The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having issues with sulpher nitrogen Phos blends plugging off thier drill?

We started using our 31-11-0-6 Blend, taken home in March, got 100 acres done and plugged up every hose and distribution tower. We also started plugging the seed tubes that only had 50 lbs per acre going thru them. I have to float this **** on now and buy extra starter fert to go with the seed. It took 6 hours to pull all the hoses off and scrape off the sensors and distribution towers. Not fun work when seeding conditions are almost perfect.
Apparently I’m the only one with these problems according to CPS.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a 34-10-0-5 blend that I have been having a terrible time with. Is your phosphorous product the blonde stuff by chance?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s brown and grey stuff.

We’ve been using this Blend for 5 years or more and never had a problem before. Pretty frustrated lost a day of seeding and now going 30% slower hopefully in a couple days we can. Get the bins empty and then Try some fresh stuff.
No support from the fertilizer company. Our retailer has made some calls but had the same thing last year and there was nothing done to help with the issues.
You would think they would be interested in helping out a customer when thier product is not useable. I’m going with biosul or elemental something next year. Apparently ams is a poor product to blend with now so have to move on to a product that works better.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Had it happen in 2016 and 2015.
I was also the only one apparently. It plugged the drill more times than I like to recall. To clean out I would use big volumes of water to flush out the drill. This would clean it up in about a half hour. 2" hose and push it in a manifold and let her rip. Works good.

I documented everything when the drill plugging happened and here is what I came up with.
Any blend that had a higher sulpher load of 10# per acre or more became a problem. Canola blends were the worst. If I stored it for any length of time that made it worse. If I could get it off the truck within a day, it seemed ok.

The tan sulpher from Trail BC seemed the worst.
Durum blends that had 7 # per acre with the tan blend were ok, just the high sulpher canola blends were bad.
Pea blends that had no UREA in them had no issues.

White sulpher from Redwater did not cause issues, with any canola blends.

Not sure if this info helpful, but these were my observations. I ask now before booking where the sulpher is coming from. Don't want to deal with it again.

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
If the humidity is over 50% you are going to have nothing but problems with the amonium sulfate blends. To bad dealers are not willing to put elemental sulfur in the blends.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with everything above. I also think the -20 fert coming out of the bin is condensing water out of the air onto the fert and making everything worse. We had taken our canola blends home as late as we could in the past and this year we agreed to get it in the winter to get a better price. I think the fertilizer dealers need to realize they are selling a product that is flawed by shipping out blends ahead of time and need to be more flexible on our delivery dates.

My extra direct costs from this is around $30k for the floater, extra harrowing and extra Phos to go with the seed. And ya the Phos is a benefit but it’s not in the budget or needed for this crop. I’m not including manpower or lost time in that number either.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Lots of people having similar issue around here as well. I've gone with Tiger 90 in my blend the last 3 years instead of regular sulphur and have not nearly as much trouble with my fertilizer runs gumming up.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I agree with everything above. I also think the -20 fert coming out of the bin is condensing water out of the air onto the fert and making everything worse. We had taken our canola blends home as late as we could in the past and this year we agreed to get it in the winter to get a better price. I think the fertilizer dealers need to realize they are selling a product that is flawed by shipping out blends ahead of time and need to be more flexible on our delivery dates.

My extra direct costs from this is around $30k for the floater, extra harrowing and extra Phos to go with the seed. And ya the Phos is a benefit but it’s not in the budget or needed for this crop. I’m not including manpower or lost time in that number either.
Agree with this. I refused to bin mine till right before seeding. When I priced last November they wanted pricing on only what I could take at that time. I explained the issues and storage issues and they were more flexible.

Fortunately we have lots of retailers in the area so there is lots of competition.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discovering this as well. Am not happy about it. Urea sulphate blend
Are any of you guys using oil coolers on your fan intakes? If you warm that air up BEFORE it comes into contact with fert it will very much reduce the amount of problems. Works in OZ anyway and theres now a manufacturer selling the idea in NA.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes there are lots of those around here too. It probably helps. I’ve been using the same blend for years without anything like this happening and there was a lot of guys having problems last year too. The thing that bothers me the most is that the fertlizer company claims that there is nothing they can do and it’s not thier problem after it leaves thier facility. They are burying thier heads in the sand cause there’s other products out there.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Is it just because the urea and sulfur are mixed together that's causing this? We put urea down with one drill and never have anything like this and I put the sulfur down while seeding in it's own air stream with nothing like this either. We pick it up right from the dealer too so that maybe helps.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Im putting down 20-0-0-24 along with 46-0-0 through my MRB and phos with the seed never had a problem. I use to blend my sulfur and nitrogen and had a real wreck a couple years ago when it wouldn't come out of the bins and had to drill from the top down to get it out now I only store my 46 and phos for the winter and pick up the sulfur as I need it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Is it just because the urea and sulfur are mixed together that's causing this? We put urea down with one drill and never have anything like this and I put the sulfur down while seeding in it's own air stream with nothing like this either. We pick it up right from the dealer too so that maybe helps.
Yes. It is the sulpher combining with the blend (mostly urea i'm guessin). Combine it with the right conditions, usually humidity and it becomes that brown looking paste that Remoth posted a picture of. I had the exact same thing with my drill 2 years running with canola blends.

The fertilizer retailer will say they haven't seen it before, and your the only guy having issues.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still wonder about the phosphorus being partly the problem because the caked up stuck on stuff is all mostly brown particles. Is this happening at all with just 46 and 20-0-0-24?
Or is just when all 3 products are blended

·
Registered
740 Posts
Be careful and make sure you get an analysis on that terrible biosul stuff as there seems to be people who do not think it works - lol. However, it sure is nice not to deal with drill issues in the Spring as Phosphate/potash of any color does not seem to cause problems - unless it has rocks in it that get by your screen. In fact, even if it sends the anti-tillage Nazis take off on a rant my life is so much easier/economical incorporating most fertilizer in late Fall with one of those nasty vertical tillage things and is it ever nice to seed/plant into in the Spring. Fighting with MRBs and many times more fert fills/issues when it great seeding conditions really is frustrating. Year 2 with planter for canola with only the "bad" liquid phos down with very little seed(into land with biosul yr 2 and 3) and did that ever happen in a hurry - I am sure it will be a bad crop.

I do not see it mentioned, but would be curious if people using that s15 stuff in canola blends are having any issues with? I would think not, but may be good to know in future.

·
Premium Member
5,484 Posts
The amonium sulfate is horrible this year. We are being told that the amonium sulfate out of the States that came to Western Canada had high humidity or moisture levels. It seems worse with the phosphorus that is tan rather than like black rocks. We had lots of problems and am glad I am done applying the sulfur blends for this season.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts