and puffing. It was good to see as it looked most of them needed a little exercise. Every one of the them made the same comment: "that's the fastest auger we've seen". I timed it at 9:48min to load a truck and that includes the move between trailers. There is no doubt that grain was pouring out of there.

For the auger itself: it was really fast; almost too fast if you wanted to run it at capacity and you were by yourself (which I am most of the time). It would be easy to overload the truck I think. When running it at full capacity and full speed, it would throw some crop over the intake and would also pour a little bit on the ground out under the belt in 2 locations they call the self cleaning ports. Afterwards the dealer said that should be eliminated if it was ran slower, how much slower I don't know. The mover was ok; doesn't steer near as tight as my Brant 1545 but wasn't too bad to get under a bin. Mover made a bit of a funny noise from the drive wheels when you stopped moving in the direction you were going; maybe it was a oil bypass or something but never really took the time to figure it out. Without much for support I would say the auger was less stable than my Brandt and bounced and flexed quite a bit when moving it around. I'm short and the mover controls seemed too low for me. Had to bend over a bit to use the joystick whereas the Brandt is a nice waist high control height. The drive and tension system seemed simple enough and there wasn't any belt slip under full load. The adjustable spout was a nice feature to get piles centered in the truck. The hopper was nice and big and I noticed it cleaned out perfectly everytime I shut off flow from the bin whereas with my Brandt I have to hand sweep the entire hopper out. The lift cylinders are adjustable in speed so that would be a nice feature if you think its too jumpy or fast/slow. All bearings were greaseless Tempkin bearings and the only grease points were on the mover system so not much for maintenance on the machine. This auger had the 40hp Kohler and I really didn't like it at all. It was finicky to run, wanted to stall out lots, and was the loudest auger engine I've been around; you literally had to wear earplugs when standing at the hopper crank on the bin. When under full load you could definitely hear it working to max. I don't think it would be near enough engine for a longer auger and steep slope.

Overall it is by no means a perfect auger. It was better than my Brandt in many regards and worse in others. What I did like is that I could get a 95ft one with 20" belt with a beaver tail hopper and self contained mover/engine. No other mfg offers that (they only have 15" belts in that length). I ordered one almost identical to jdstsman with the diesel and am currently selling some of my organs to help pay for it because it certainly ain't cheap!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Have a 1545 and 1585 w/swing, have been happy with both. I am looking to replace the 1585 and really like the looks of the Reliabelt 10-20-90. Have you had any trouble with yours like bigtime operator has.
Neighbour got a Reliabelt with swing. I think it was 5 or 6 hydraulic functions and everything was on seperate outlets. He has to swap hoses all the time. Some of the functions are specific to setup though, so should be able to combine them with a valve to select 1 or 2 once you are set up. Other than that, he likes the unit.

Andrew

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.