The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove by 250 bushel batch dryer today and seen what looked like two 100 lb propane tanks beside it. Question is how do they use it so liquid comes out? I thought you could only use bigger tanks that draw liquid off the bottom.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i always wanted a batch dryer but would be handy for me to move it to different sites, maybe I could just buy a different size pig like a 400 lb one that is more portable than a great big 500 gallon tank. Also a 400 lb pig I could take into town and fill myself also. I just have to run tank upside down then I guess.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Sounds like a royal PITA to me. The dryer would run on vapor but would be pretty limited on heat and how fast the bottles could vapor off which is very slow in the cold.

I’d make sure the drier has a vaporizer coil and actually feed it liquid out of a proper liquid draw.

Flipping a pig over to fill and back to run the drier isn’t going to be handy and still limited by the valve.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sounds like a royal PITA to me. The dryer would run on vapor but would be pretty limited on heat and how fast the bottles could vapor off which is very slow in the cold.

I’d make sure the drier has a vaporizer coil and actually feed it liquid out of a proper liquid draw.

Flipping a pig over to fill and back to run the drier isn’t going to be handy and still limited by the valve.
X2.

I'd find a 500 or 1000 gal tank. You'll be surprised how often you have to fill it if you're drying much. When we first setup our dryer we rented a tank as there were none around and we were in a corner. It was on a running gear actually.

Can always sell it if your plans change.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Just need the proper valve on the top with a suction tube and then you can pull liquid, though you wouldn't run long on a pig IMO. Adding heat to it would help a lot on a smaller vessel like that.

You can even get liquid plumbing for the 20 and 100 pounders, was lots of liquid fired tiger torches in the patch, but not as common anymore.

https://proline-global.com/product/tiger-torches/

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well maybe I’ll get a 250 gallon tank. I can atleast lift that with a front end loader to move it around with dryer, a 500 gallon I couldn’t lift with propane in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good information I was wondering the same things if I could run with smaller tanks I already have a batch dryer but no propane tank. Was also going to try and blow Heat through the dryer with an indirect diesel heater but have now found a 500 gal tank I’m hoping to get. I’ve heard of guys using these batch dryers on tough grain on nice days just as natural air drying adding no heat works but slow I’m sure.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Well maybe I’ll get a 250 gallon tank. I can atleast lift that with a front end loader to move it around with dryer, a 500 gallon I couldn’t lift with propane in it.
Check with your suppliers, in this part of the world they will no longer fill an actual tank that is not permanently mounted to a large skid or on some other mount like piles ect., even the trailer mounted tanks are now considered un safe and most won't fill them anymore. Crock of BS if you ask me but just how it is. Also, your tank will need to be certified within a certain date for most to fill as well.
We used to have a local agent with Canwest that would fill anything, even bottles right off the truck, when Canwest got bought out by Superior, all that come to an end and many of us were sitting with tanks that now we can't get filled anymore.

·
Registered
156 Posts
even though the coop has be delivering dryer propane for 10 years but when I phoned to order they asked if the tank was still permanent mounted.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The tanks have to be immobile, I just took the wheels off mine and put it on cement blocks, they said not good enough I had to cut the hubs off with a torch.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
even though the coop has be delivering dryer propane for 10 years but when I phoned to order they asked if the tank was still permanent mounted.
The tanks have to be immobile, I just took the wheels off mine and put it on cement blocks, they said not good enough I had to cut the hubs off with a torch.
I have a 1000 gal tank that about 16 years ago I mounted on an old threshing machine frame with big steel wheels and have been using it ever since. Nice and safe way to be able to move it around the yard. And move it away if the dryer ever catches fire. And never have a flat tire and nothing combustible. Makes sense to me anyway. Till this fall on the second fillup. Have to block it up off the wheels. At least they did not make us cut the spindles off! So who is "they" in this case? Is this elected government that has nothing better to do with their time and our money or is it the creeping cancer of the unelected bureaucracy working to kill every last hope of free enterprise being sustainable. Where does this stuff come from??? I thought Kenney was on the right side of this kind of mindless regulation. Short answer is I think he is but that is why I point the finger at the unelected part of the system that does not have to balance their bank account with earned dollars. Even after they have killed the oil business in this part of the world they are still at it trying to kill anything else that moves. How do we secure our freedom to free enterprise???

On the subject of this thread, using 100 lb bottles to run a dryer seems like a waste of time and energy when you look at the whole picture. I suppose you could get enough liquid gas out of a 100 lb bottle turned upside down for a short time until the vapor pressure drops and no longer will supply propane to the burner. What happens when you supply vapor to the vaporizer ring in a dryer? Does it get very hot and burn out quickly??? Putting in a small amount of heat and just running the fan and dryer longer would work but what is the cost of diesel for running the pto that long VS just putting in the propane to make the dryer work like designed. Having said that dryers do cost less to operate running at lower heat settings. Just a ballpark figure for amount of propane used to dry a volume of grain from experience would be in a range of 2-4 bushels dried per liter of propane. The 100 pound bottle you ask about seems to hold about 87 liters of propane. So in the colder weather we are now experiencing, and assuming that bottle can maintain vapor pressure to flow to the dryer, you might be in the range of 150-200 bushels dried. If you hooked several bottles together it would be better for several reasons. If you run out of propane before a batch is dry, and can't continue before you lose all the heat in the dryer, you have to start over heating all that grain. All the time you are burning diesel it is costing on that end. It helps a lot if you can put a tarp over the tractor running the pto and draw that heat into the dryer. There are a lot of variables in this like grain moisture and temp, outside air temp and humidity, dryer efficiency, etc. If you have any amount to dry I would look at buying or renting at least a 500 gallon tank. It takes a lot of propane to dry grain. My dryer would empty a 500 and a 1000 a day drying 400 bu/hr for 16-18 hrs. with wet grain and cold temps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts