The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like all the malt producing areas are having bad luck. In our area anything that didn't sprout froze. Of the malters around here are really nervous. I can see their reason for concern. It's a complete disaster. Beers may cost about five dollars apiece at the grocery store next year. Thank goodness for the record corn crop I'll just switch to whiskey

·
Registered
925 Posts
Don't worry they will buy ANYTHING that resembles barley and crank out the brewskies Malt barley is simply 1 % supply and demand and 99 % BS . Quit trying to grow malt 20 years ago due to the BS and endless excuses .

·
Registered
94 Posts
As nervous as they may be, I doubt they will sell one bottle at a loss, unlike the guys that will have to dump that rejected malt into the feed market!!
When they can get 400 bottles or something like that from a bushel of barley, I think they can afford to up the offers for what us out there!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Its ugly this year. I work for CPS in Eastern Idaho and have seen lots of crappy barley.
Anywhere from 13 to almost 40% sprout. Hopefully whats left to harvest is far enough along that tonights freeze won't hurt it, just ripen it for us.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I know what you guys are saying about lite beer, but unfortunately the full flavor tends to equal full figure for me, gotta take it easy!

But interesting enough, that whole lack of flavor thing makes it actually "fussier" on the ingredients, because any off flavor will come through as something not right in the beer as we know it. That really light flavored stuff has to be just so and very controlled. I'm not defending it, I'm just passing along. Source is History Channel modern marvels, if you want to discredit that, feel free, I don't care.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It costs the production line more for the bottle caps than it does to buy the barley. that's a fact. Barley cost for a case a beer (12) .08 cents. They want it at 13.5 % but the first thing the maltsters do it take it up to 59%

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah 24 bottles, we call them 'stubbies'.
Bud light is new to oz only seen it in last few weeks,must be a 'boutique' beer according to our importers!
Budweiser getting very popular over here we pay $50 for 24 carton

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.