I did not have any phosphorus in my blend. Just urea and sulphur. Chunks were breaking off today from somewhere in the line big enough to plug at the bottom of the manifolds... only 145 ac left.... please be gentle...I still wonder about the phosphorus being partly the problem because the caked up stuck on stuff is all mostly brown particles. Is this happening at all with just 46 and 20-0-0-24?
Or is just when all 3 products are blended
Wrong.I think it's just simply high moisture content in the fert that they sold you, moving with augers or sitting still, it's no big deal, but once it gets moving with forced air, it breaks down.
If seeding conditions are dry, there is nothing else it can be, simply moisture.
Water.We are having the same issue, we'll do 60 acres and the towers are plugging and our 10" load auger on our air tank has about 3/4 of inch of the brown stuff caked on the flighting. How do you get it clean?
Remember the problem I had with the retail fertilizer dealer adding Canola oil to the blend? The problem went away when I asked for no oil added. Could it be some retails or manufacture add something they didn’t use before? Retailer told me the manufacturer recommended the oil! drylandfarmer is right I’m sure “it’s the sulphur”Wrong.
Its the sulpher, trust me.
Of course you are the only one Highmarker!! Haven't we all heard that 100 times! I worked for a fertilizer dealer in the early 70s and we used to be able to predict when a rain was coming 2-3 days ahead because the dust from ground up fertilizer on the floor would turn to soaking wet slimy goo all over the floor. I do not remember which bin it was and it was mostly just one type of product. Could have been 21 0 0 24 which would follow the logic that it absorbs moisture from the air, or gets slimy from condensation because it is cold from winter storage. It was weird how the floor of the fertilizer shed would be soaking wet on a warm dry sunny day though. Or was it ammonium nitrate, 34 00 that was good for broadcasting because it dissolved so readily and went into the ground?Anyone else having issues with sulpher nitrogen Phos blends plugging off thier drill?
We started using our 31-11-0-6 Blend, taken home in March, got 100 acres done and plugged up every hose and distribution tower. We also started plugging the seed tubes that only had 50 lbs per acre going thru them. I have to float this **** on now and buy extra starter fert to go with the seed. It took 6 hours to pull all the hoses off and scrape off the sensors and distribution towers. Not fun work when seeding conditions are almost perfect.
Apparently I’m the only one with these problems according to CPS.
For many different reasons and problems encountered over the years I evolved to a system of using NH3 down the point of a 5" Dutch precision paired row opener, phos either with the seed paired row or down the MRB, K and S blend down the MRB away from the seed. The S was usually good but on a wet and damp spring it could cause some caking problems. If there was caking problems it was not with seed, N or P and did not create the huge problems in a whole crop. This system was pretty reliable and saved the floater cost and allowed high rates of all products all at seeding time. I have retired and still have this drill for sale.
Truth, AMS is the worst of the straight products (that’s part of the reason fines are a thing, prills just aren’t as stable), finer product is more reactive as well (surface area). The more complex the blend the more trouble you’ll have with storage as well, 2 product blend is more stable than a 5 product blend. Obviously relative humidity when handling and seeding is a huge factor as well. Dry fert issues make liquid look more appealing all the time...AMS is a biatch. AMS mixed with Urea is a biatch from he##, with a bad attitude.
I hear you.We are having the same issues this year trying to put down 100n 25n 15 sulphur got 480 acres to go. dunno what to do