The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished harvesting a hocket barley field .part of it was on a field that had peas on it last year. Part of the field was on a pivot . It was all no-till planted same day ...the pivot part where the pease where we're watered . The funny thing is when I was harvesting it you could definitly tell it where it was irrigated with the eye and yield monitor . And the opposite of what I expected . Non irrigated was high 90's low 100's irrigated part was low 80 not loged at all .looked like it was seeded thinner . Was not. Was also about 3 inches shorter.

What caused it ? First thought was chemical basagran and select on peas last year...this year field was sprayed all the same pivot and dry. I do not think this chemical combo could have done it. I do have high ph 8.1 and high calcium. I have seen longer than label residual with other chemistry though....

My main guess is the peas which were only under the pivot last we're worked before planting...and the rest of the field was not worked.and just chem followed last year. So could the pivot ground just been compacted limited root growth and stooling. When I sprayed this could not tell the difference ....
All looked healthy...thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From February to end of July about 8 " which is a lot for for the location. I had a field of winter part under pivot part not . The water stuff probable did 15 to 20 better. When I get a minut I will go dig some holes to tell if compaction was a issue . I did not soil test between the pea and none pea ground . Allways through some fert with the peas . And I did not vary rate this field with fert so got same fert. I did not notice any yellowing or anything . Probable only added 1 and 1/2 " of water through the pivot. This year even though it was wet for us and cool I seen the smallest amount of tan spot that I can ever remember . I allways plant very early .the barley usually gets snowed on at least three times before the snow starts turning to rain .so tan spot issues for me are common.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.