The Combine Forum banner

bagging flax? maybe?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SWFarmService 
#1 ·
ain't no way I'm giving away my wheat at this price so the bins are staying full but planting 1000 acres of flax and hoping bagging works as an option, we harvest it around beginning of September and its contracted for December delivery but nervous the bag will just flatten out and if it leaks it might just run out like water, any help appreciated, if I don't get any comments I will assume its a bad idea

#7 ·
Hey, felt inclined to let everyone know that bagging flax went really well but there are a few things to know

Not really sure why but I got about 20% less flax in a bag vs crops like corn/wheat/canola

When you shut down for the day put the tractor in park to make sure the bagger does not roll ahead, and when ya dump the first load in you have to take most of the brake pressure off until it rolls ahead a little ways while loading then crank it back to normal, if we didn't follow this procedure the bag would actually roll sideways on way or the other, until we got it figured out the bags were really messed up

The other strange thing was I had a little trouble with coyotes trying to play on and tear into the bags, thought that was strange, a friend set up some snares and took care of that problem for me

All and all it went pretty well and just wanted to say I really appreciate the advice!

#10 ·
We have been hauling wheat like crazy, I never quite got over my namonia and bronkidus, the weather was killing me, in warm truck, in the cold, continuously so I ducked out in the shop this week, got alot of needed things done with the nice weather

We have been blending old wheat with new, luckily our wheat all had good color so they never did check our falling numbers so far so basically last year's wheat is worth 2.50 more than last year, we are only going to save about 40,000 for a little longer because it is in 17-19 pro range but all of 2014 will be gone hopefully in the next week or two

Got a few more bags of wheat to go, for now going to clean out what's left of the flax while there is room, then get to soys and sunnies witch I will only get one load a day per truck, bought another truck the other day, now I got to find another trailer

#12 ·
Not to steer away the thread too much, but did you have all of your flax under the same fertility program? NiceMustang's program has got a lot of traction it seems and is what i'm going to try (with priaxor as well), but If I remember correctly you seemingly were applying even more N? It is your business so I don't mean to pry, but that is impressive test weight for flax.

#13 ·
No, I don't have any secrets, and the reason for this thread in the first place is really over so why not

I had done the same with everything but a 100 acres I used some snake oil on that actually worked

But anyways I was mostly on pretty top notch dirt for the most part with it, I applied 70?# of N with the seeder, I would have to look at the starter blend but it was similar to what's common for canola here plus some more zink

I came back when the flax was about 5" tall and gave it stinger and clethodym for weed control and priaxor and turned right around and hit it with another 10 gal of 28% and then a bit before flowering I hit it again with 15 gal of 28% then followed with another pass of priaxor, would have liked to have timed my nitrogen apps a little earlier but it was my first time raising flax so it came at a bit of a learning curve but I had good results but I think they could have been a touch better yet.

At the given prices I won't be raising it again for a while because as you can see I poured a boat load of money into it but I had contracts for 10.25 and 10.30 so I had more motivation and we had near perfect weather to boot so I just kept up with it, banker is pleased so far so I guess I am too, LoL

Its alot of work but looks like it is going to be a very nice rotation for my ground, looking forward to spring I am excited to see how stripping it turned out, at least fert prices are looking more appealing by the day

I should add I used spartan charge also, seems I was the only one that chose that rout here, seemed I didn't have any herbicide damage on it that route, some say the more you beet it up the better it does, I may try that but a little nervous yet, did a stress testing on soys this year by accident and I will say I was pretty pleased with the results so it will be in my future planning to see what happens with flax, on a dry fall it may prove valuable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.