The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this one. After thinking there was something not quite right with our canola for a couple of weeks we are now pretty sure we have this virus over the bulk of our acres.

GPA are now on the wing and in pretty low numbers (2 or 3 per plant). Agro's are saying to spray but not keen to spend anymore money on it?

Its trying to flower but looking worse every day.

Anyone know what sort of yield reduction we might be in for?

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Soil Cash crop Crop Field Agriculture
I have had more exspriance Than I would of liked wit bwyv, are the plant just sick looking or look like there been spray drifted? Transform works great and if I had of known more earlier I would of sprayed before it hit the fan. I had canola that we thought had been spray drifted, it looked great then fell in a hole and dropped leves off only green was stem trying to emerge. These are know flowering and look like I will harvest some thing.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
If you remove the parasitic load the canola may just power away. Even if just a patch out and a buffer were worst effectd. It answered why some of our canola just was not firing. Will get a photo when can of same canola now.

·
Premium Member
2,138 Posts
Don't know if that virus is in the crops I've seen of late, but just too many canola crops around here - don't look good at all. They just haven't grown with hardly any pods set on them. Yes, frost would have some affect, lack of rain - yes, but something else is not right with them.
I feel certain there will be a lot of direct head instead of windrowing this year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't mess around with it Will, my canola was looking like you're describing your crop early in july, i'm on top of the YP. The green peach aphids were present so we sprayed with transform on the 14th of july then topdressed the canola with 70kg of urea and the crops have never looked back. No sign of the GPA or damage now and it is hard to think it will be a problem going forward, as far as yield loss goes i'll know in november. The way I looked at it was I had already spent a lot of $$ getting the crop to july I wasn't going to let a $15 ha spray stop it in its tracks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.