The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to talk today to a guy near me that runs 2 1660 Combines. Last corn Harvest Both of them were tore up when some guy who were growing weed in his field stuck 6 3" bolts down the leaves on the corn stalk. Needless to say when the combines picked them up they tore them all to heck.

It kinda got me thinking. Does a rotor handle small metal objects better than a conventional?
DM01

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
ive heard of stuff like that... a large 4 inch metal tube drove in the ground between corn rows...i think that happened up north... pretty sad.... i would think it would go threw better than a walker.... weve ran a piece of old JD metal a few years ago... think but very strong and 8 inches wide probably...didn't hurt a thing... soemtimes you get lucky...

F

·
0 Posts
A neighbor picked up on of those 6 foot metal T posts that the oil field guys like to mark culverts with. They had to rent a machine to finish harvest with. Broke the feeder chains which ran into the rotor, and there was a couple of pieces make it into the straw chopper. This was a Deere STS, I know the mechanic that worked on it, and he said it was a disaster. The pretty much replaced everything inside the machine from header to spreader. Luckly this happened on a oil well site, and it was proven that the piece they picked up was from one of the crews that had worked on the site, so they paid.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Feeder slats, star droppers, wheels weights etc.
Had a star dropper chopped into small pieces after it had been through the rotor.
Feeder slat sitting in a mates shed the same shape as the rotor tunnel.
Both articles only took out a few cage vanes.

Oh, the wheel weight only got past the first concave too

·
Registered
81 Posts
we have a big farmer near us that ran a chisel plow shank through an 8010. they replaced the entire combine, dont now what all they tore up but they figured it wasnt worth fixing.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I carry injestion insurance on my combine, chopper and discbine. Picked up a coulter once with the discbine had $7,500 damage all I had to pay was $500 deductable. Its not too bad for price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Picked up an 8' x3/4" steel ground rod while combining soybeans with the 2366. Someone tossed it out in the field. Really did not do any damage till it got to the chopper...tore the heck out of it though.....Tore eight knives off of the drum.....

Was up and running by the next day.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Last year we were running our 1640 and there was an old bat from a reel laying in the field. I saw it on the header before it sucked it through the feederhouse. We got the machine shut down and started taking it apart. The metal bat was wrapped around the rotor. Got a sawzall and started cutting it out. An hour later back at it again and nothing was wrong. Just glad We got the machine shut down before it went any farther.

·
Registered
66 Posts
A 2388 will thrash a shovel right off of a cultivator shank. it only broke one rasp bar, and cost 14 dollars to fix. I heard of the same thing happening to a jd sts and it cost 14,000 in damages. They had to change the rotor and rotor cage. Maybe they couldnt get it shut down as quick as I did

·
Registered
20 Posts
My uncle fed a car tyre into his TR87.... was not a pretty site.

Bent just about everything on the way it and wound up nice and tight in the rotors. Took him days to get it out and a few more to repair the damage. Didn't end up keeping the header, traded it in cause it never ran the right way again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was combining down corn with a 9600 a few years ago and a 1/2"X3' steel rod went in my combine! Luckily, somehow it got bent and logged itself to my feederhouse chain and wouldn't go through the cylinder!!!! THANK GOD! for that. Everything worked just fine but i kept hearing what sounded like the feederhouse chain was broken and smacking the feederhouse everytime it went around, took the head off spun the chain by hand and found it! took it out put the head back on and away i went with no other problems. Talk about having a lucky day!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
ew trewrt wert wert ewr
One of my friends dad just pulled into a field of beans and sucked a car tire through his 550 Massey a couple years ago. They tried and tried to get it out and couldn't. Finally they wrapped a chain through the tire and pulled it out with another tractor. Surprisingly with minimal damage and were running it the next day just fine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Some guys near us picked up a 3' x 16' hog panel with a 9610 JD. They were cutting down wheat and hit it straight on. It made its way through the header up the feeder house to the cylinder where it proceeded to wrap around it. A cutting torch, two water hoses and 8 hours later it was running with out any damage.

My son was opening a new wheat field up with a 1480. Someone threw two rolls of barbwire out that they had rolled up from a fence they had taken out. We sliced off the top of both rolls and ran them through the combine. We had a bunch of wire wrapped around the rotor. It took us about 3 hours to get all the wire dug out off the machine. The jerk on the sickle broke it and we had to find a new. It is amazing what you can find in a field.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The strangest thing we have ever hit with the combine would be a rotary hoe. Dad said i unhooked it there in may cause it fell apart and was always going to go down with the loader and get it but forgot and he hit it with the corn head. He said talk about a dumb feeling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
About 10 years ago, I was working on a farm in Western Australia. A few days before I arrived, the neighbor was running a New Holland at night. He said he was tired and was watching for small tree stumps. He looked up and seen a Emu running straight towards him. He had no time to react and the bird ran straight into the header and was sucked into the machine. He said the machine stopped right away. He drove home and went to bed.

They spent the next day getting the Emu outta the combine, He said it was a messy job. Apparently they found the beak, bent in half. He found a dealer that would take it on trade.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
ew trewrt wert wert ewr
Believe it or not I've had that happen too. It was about 1 am and the emu got dazzled by the lights and went straight into the header. Thankfully though, the dear combine slugged it thru, got down to 1150 engine revs though!!
Ended up spreading the binfull along the bottom of the truck, protein was sky high on that load apparently...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts